Anyone for a Griffith Park ride this weekend?

Marty Backe

I had a blast riding around Griffith Park and want to ride it again this weekend (Saturday or Sunday), Sept 17/18. The loop is about 12 miles with a ~800 foot gain and loss in elevation and much of it is blocked to cars. This is not off-road riding but your wheel needs to have the range along with plenty of margin because of the elevation gains.

If anyone in the Los Angeles area is interested we could meet there and ride together. I think it's best to start the ride by 9am as the hordes of pedestrians visiting the Observatory starts getting heavy later in the day.

Saturday sounds good. Lets see if anyone else joins in, then we can sort the details out on Friday.

Have you ridden this before?

That's look like fun, can you tell me the loop / route.

10 minutes ago, nbxpq3 said:

That's look like fun, can you tell me the loop / route.

We'll be meeting at the parking lot at the base of the mountain. I'll provide more specific instructions Friday.

The actual loop is hard to describe. I don't know if the following is exactly correct, but it looks close. http://www.mapmyride.com/us/glendale-ca/griffith-park-loop-route-2130868

Let us know if you'll join in.

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Saturday sounds good. Lets see if anyone else joins in, then we can sort the details out on Friday.

Have you ridden this before?

No.I don't think I have ever even been to Griffith Park but have wheeled in many places such as Hong Kong,Shenzhen China,Vegas strip and various locals in Socal.

1 hour ago, jrkline said:

No.I don't think I have ever even been to Griffith Park but have wheeled in many places such as Hong Kong,Shenzhen China,Vegas strip and various locals in Socal.

This will be my first time riding with someone else. Should be fun. Griffith Park is really enjoyable - fantastic views of Los Angeles, and part of the ride can be a visit to the Hollywood Sign.

30 minutes ago, Questor said:

I'd love to go with you guys but my wheel is insufficient to the task.

I have a better wheel on order and hope to join you in the future.

Q~

Even if you can't ride the entire loop I'm sure you'd enjoy riding up to and around the Observatory and then out and back to the Hollywood sign. There's nice riding grounds here even for wheels without a large range. If your Saturday morning is free, think about joining us for the first half of the ride.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Even if you can't ride the entire loop I'm sure you'd enjoy riding up to and around the Observatory and then out and back to the Hollywood sign. There's nice riding grounds here even for wheels without a large range. If your Saturday morning is free, think about joining us for the first half of the ride.

I'd like to join you but my wheel is only good for about six miles on flat smooth terrain.

I'll need to wait till I get my MSuper V3 in about six weeks.

Q~

4 minutes ago, Questor said:

I'd like to join you but my wheel is only good for about six miles on flat smooth terrain.

Q~

Oh, OK. Sounds like my 14" generic wheel - I get about 6 miles on it. You'd probably be able to ride from the base parking lot up to and around the Observatory (maybe 2 miles round trip).

I'll be doing this ride more (it really is a great place to ride), so I"ll see you down the road ...

36 minutes ago, Questor said:

Q~

Go ahead and join us for the ride.I can supply a loaner wheel and or xtra battery pack for your wheel since my first wheel was also the Huanxi.

8 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Go ahead and join us for the ride.I can supply a loaner wheel and or xtra battery pack for your wheel since my first wheel was also the Huanxi.

That's a great offer!  If you can provide a charged battery pack, I'll try to do the whole loop with you guys.

Count me in!

Q~

15 minutes ago, Questor said:

That's a great offer!  If you can provide a charged battery pack, I'll try to do the whole loop with you guys.

Count me in!

Q~

Cool.Be sure to bring a backpack or something to carry an extra pack or two.

This is looking good guys. Hopefully all four of us will make it.

Here's a Google map link to where we can meet. Right across from the Greek theater. There's free parking all along that road, and there won't be any problems finding a spot at ~9am on Saturday. https://www.google.com/maps/dir//34.1195267,-118.2951409/@34.1207613,-118.2949263,933m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

I'll e-mail each of you my cell number, but I'm sure we'll find each other. I'll be driving a dark blue Avalanche, parking near that Google spot.

7 hours ago, diegoborgh said:

Would love to go but 'm just starting to use it, seems like a tough ride with the inclines. But I'll be checking this often!

The inclines really aren't very steep - it's an easy ride. But you should feel comfortable controlling your wheel before tackling it.

2 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

where are the pictures and videos.... please :)

I'm uploading the video now - a long video, but you can dip into and out of it see what you want.

We had a great time, lots of mountain riding. Rode up to the Griffith Observatory and then headed off to the Hollywood Sign, getting lost along the way, but eventually getting there.

I think this is the very beginnings of a Southern California Chapter - of what I'm not sure ;-)

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm uploading the video now - a long video, but you can dip into and out of it see what you want.

We had a great time, lots of mountain riding. Rode up to the Griffith Observatory and then headed off to the Hollywood Sign, getting lost along the way, but eventually getting there.

I think this is the very beginnings of a Southern California Chapter - of what I'm not sure ;-)

i'm SO happy to hear this. can't wait to see it

getting lost is fun. glad you guys had a wonderful time

a southern cali chapter would be amazing

2 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

i'm SO happy to hear this. can't wait to see it

getting lost is fun. glad you guys had a wonderful time

a southern cali chapter would be amazing

Yeah, I think we'll be forming a chapter of some sorts here. We figure there has to be more than 4 people in all of Southern California who ride EUCs. Finding them is another story.

Archived