Another Newbie Question

I have had my Msuper V3+  84v 1300wh for just a week now, so far I'm loving this wheel, this weekend I will pull it apart to have a look on the inside to make sure there isn't any bad connections so I can feel a bit safer when riding.

My question is stupid I know so far the fastest I got to 35kmp the temperature was still good only 42 degrees on the gotway app. What I did was lift the wheel up to see what the max speed it will get to before it cuts off and on the app it showed 65kmp before it cut out. I tried it 3 times and it was the same each time, so my question is does this mean in theory it should be able to reach that speed? And I am right to say that it should be safe for me to get to 45-50kmp, not that I will ever try although I have motorcycle gear and I bought heavy duty knee and elbow pads and wrist guard.

15 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I have had my Msuper V3+  84v 1300wh for just a week now, so far I'm loving this wheel, this weekend I will pull it apart to have a look on the inside to make sure there isn't any bad connections so I can feel a bit safer when riding.

My question is stupid I know so far the fastest I got to 35kmp the temperature was still good only 42 degrees on the gotway app. What I did was lift the wheel up to see what the max speed it will get to before it cuts off and on the app it showed 65kmp before it cut out. I tried it 3 times and it was the same each time, so my question is does this mean in theory it should be able to reach that speed? And I am right to say that it should be safe for me to get to 45-50kmp, not that I will ever try although I have motorcycle gear and I bought heavy duty knee and elbow pads and wrist guard.

What you demonstrated was the no-load speed of the wheel.  The V3+ has a realistic max speed of ~45kph.

Unless you feel compelled to risk life and limb I wouldn't exceed 40. And that feels damn fast on the V3. For me, the natural (feels comfortable and not scary) max speed is closer to 36kph.

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

What you demonstrated was the no-load speed of the wheel.  The V3+ has a realistic max speed of ~45kph.

Unless you feel compelled to risk life and limb I wouldn't exceed 40. And that feels damn fast on the V3. For me, the natural (feels comfortable and not scary) max speed is closer to 36kph.

Thanks Marty ok now I know 35kmp is realistically a max safe speed anything above that is asking for trouble.

If you weigh nothing and the road offers no friction resistance to the tire, you can go as fast as as the wheel will turn before switching off (which is apparently 65 km/h).

I agree with Marty, anything above 40 is very likely a bad idea, and you should trust your sense of safety anyways in how fast you go. Also, even with gear you dont want a crash at 45 or 50. I think it should be safe to try 45 for a short time but I would not do more (it also depends on your weight).

In addition, I've had my ACM die on me during a high stress ride (mountain though, not high speed) and it was before there was any temperature warning (I didn't watch the temperature though, but it must have been below warning temperature) so consider that GW wheels may not warn you before something goes wrong.

Nitpick: there's a V3s (1300Wh)  and a V3s+ (1600Wh), but no V3+ :P

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If you weigh nothing and the road offers no friction resistance to the tire, you can go as fast as as the wheel will turn before switching off (which is apparently 65 km/h).

I agree with Marty, anything above 40 is very likely a bad idea, and you should trust your sense of safety anyways in how fast you go. Also, even with gear you dont want a crash at 45 or 50. I think it should be safe to try 45 for a short time but I would not do more (it also depends on your weight).

In addition, I've had my ACM die on me during a high stress ride (mountain though, not high speed) and it was before there was any temperature warning (I didn't watch the temperature though, but it must have been below warning temperature) so consider that GW wheels may not warn you before something goes wrong.

Nitpick: there's a V3s (1300Wh)  and a V3s+ (1600Wh), but no V3+ :P

Thanks also for the advice and thanks for correctly me on another newbie mistake mine must be the V3s :)

24 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Thanks Marty ok now I know 35kmp is realistically a max safe speed anything above that is asking for trouble.

At least that's my experience. Of course it varies by wheel and we all have different comfort levels. But unless I'm trying to win a race, I'm riding to have fun, not be uncomfortable and concerned for my safety. I'm sure you'll find your own cruising speed.

Archived