EUC Interface Arduino Library (T-vK)

euc

14 minutes ago, euc said:

I recently ordered one of these 10 dollar smartwatches. Maybe something interesting can be done with it. But I think it can probably only act as a slave device.

I guess the problem with that cheap watches is that they will leave production and there is no community - compare with pebble community, go to Android store and search "pebble".

Se here technical details written from hackers community: http://www.pebbledev.org/

Official pebble developers: https://developer.pebble.com/

Pebble have success in market and they also provide cheap versions of $100 that we can buy even more cheap on ebay, used. Seems a good investment to me.

2 hours ago, euc said:

What do you think guys? Could that actually be a touch screen?

I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding a simple 1.4-2 inch touch screen for around $5. I mean you can buy a whole smartwatch for $12, but I just need the screen.

None of the other sellers I checked mentioned it having touch support, so don't know...

I have one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LCD-module-TFT-2-4-inch-TFT-LCD-screen-for-Arduino-UNO-R3-Board-and-support/32552043575.html

It's a 2.4-inch TFT with touch, I had some trouble getting it to work at first (but did eventually). It's a "shield"-type, ie. it's meant to be inserted directly on top of Uno, but maybe you could just wire it from further away and maybe use some logic chips for multiplexing to save pins on the Arduino.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, esaj said:

None of the other sellers I checked mentioned it having touch support, so don't know...

Yes, that's why I was so confused.
I also couldn't really find a datasheet for it.
I found this though: http://www.elecfreaks.com/wiki/index.php?title=1.8"_TFT_LCD:_TFT01-1.8#Pin_definition_and_Rating ant it mentions a "touch bus".

8 hours ago, esaj said:

I have one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LCD-module-TFT-2-4-inch-TFT-LCD-screen-for-Arduino-UNO-R3-Board-and-support/32552043575.html

It's a 2.4-inch TFT with touch, I had some trouble getting it to work at first (but did eventually). It's a "shield"-type, ie. it's meant to be inserted directly on top of Uno, but maybe you could just wire it from further away and maybe use some logic chips for multiplexing to save pins on the Arduino.

The ESP-32 will have 33 GPIO pins, so that shouldn't really be a problem. But I think that 2.4 inches will be too much for a smartwatch. I mean I really like the idea of a smartwatch that has a bigger screen than a normal smartwatch, 2.4" seems too much though, but it's hard to say without actually having one in front of me. 
Is your screen a touch screen?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, euc said:

The ESP-32 will have 33 GPIO pins, so that shouldn't really be a problem. But I think that 2.4 inches will be too much for a smartwatch. I mean I really like the idea of a smartwatch that has a bigger screen than a normal smartwatch, 2.4" seems too much though, but it's hard to say without actually having one in front of me. 
Is your screen a touch screen?

Definitely too big for smart-watch, maybe smart-wristband or PIPBoy ;) It should be a touchscreen, I tested it sometime last December or so, so don't really remember what examples I went through, all I remember is that I needed to try a bunch of TFT-libraries before getting it to work (even similar looking 2.4" TFTs sold in Aliexpress can actually use different chips for controlling the TFT).

• Upvote 1

I think I might actually prefer such a big screen. I don't know. I will order a few of those today.
Maybe you can answer a couple of questions for me. 

How well can you read the screen on full brightness outside and is it possible to read it when the sun is shining? 
How much power does it draw at a reasonable brightness?

edit:
Thinking about it, a resistive touch screen might not be a very good choice. I think capacitive touch would be nicer for swiping gestures etc. And the ESP-32 actually even has a capacitive touch sensor built in.

Edited by euc
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, euc said:

I think I might actually prefer such a big screen. I don't know. I will order a few of those today.
Maybe you can answer a couple of questions for me. 

How well can you read the screen on full brightness outside and is it possible to read it when the sun is shining? 
How much power does it draw at a reasonable brightness?

I'll need to dig up the board and figure out again how to make it work :P  Of course I didn't write down which libraries I used or if they needed any tweaking... ;)  If I get it working, I'll then hook it up on a breadboard to get the meters in-between for measuring. But, as usual, I've also got other stuff going on, so it might take a while.

edit:
Thinking about it, a resistive touch screen might not be a very good choice. I think capacitive touch would be nicer for swiping gestures etc. And the ESP-32 actually even has a capacitive touch sensor built in.

