Rock Wheel Gr16 wobble

Hi there again,

Can anyone answer the question if it,s most likely me causing the wheel to wobble whilst accelerating and coasting??  I have checked my foot placement and checked that the wheel spins up smoothly when lifting the wheel off the ground.  my tire pressure is about 42psi. 

It seems to start off smooth then when I hit say...5mph it seems to come into play.  it unnerves me so I feel reluctant to go any faster. As of one of my original posts I mentioned that my right leg is shorter than my left so I added some rubber padding (10mm) to the right pedal to even up my foot pressure.  Has there ever been an issue electronically with a wheel that might cause this.??

My rock wheel has hardly done any miles and would be classed as quite new. The gears sound very quiet in fact.

I would really put it down to foot placement and technique. Be sure you're not pointing your toes inward or squatting down, even today I get wobbly if I try to squat like when I am going under a low branch..

How long have you been riding? I got the wobbles some times during the first few days, might have been foot placement and/or too much tension in my feet (nerves)... Or balance issues, before getting more experienced with the wheel. And like dmethvin, I still get them while squatting, once or twice when I've forgotten to turn on the riding light after getting going, I've squatted down to press the button, and the wheels starts to wobble, so I better not do it in high speed ;)

Now that's interesting.  I am very new to this and have hardly had any real practice as I stopped using it for the past 3 weeks because I wanted to sort out my dodgey shorter right leg which was causing my left leg to take most of the balancing weight which was fatigued very quickly. I was hoping that evening up my body weight would cure everything including my wobble.  I do tend to bend at the knees a little bit but am trying to stand more upright as I plan to practice more. I am trying to get that planted feel on the pedals beneath both my feet if you see what I mean.  I have just got to practice more and relax more at the same time I suppose.  I was thinking that if it doesn't sort itself out then maybe I'm just not cut out for ECU travel. I hope I don't have to end up selling it. Also I did wonder if the rock wheel was too advanced for someone like me...a beginner. 

Esaj.

I must have had all of about 3 hours of practice so far and that's been spaced out over the past month with a long recent break so from what you have just said, it sounds about right with me.  I can feel the tension in my feet for a start. This is where I am trying to relax and get the planted feeling in me feet to start with.

I am still in the process of learning and I occasionally have the same problem, lately I figured  it out, you are probably not leaning forward enough and accelerating by tilting your feet. Try to lean the whole body forward, that has been the break through for me.

I'd expect the wobbles to stop (or at least happen less and less frequently) over time, once you get more experience with your wheel. Over time you'll notice how small most of the movements actually are that you need to control the wheel, but it takes time to build up that "fine" (ie. precise) muscle control and balance. I think those of us (like me) who hadn't/haven't been doing any sports or such which requires very good balance before starting to ride probably need more time for this to develop.

you are probably not leaning forward enough and accelerating by tilting your feet. Try to lean the whole body forward, that has been the break through for me.

Never thought of that, but quite possible issue too. I do (sometimes, especially when riding tight circles) use only my feet for controlling the speed (ie tilt just my feet forward/back, not my body), but probably couldn't have done that in the first few days without balance issues.

In my experience the bend knees are the problem, you are disconnecting body and the wheel and steer with your feet, it is what every beginner does ( I think ).

The movement should come from leaning upper body. Experts am I correct?

Also, be sure you don't have a wide stance. If your legs and the inside of your feet aren't against the EU you won't have as much control. But also don't think you have to keep a death grip on the thing. If you have them placed comfortably on the pedals you don't need to squeeze it between your legs.

The main message here is that there is not likely to be anything wrong with you wheel, or with you! Practice will take care of it all.

In my experience the bend knees are the problem, you are disconnecting body and the wheel and steer with your feet, it is what every beginner does ( I think ).

The movement should come from leaning upper body. Experts am I correct?

I don't know if I'm an "expert", but I think I only bend my knees a little when I'm getting ready to go over an obstacle or bump (to absorb the shock, and not get thrown off the wheel if going faster over it). I don't tend to focus a lot on how I do things anymore, the riding has become more like instinctive, and I'm more conciously just following my surroundings (in case of obstacles, people, bikes, where to turn etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

In defence of TS i can add that RW 16 really has very sliiiight wobble while cruising on flat surfaces, because its reactions is very sharp: it goes a little back, then accelerate to balance itself to be under the rider, brakes a little and start it over again. Temporary fix is to change speed a little to break out of that wobbly resonance.

Archived