Most miles on an EUC before major mechanical problems

Citi Wheel

I'd be interested to know the most miles someone has logged on any EUC brand before something major needing to be fixed. I asked because I've seen some brands, like ninebot have advertise 10,000+ miles before things like the motor needing to be replaced. I know a very high mileage EUC might be rare to come by since they are still relatively a new mode of transport, and we're always upgrading to the newest baddest EUC out there, but what's the most mileage you've put or seen on any brand?

To start, my old ninebot had about 1600 miles before the infamous firmware update fried my motherboard.

13 hours ago, logos122 said:

I'd be interested to know the most miles someone has logged on any EUC brand before something major needing to be fixed. I asked because I've seen some brands, like ninebot have advertise 10,000+ miles before things like the motor needing to be replaced. I know a very high mileage EUC might be rare to come by since they are still relatively a new mode of transport, and we're always upgrading to the newest baddest EUC out there, but what's the most mileage you've put or seen on any brand?

To start, my old ninebot had about 1600 miles before the infamous firmware update fried my motherboard.

@logos122what about hours?  I would love to know how many hours are on your Ninebot, will the App still connect and even so you may not have that on your app.  Mine shows total hours a little over 45, which divided by total mileage comes out to 2.8mph, but that includes time stationary to rest my feet, look at scenery, test the auto turnoff feature and the one or two minutes each ride putting on gloves and helmet.  If you rode 10mph you would have at least 160 hours on the wheel, probably have more than that.  10,000 miles would be at least a 1000 hours.  That seems pretty good for an electric motor that is constantly varying speed and load.

For a motor like that 10.000 miles is nothing. Modern brushless electric motors are basically maintenance free, the only things that may need to be replaced from time to time are the bearings. And if you use sealed, high-quality name brand bearing and avoid the worst dusty or muddy conditions I can't see that happen anytime soon. Perhaps after maybe 100,000 miles. The only other source of defects is the motor windings - the isolation may become defective and short circuit when you overheat them or due to constant vibrations, or the permanent magnets are demagnetized by overheating. That is common source of defects with motors used in powerful R/C vehicles. With our EUCs I am not sure that is even possible, looking at the respective sizes of the motor, the power board and the battery packs.

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

@logos122what about hours?  I would love to know how many hours are on your Ninebot, will the App still connect and even so you may not have that on your app.  Mine shows total hours a little over 45, which divided by total mileage comes out to 2.8mph, but that includes time stationary to rest my feet, look at scenery, test the auto turnoff feature and the one or two minutes each ride putting on gloves and helmet.  If you rode 10mph you would have at least 160 hours on the wheel, probably have more than that.  10,000 miles would be at least a 1000 hours.  That seems pretty good for an electric motor that is constantly varying speed and load.

If I remember correctly I was averaging about 6 mph so I had rode it approximately 260 hours. I can't recall exact numbers though. Losing the roding info was actually the biggest annoyance with the motherboard frying

10 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

For a motor like that 10.000 miles is nothing. Modern brushless electric motors are basically maintenance free, the only things that may need to be replaced from time to time are the bearings. And if you use sealed, high-quality name brand bearing and avoid the worst dusty or muddy conditions I can't see that happen anytime soon. Perhaps after maybe 100,000 miles. The only other source of defects is the motor windings - the isolation may become defective and short circuit when you overheat them or due to constant vibrations, or the permanent magnets are demagnetized by overheating. That is common source of defects with motors used in powerful R/C vehicles. With our EUCs I am not sure that is even possible, looking at the respective sizes of the motor, the power board and the battery packs.

I had to retire my generic 14 inch and an old ninebot because it felts like the motor was slipping. I'm not actually sure what was going on but the wheel would kinda of slip forward when just starting to accelerate from a stand still. Another one of my friends with a ninebot reported the same issue

Most likely a speed controller issue. The cheap electrolyte condensers are usually the first parts to go -- LED lights and flourescent lights have the same issue. Also a great many consumer electronics. Manufacturers have no interest in changing that - it lets them sell their products cheaper and the cusomer has to  buy a new one earlier.

What is the wheel used for and in what environmental conditions, cold, hot, dry, wet etc. Are you riding solely on well paved bike lanes it will last longer, are you @EUC Extreme it will last shorter :D

Hard disk drives are usually rated at least 1 million hours to failure, not exactly the same but worth mentioning. I'm pretty sure the motor part would be the last thing to break. More worried about aging and damaged battery cells over the years, pedal hinges bending/breaking, bearings wearing out, the only shock absorption is the tire so with bumps and cracks it takes more beating the smaller the wheel is, all weight is on one bearing instead of two on bikes, rider weight will have a big effect on mechanical parts, bad water proofing leading to cheap capacitors etc. wearing out faster due to moisture, rusting metal parts, overheating components etc.

Hours in use could very well be a much better measurement than mileage. Also as top speed varies a lot a higher average speed would have a shorter life span.. I don't think so. The faster and bigger wheels currently should be high quality enough to last at the very least 5 years without issues (compared to some toyish offerings which likely won't ). Time will tell (unless people keep switching every year like with phones!)

I now have 1155.7 km on my v5f+ after 1.5 months.. This is my first wheel so I ride maybe more today then I'll do years later, also the distance is high because I use it for commuting to work. Hell, past couple of weeks the weather was so nice I even got off the train on my way home from work a station earlier just for wheeling a longer distance every day :wub:

Archived