Mod to enable tighter turns

Juggler

After trying to see how tight a turn I could do I realised that the limitation was the pedal height.

So as I had previously used some sticky backed felt pads to protect the underside of the pedals from damage, I decided to try putting some pieces between the pedal and the mounting point where it hinges. The result is that the pedals are now slightly higher off the ground and I am now able to turn even tighter.  See pics attached.

tmp_17877-IMG_20161115_094123-752129075.jpg

tmp_17877-IMG_20161115_094213-384911087.jpg

Yes, I get scraped pedals too.  I'm starting to learn the quick pivot technique. @Juggler the way I am learning it is:

1. Start a normal leaning turn and either deliberately or by accident, reduce the speed toward the end to a crawl, so you're probably leaned over a little too much for this lower speed.

2. At that point where you think you are about to loose it, pivot you whole body into the turn. You will be going quite slowly at this time, so a sudden change of wheel direction will not throw you off.  Instead, it will point you in the direction of where you were just about to fall, which is good, because now you are "falling " forward.  Ride off, like you meant it to happen, ' cos you did ? Right?

Try several methods, e.g. Swing your arms and shoulders, or swing your hips, or swing your knees, or any combination.  You will find that a turn you almost lost, becomes a turn that went from sweeping, to tight, and you're off in the other direction. Do dozens of them, until muscle memory kicks in.  You'll love it.

After that we ( you and I ) can work on what @Shoe73 s kids can do.

On 11/19/2016 at 6:03 AM, Shoe73 said:

As a side note: If you turn with a quick pivot of the body you can turn very sharply without leaning. I'm not so good at it but my kids can turn 180 degrees in an area of a square foot or so. 

Hi, I can do fast twisting rotations as I used to ride a manual unicycle but I can't seem to do the tight moving turns I have seen on many YouTube videos

Thanks, Yeah, it's a shame we can't quite see what he's doing above the waist line.  Looks like he slowly twists his shoulders around (arms extended for maximum leverage) then the rest of his body has to follow.  A little adjustment of each stage and you have a 180. Simple. Not!  I'll go try it sometime, but I'm still nursing a sprained wrist from my last low level flight.  It would be really nice to be able to turn around on the spot.  Open up so many more wheeling opportunities 

Archived