Battery Charging Bag Mod

SuperSport

Hey everyone, I wanted to share my new Battery Carrying/Charging Bag Mod

I got this idea from someone on these forums, so I wanted to do my own because I carry an extra battery with me on rides.  See my Quick Battery Change thread here.   This will protect my battery while carrying it, and also makes it easier to charge since I don't need to charge inside the NineBot anymore.

The other person that I saw had used a plastic box, so I went to WalMart and Home Depot to try to find a box, but could not find anything that fit.  When I got home, I realized my GoPro Camera Case was a perfect fit!  I already knew it fit my backpack, because I've been using it for my Camera Equipment.  I ordered a replacement Camera Bag for under $10 from Here, and will carry both cases in my BackPack when it arrives.  I ordered the extra Charging Port from ForwardCA.com from Here.

And here is how I did it

Could you add another plug to your system "going the other direction" so you could plug the charged external battery into the Ninebot, so it would essentially feed the internal battery as you ride? I know you have the battery compartment rigged with magnets so its easy to swap batteries, but was wondering if it would even work that way.

On second thought, the charger connector is pretty fragile, and it would be pretty easy to break something in the event of even a minor mishap while riding...

Yes @dbfrese, I could add a cable going from the Battery OUT plug on this battery into the NineBot IN plug charging port.  I understand this works to some extent, but not really well since it will act like a slow charge.  You would likely run out of battery before enough could be put back in.

For now, swapping the battery will work for me.  I would have done the 1Rad battery upgrade if it could have been sent to the US.  I think at this point, I'll probably upgrade to the MSuper v3 as my next wheel so I don't need to do all these mods.  That is unless NineBot comes out with a long distance wheel that is better.

On 2 September 2016 at 9:44 PM, SuperSport said:

Yes @dbfrese, I could add a cable going from the Battery OUT plug on this battery into the NineBot IN plug charging port.  I understand this works to some extent, but not really well since it will act like a slow charge.  You would likely run out of battery before enough could be put back in.

For now, swapping the battery will work for me.  I would have done the 1Rad battery upgrade if it could have been sent to the US.  I think at this point, I'll probably upgrade to the MSuper v3 as my next wheel so I don't need to do all these mods.  That is unless NineBot comes out with a long distance wheel that is better.

I contacted them over a week ago by email (in German) and did not get a response re: shipping to the US. Glad I stopped just shy of sending payment by PayPal. If they had at least responded, I could have taken delivery in the UK or NZ and transhipped to the US at my own cost. 

4 hours ago, litewave said:

I contacted them over a week ago by email (in German) and did not get a response re: shipping to the US. Glad I stopped just shy of sending payment by PayPal. If they had at least responded, I could have taken delivery in the UK or NZ and transhipped to the US at my own cost. 

There was a time that I would have had you help me to get them here too.  At this point, I believe I'll save my money for a different wheel.  I've got a lot of money into this one, and it's still restricted on distance and speed.  It's time for an upgrade. ;)

39 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

There was a time that I would have had you help me to get them here too.  At this point, I believe I'll save my money for a different wheel.  I've got a lot of money into this one, and it's still restricted on distance and speed.  It's time for an upgrade. ;)

The problem, I think, is not with the Ninebot, so much, but in changing expectations. After gaining experience, I have wanted to travel farther and faster, too. I just don't know if I can trust myself with a wheel that can roll at speeds of 40km/h, or whether the experience would be as enjoyable while mindful of the risks involved.

49 minutes ago, litewave said:

The problem, I think, is not with the Ninebot, so much, but in changing expectations. After gaining experience, I have wanted to travel farther and faster, too. I just don't know if I can trust myself with a wheel that can roll at speeds of 40km/h, or whether the experience would be as enjoyable while mindful of the risks involved.

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the NineBot.  It's an Amazing wheel and has taken me to the next step.  It's my second wheel.  I've got around 700 miles on it now and have NEVER had a breakdown on it, EVER!

If I buy another wheel, which I probably will, I'll be setting a speed limiter on it so that I'm not tempted to go faster than I'm comfortable with.  I'm now 50, and on blood thinners due to heart attacks, so I don't need to be falling down and scraping myself up.  I'd look like the movie Carrie!

Just didn't want you to think I don't like the NineBot, because I Very Much do.  I'm just ready for the next step.  I will miss the comfort of this wheel though.  It rides like no other...  And it's simply gorgeous!12716428_188710008173687_4926064796006214778_o.jpg

Carrie.jpg

On 5 September 2016 at 0:00 AM, SuperSport said:

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the NineBot.  It's an Amazing wheel and has taken me to the next step.  It's my second wheel.  I've got around 700 miles on it now and have NEVER had a breakdown on it, EVER!

If I buy another wheel, which I probably will, I'll be setting a speed limiter on it so that I'm not tempted to go faster than I'm comfortable with.  I'm now 50, and on blood thinners due to heart attacks, so I don't need to be falling down and scraping myself up.  I'd look like the movie Carrie!

Just didn't want you to think I don't like the NineBot, because I Very Much do.  I'm just ready for the next step.  I will miss the comfort of this wheel though.  It rides like no other...  And it's simply gorgeous!12716428_188710008173687_4926064796006214778_o.jpg

Carrie.jpg

Your wheel and accessories are best-in-class, in my humble opinion. Gotway could use your design skills!

Nice touch of mild horror/comedy - using the image from the classic Carrie, which was much better.

On 3/9/2016 at 3:44 AM, SuperSport said:

I am not very sure of this "slow charge".

AFAIK, if you do not limit the current in any way, the internal battery could drain a lot of current of the external battery, which could be above the limits of the schottky input diodes in the charge side of the BMS. This could blow them.

Why high current? Well, you could have the internal battery empty and the external one full, or not at the same level. Or you could drain internal battery faster (going up over a hill, in example) so voltage difference between batteries will increase, even if external battery is connected from the begining (and both batteries full).

Archived