Felt like a Terrorist with my EUC

Citi Wheel

So I took the subway today in Manhattan. I usually don't take the subway because it's honestly faster to take the EUC directly to most destinations in Manhattan, but it was raining. The station and my destination are each a 3 avenue walk (about a mile total), so I rode the IPS zero to the station. I've never felt more uncomfortable bring an EUC on the subway. Mind you this is days after the terrorist attack in Manhattan, and as of this morning they still hadn't reported catching the guy. I just felt like so many people were staying at the IPS, wondering if it was a threat to them or not. Maybe now that they caught the guy, people won't be doing that as much but it def felt awkward this morning.

3 hours ago, logos122 said:

So I took the subway today in Manhattan. I usually don't take the subway because it's honestly faster to take the EUC directly to most destinations in Manhattan, but it was raining. The station and my destination are each a 3 avenue walk (about a mile total), so I rode the IPS zero to the station. I've never felt more uncomfortable bring an EUC on the subway. Mind you this is days after the terrorist attack in Manhattan, and as of this morning they still hadn't reported catching the guy. I just felt like so many people were staying at the IPS, wondering if it was a threat to them or not. Maybe now that they caught the guy, people won't be doing that as much but it def felt awkward this morning.

I believe you, but it seems irrational for people to think this. Does your IPS really look like some homecrafted device? Why should anything that looks mass produced instill doubt and fear. People!

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I believe you, but it seems irrational for people to think this. Does your IPS really look like some homecrafted device? Why should anything that looks mass produced instill doubt and fear. People!

No it really doesn't. I guessing it's because people don't recognize what it is and they get worried. The second they see me riding it on the street though, they seem more as ease because realize why I was carrying it around.

I take my Ninebot to the movie theater all the time and park it on the wheelchair space.

One time an older guy that was sitting right next to the wheelchair space. He saw the parked NB and pushed it, knocking it over. I saw him from my seat a few rows up, so I came down, he asked what it was. I told him, turned it on and moved it around (trailers were on, so I didn't ride it). He then said, well you can't leave it here. I said, I'm just two rows up! He replied it doesn't matter. He doesn't know what it is. So, without wanting trouble, I took it up to my row and put it under the seat.

I don't know who would put green and red LEDs in the shape of a circle on an explosive device (other than a movie) but oh well.

Later he and his wife saw me outside the theater and apologized.

13 minutes ago, noisycarlos said:

I take my Ninebot to the movie theater all the time and park it on the wheelchair space.

One time an older guy that was sitting right next to the wheelchair space. He saw the parked NB and pushed it, knocking it over. I saw him from my seat a few rows up, so I came down, he asked what it was. I told him, turned it on and moved it around (trailers were on, so I didn't ride it). He then said, well you can't leave it here. I said, I'm just two rows up! He replied it doesn't matter. He doesn't know what it is. So, without wanting trouble, I took it up to my row and put it under the seat.

I don't know who would put green and red LEDs in the shape of a circle on an explosive device (other than a movie) but oh well.

People will always try to test your reaction. It's best to estimate their reaction and compensate for it. Humans, by nature, are afraid of the unknown. Now granted, it would be difficult to educate each and every human on the planet on your own mindset. So, It's best to change the self than the external world around you. You'll find that the others will then be at ease when you give them the benefit of the doubt.

9 hours ago, noisycarlos said:

This is why part of me wants EUC to become more popular. The other part doesn't because I know if they become too popular there will be some push back from lawmakers.

6 hours ago, logos122 said:

This is why part of me wants EUC to become more popular. The other part doesn't because I know if they become too popular there will be some push back from lawmakers.

Im with you bro. I share the same sentiment. This is why i try to keep a low profile. I do show up in the city and in public transportation with the wheels and listen to music but when i pass a cop i always try to keep a lower profile

4 hours ago, Cloud said:

Im with you bro. I share the same sentiment. This is why i try to keep a low profile. I do show up in the city and in public transportation with the wheels and listen to music but when i pass a cop i always try to keep a lower profile

Fortunately they are  legal in California (where I wheel), effective 2016. They can be used anywhere a bicycle can be ridden.

8 hours ago, Boxer Rebellion said:

I'd say we need to all EUC riders, from all walks of background, from all various brand of EUCs need to band together and designate an EUC day.

perhaps, maybe couple with ride to work day

Yea let's start a unicycle gang! 

2 weeks ago I rode my EUC in the boardwalk of long beach, 2 cops stopped me and told me it was not allowed, while all kinds of bicycles passed us by. No reason was given.

I did bring it into subway once and and I put it under the seat in a corner. Nobody said anything. NYC subway  is a place where you see all kind of weird things. I don't think anyone would be particularly interested in what that is. Only the police would do something, so keep the low profile.

Archived