KS16 - RFE's (recommendations for enhancements for a next 16-wheel version)

HermanTheGerman

Because I crossed the 1000 km border recently with my KS16, I was thinking about why I like it so much to ride around with it, and what would be enhancements, which would steer me to buy a new wheel ?

I must say before, I'm more the long range cruiser than the trick rider, but I'm also riding offroad a lot, so a 16"-wheel is optimal for me as a reasonable compromise (18ers are to heavy and bulky, and 14ers are more difficult to ride on gravelroads, meadows and the like, and usually have less speed).

So my enhancement points for a 100% optimal 16er wheel would be:

1) it should be easily possible to change the batteries in the field, although the wheel-body should be waterproof (I know, wire connector plugs must be designed which are proven against losing contact even on bumpy terrain, but I think this is possible),

2) the wheel should have a 100% waterproof body, so that it's possible to ride it in heavy rain or through puddles (I would not need the speakers, if they make this difficult),

3) everything should be made redundant, so that it is not possible to have a crash because of a burning fuse, sudden death of an electronic board or something,

4) it should have a range of (real) 60 km, and a safe maxspeed of 35 km/h (the latter is not that important, 30 would be also fine, and the first would be not that important, if batteries are changeable in the field),

5) It should be as lightweight as possible (I know this is difficult, but would be possible e.g. with smaller, but fieldchangeable batteries).

Just wanted to share my dreams. :)

1 hour ago, HermanTheGerman said:

1) it should be easily possible to change the batteries in the field, although the wheel-body should be waterproof (I know, wire connector plugs must be designed which are proven against losing contact even on bumpy terrain, but I think this is possible),

Any ideas why the Kingsong 14B with exchangeable batteries never really caught on? It seems that while users seem to ask for this feature all the time, producers are hesitant and sells seem not have gone through the roof.

1 hour ago, HermanTheGerman said:

3) everything should be made redundant, so that it is not possible to have a crash because of a burning fuse, sudden death of an electronic board or something,

Having a fuse seems to be an utter design failure in the first place, because it protects the health of the material at the expense of the health of the rider. That just cannot be right, never, ever.

I would recommend raising the pedal height. I own an Inmotion V5F+ and a Kingsong 16. The pedal height is among the few pluses the Inmotion has.

I'm with @HermanTheGerman, change battery can result in a lighter but an heavier backpack, I would like to have more power to exercise higher torque,not speed, in accelerating/ decelerating and going uphill/downhill and off road  and therefore having a higher safety margin on over lean and following cutoff faceplant, the 30 kmph as a start tiltback , like it is today, is ok for me

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2016 at 0:28 PM, EricGhost said:

I would like to have more power to exercise higher torque,not speed, in accelerating/ decelerating and going uphill/downhill and off road  and therefore having a higher safety margin

I agree. I think we've reached a point of diminishing returns with this focus on higher and higher speeds. I wonder when the EUC companies will decide the wheel is fast enough? I wish they would start working on hill climbing performance. For me, a wheel that can't make it to the top of the hill (or slows to a crawl) is NOT FUN, no matter how fast it can go!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived