Best wire type/gauge?

swvision

Hey Friends,

I just wanted to know if any of you have found an ideal wire to use to connect to the control board various parts like the battery, the charging port/powerswitch, and the battery level indicator leds. Is it better to have the wires stranded versus solid? aluminum vs copper...? Please help if you can.

Best!

swvision

images.jpg

The battery wires and motor wires could be very hot because they pass through very large current. Therefore, must be copper wire, at least 1.5mm^2(AWG 15), and silicone insulated. These wires better not tied together as well in order for good heat dissipation.  Pay attention to the connectors too as those are the weak points. 

The charger wire is less critical but should be silicone insulated to as often used in good brand EUCs.

On 2.11.2016 at 5:52 AM, swvision said:

I just wanted to know if any of you have found an ideal wire to use to connect to the control board various parts like the battery, the charging port/powerswitch, and the battery level indicator leds. Is it better to have the wires stranded versus solid? aluminum vs copper...? Please help if you can.

Power switch should be just a normal signal wire (since it is mostly just a button giving a signal to be processed at the controll board which switches the wheel on/off). Could be shielded, since quite some EMV should be produced by the wheel - imho twisted should be sufficient?

Charging port is quite uncritical, too - ~2A with secure insulation for ~70V. If you want "fast" charging (or just normal charging for bigger batteries) that's easily adopted by a bit thicker wires. (just pay attention that the BMS's charging protection can handle this higher currents!)

Stranded wires should be first choice for both - since there are quite some vibrations happening. Also while opening the chassis these wires are to be bent.

11 minutes ago, zlymex said:

The battery wires and motor wires could be very hot because they pass through very large current. Therefore, must be copper wire, at least 1.5mm^2(AWG 15), and silicone insulated. These wires better not tied together as well in order for good heat dissipation.

At least from the connector to the motor the wires are tied together anyhow and put together in an insulation - so bad for heat dissipation... ;(

I just found the following site: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm stating that for AWG 15 the "Maximum Amps for chassis wiring" 28A "Maximum Amps for power transmission" just 4,7A and a maximum of 8,25kHz for 100% skin depth for solid conductor copper.

If this website is "serious" one should not use solid copper AWG15... imho

Anyone knows which diameter the wires used for the inside coils have?

In regard to the skineffect one should use stranded wires (maybe already with the single strands insulated?). As @EUC Extreme reported these wires can get extremely hot under heavy load - he reported that he managed that these wires soldered themselves off the controll board... ;(

Maybe @EUC Extremecan recommend some wiring that works out for him and should be more than enough for us "normal" riders...;)

11 minutes ago, zlymex said:

Pay attention to the connectors too as those are the weak points. 

+1

36 minutes ago, Chriull said:

At least from the connector to the motor the wires are tied together anyhow and put together in an insulation - so bad for heat dissipation... ;(

I just found the following site: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm stating that for AWG 15 the "Maximum Amps for chassis wiring" 28A "Maximum Amps for power transmission" just 4,7A and a maximum of 8,25kHz for 100% skin depth for solid conductor copper.

If this website is "serious" one should not use solid copper AWG15... imho

Anyone knows which diameter the wires used for the inside coils have?

It is. 

One of my friends fried the connectors and melted the neighboring wire insulation of his IPS 122, and I got rid of the connectors and soldered the wires directly for him. Now days, most of the EUCs use 1.5mm^2 wires that is hard to bend and seems not silicone rubber insulated. They rely on the contact with outer metal tube for heat dissipation. I heard that Gotway begin to use 2.5mm^2 wires(and bigger shaft to accommodate) for their 22 inch EUCs.

According to Gotway, there is no worry about the wires inside the motor, because there are a lot in parallel and cannot be fried before the wire to outside. There is one member in this forum(sorry I forgot the name) disassembled his Kingsong KS14C motor, and here is one of the partial photo.
KS14C-800W.jpg

I've tested passing through 5A current to the charge wire/connector and took a photo using my thermal camera.
FLIR0577E.jpg
The connector is SM2P and the original wires on the right side is 20AWG. I replaced a larger wire of 18AWG on the left side.
The temperature rise for the original wire is 15.5 degree C which is acceptable but it rised to 18.1 degree aproaching the connector. 
The connector is the hotest point.
The 18AWG wire on the other hand has much lower temperature rise of 7 degree C, but again hotter towards the connetor.

Archived