KS16 uphill riding on rough terrain

HermanTheGerman

When I ride on asphalt, everything is fine and feels good, also uphill.

But when I ride on stony terrain or gravel roads, especially uphill, then I have the feeling as if I would slip off the pedals on the front side, and I cannot accelerate as I would like to.

If it would tilt back a little bit more, then it would be easier to lean forward and keep the feet on the pedals.

Is it just my little riding experience, or can that angle be changed somehow ( I saw a setting in the app, but am not sure if it is exactly that what I want) ?

Thx for any hints and tips, HtG

You can calibrate the Ks16 to quite any angle to compensate this tilt forward. But than the pedals are tilt back while normal riding.

and/or you can put grip tape in the pedals to make them less slippery.

the best, of course would be a new firmware that does not allow this "stupid" tilt forward.

There's this uphill where my X8 is just about able to climb all the way. At my first ride with the KS16 I thought I'll show who's the boss... To my great surprise though, the KS16 didn't manage. My initial thought was like... What the heck? Is the X8 even more capable of climbing uphill? Disappointed, I walked up and continued my ride. Meanwhile I thought about it. I felt the power of the wheel being much stronger than the X8 so I decided to give it another go. Rode back down the hill and again upwards. This time I was prepared to really force the wheel if so I had to lean 45 degrees forward. That did it! The wheel is definitively powerful enough, but you have to force it much more than the X8. Now I ride this hill without any problem. Different wheels are like different cars in how they behave.

I'm not sure if the wheel can detect the angle of the ground? If so, I think the X8 is slightly tilting back if riding upwards, making it more comfortable pressing down the pedals. I don't know, but it feels like there is some kind of difference here.

what works best for me on steep offroad-terrain is to

- stand up straight (moving your legs to the back of the legpads)

- press your legs together

- bend your knees again, pushing the KS16 forward (foam on the legpads helps if your trousers slip too much)

but keep an eye on the temperature ;) and use wrist/kneeprotection. While speeding uphill is funny as hell, its much harder to run off and you hit the ground much quicker than on a straight road.

i used to calibrate the pedals a little bit upwards on the older firmwares in the beginning, but the smallest degree the calibration would allow is already a bit too much... works great going uphill, okayish on straights and quite uncomftable going downhill (without turning your wheel 180°). 

Archived