African American Friday! Is that PC Enough?

Hey so did anyone pick up some hot chicks deals on African American Friday?  I bought a new laptop to try out from the Microsoft store (ordered it online - what you kiddin' me I'm not gonna get killed lining up at a store!).  Good thing they have free returns just in case it isn't that good.  For $499 CDN, how good can it be?  I might opt for a faster one, but I don't know.  The i7 i7559 weighs like 6 pounds and is twice the price...  :facepalm:

I'm still tempted to pick up an older 1U server from eBay to play around with.  I got a good deal on a Xeon server a while back, and I installed Windows 7 on it.  I installed Windows Small Business server before on it to check out, but it was a little complicated to set up with all the group policies and stuff so I ditched that.  For my purposes Windows 7 seems to work okay.  With the 1U servers, man are they noisy.  I was watching a Youtube video of an older Dell 1950, and the little fans were just so loud.  :o

You should have gotten one of these kits from Radio Shack when you were younger - I remember the little spring loaded contact points where you could wire up a bunch of different circuits to make all sorts of neat electronic designs.

60in128256box.jpg

My PC is enough for me, ACER,:barf: bought at one of those independent electronic discount stores, open box, had it about 4 or 5 years now windows 7 and the battery still holds a decent charge, but I only plug it in while using the computer or the screen dims to save battery so it pretty much stays at 100% except for a few times forgot to turn on the power strip and watched the computer shut down while using it.:o

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love so there is Black Friday in Canada, too?  I drove to the local Wal-Mart just to see how crowded it was and was surprised to see the parking lot less than half full.  Whoever thought up that concept was a marketing genius, but for some reason people don't seem to be shopping as much as years past, maybe like you more of them are ordering online to avoid the crowds, win win situation:thumbup:

Yeah we in Canada tend to copy what goes on in the US I guess.  Except we don't have super cheap deals up here since our dollar is only worth 74 cents USD.  I didn't see a lot of irresistable deals this year, but I didn't look too hard.  Maybe Cyber Monday will be different?  :rolleyes:   

A lot of people are in tough times here due to the dropping oil market so that could explain less money being spent.  The boom times have come to an end after an especially long prosperous period so people are having a hard wake up call.

I rarely ever shop at malls any more as it's just easier to have items delivered with shopping online.  I was eyeing one of those "Instant Pot" digital pressure cookers, but I've got too many items in the house that I'm just out of room for any more!   I hear Fatwallet is a popular spot for US shoppers.

ps:  PC also means Politically Correct!  :D

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

we in Canada tend to copy what goes on in the US I guess.

I heard a Canadian ex-hockey player say on the sports radio that there is a Thanksgiving in Canada in October, so with his American relatives he actually gets two feasts a year.

Someone asked him if most of the TV shows were American, he said a lot were, then they asked if the shows were dubbed with Canadian accents, and whether the Brady Bunch had ice in the backyard instead of Astro Turf, and did Marcia get hit in the nose by a hockey puck instead of a football:rolleyes:  Not PC, but it was a funny bit.

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Yeah we in Canada tend to copy what goes on in the US I guess.

Canada is just another state that simply doesn't know it for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, esaj said:

PC also means Politically Correct!  :D

Politically Correct is pretty much like Castro....Dead! I.E. The rise of Trump! Now the only problem is all the little snowflake wussies on college campuses who need to find their spaces because they might experience a "microaggression" if they meet someone with a point of view different from there own.

3 hours ago, esaj said:

That's from where our servers reside, every second cabinet holds a set of fans and a water cooling-system, those alone make quite some noise (and eat up ~20kW of power at full blast). And then on top of that come all the fans from the servers and network equipment themselves...

Notice the floor He is standing on.The floor is elevated with removable floor tiles to allow access to the A/C ducting cooling the server racks.

8 hours ago, steve454 said:

Someone asked him if most of the TV shows were American, he said a lot were, then they asked if the shows were dubbed with Canadian accents, and whether the Brady Bunch had ice in the backyard instead of Astro Turf, and did Marcia get hit in the nose by a hockey puck instead of a football:rolleyes:  Not PC, but it was a funny bit.

It's funny - people always mention this Canadian accent, but it's difficult to pinpoint or identify.  I watch a lot of US TV programming, and often I don't notice any difference between Canadianspeak and USspeak.  We all seem to be speaking English even though the US likes to call it "American."  There definitely are some small accent differences of course with southern drawls (Jeff Foxworthy) or New York accents.  It's interesting that I have a hard time identifying our own accent, eh?

8 hours ago, esaj said:

All the "real" (rack-mounted) servers are noisy, making them quiet isn't exactly the number one priority, since they're (usually) run in datacenters / some closet or such anyway...

I try to avoid buying "useless" junk exactly because of all the space they will take. ...

Thought so when I saw the topic name, but you brought up laptops yourself :P

Nice racks!  :innocent1:  There's always something new and interesting to buy, but the limits of storage space are always a problem!  I need to buy a larger house...  I suppose when one posts up too many dual meaning messages people tend to interpret things in more than one way!

4 hours ago, jrkline said:

Canada is just another state that simply doesn't know it for whatever reason.

We actually want you to believe that so you don't invade us while we infiltrate your hockey teams, TV and American Music Awards shows.  :whistling:   You guys are just the one big province to the South!  :P  Have you travelled to Canada much?

Canada is actually a larger country in size than the US, but US centric maps don't tend to show the true size differences.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2596783/Why-world-map-youre-looking-WRONG-Africa-China-Mexico-distorted-despite-access-accurate-satellite-data.html

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Canada is actually a larger country in size than the US, but US centric maps don't tend to show the true size differences.

True,although most of it is under ice and 90% of the population lives within 100 miles of the border. Canada was actually created to be a buffer in case of a Soviet invasion.:D

:roflmao: We have more A&W's here plus it's colder so they probably would just end up stopping the invasion once they reached Canada.  ^_^  I think we have the same population as the State of California minus about 3 million people so yeah it's pretty empty up here.  I was surprised to discover that Canada is the US's main trading partner as I wouldn't have thought that we imported more than other places around the world.  We're your best customer!

7 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I was surprised to discover that Canada is the US's main trading partner as I wouldn't have thought that we imported more than other places around the world.  We're your best customer!

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love are you serious, I did not know that.

17 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Canada was actually created to be a buffer in case of a Soviet invasion.:D

I always suspected that:ph34r:

9 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I always suspected that:ph34r:

Although I said it in jest,there is actually some truth in it.When NORAD was conceived back in the 50's it was mostly covering Canadian territory and designed to use much Canadian airspace as possible to form the "shield" against Soviet incursions.Much in the same way Stalin created the Iron curtain in eastern Europe as a buffer do to Russia's WW2 experience with the 3rd Reich.(I used to be a missile man in the Air force in Noth Dakota in the early 80's).When we would go on a road trip to Canada we would know we had crossed the border when we saw trees.Very few trees in "NoDak".

Archived