Yeah, I think it's mentioned in some sellers entries that it's resistive, not capacitive...

Oh, almost forgot. I have attached watch straps to the prototype now :D

IMG-20160827-WA0004.jpg

That's pretty cool, although maybe a bit bulky :P

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, esaj said:

I'll need to dig up the board and figure out again how to make it work :P  Of course I didn't write down which libraries I used or if they needed any tweaking... ;)  If I get it working, I'll then hook it up on a breadboard to get the meters in-between for measuring. But, as usual, I've also got other stuff going on, so it might take a while.

Wow, you are awesome! :)

4 minutes ago, esaj said:

That's pretty cool, although maybe a bit bulky :P

I know, but once I have the ESP-32 and found a better watch strap, it will be really slim.

• Upvote 1

I dug up the board, but so far testing some libraries couldn't get it to display anything but plain white. However, a TouchShield-demo works with it, although, it gives out incorrect X and Y-coordinates, and the pressure is reported in "inverse" (pressing harder gives lower values, light tapping gives higher values)... but at least that seems to work  (ie. it reacts to touch and sends out at least something)   ;)   The chip-model the identification programs give out is weird (0x1602, or 0x011602), and so far I haven't managed to find anything that would work... but I still think I did manage to draw something on it back then :D 

Anyway, there are those same displays available with different driver chips, for example, this seller does mention that it uses "spfd5408 controller with built in video RAM buffer"

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Arduino-UNO-2-4-inch-TFT-touch-screen-supporting-For-UNO-R3/32254339975.html

And here's the library for that chip:   https://github.com/JoaoLopesF/SPFD5408  (didn't work on mine)

All I've got out from mine is this:

Read Registers on MCUFRIEND UNO shield
controllers either read as single 16-bit
e.g. the ID is at readReg(0)
or as a sequence of 8-bit values
in special locations (first is dummy)

reg(0x0000) 00 00    ILI9320, ILI9325, ILI9335, ...
reg(0x0004) 00 38 80 00    Manufacturer ID
reg(0x0009) 00 00 61 00 00    Status Register
reg(0x00BF) 00 00 00 00 00 00    ILI9481
reg(0x00D0) 00 00    HX8357
reg(0x00D3) 00 01 16 02    ILI9341, ILI9488
reg(0x00EF) 00 00 00 00 00 00    ILI9327

The actual chip is between the display and the board, so I can't see what it is :P

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, esaj said:

I dug up the board, but so far testing some libraries couldn't get it to display anything but plain white. However, a TouchShield-demo works with it, although, it gives out incorrect X and Y-coordinates, and the pressure is reported in "inverse" (pressing harder gives lower values, light tapping gives higher values)... but at least that seems to work  (ie. it reacts to touch and sends out at least something)   ;)   The chip-model the identification programs give out is weird (0x1602, or 0x011602), and so far I haven't managed to find anything that would work... but I still think I did manage to draw something on it back then :D 

Anyway, there are those same displays available with different driver chips, for example, this seller does mention that it uses "spfd5408 controller with built in video RAM buffer"

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Arduino-UNO-2-4-inch-TFT-touch-screen-supporting-For-UNO-R3/32254339975.html

And here's the library for that chip:   https://github.com/JoaoLopesF/SPFD5408  (didn't work on mine)

All I've got out from mine is this:

Read Registers on MCUFRIEND UNO shield
controllers either read as single 16-bit
e.g. the ID is at readReg(0)
or as a sequence of 8-bit values
in special locations (first is dummy)

reg(0x0000) 00 00    ILI9320, ILI9325, ILI9335, ...
reg(0x0004) 00 38 80 00    Manufacturer ID
reg(0x0009) 00 00 61 00 00    Status Register
reg(0x00BF) 00 00 00 00 00 00    ILI9481
reg(0x00D0) 00 00    HX8357
reg(0x00D3) 00 01 16 02    ILI9341, ILI9488
reg(0x00EF) 00 00 00 00 00 00    ILI9327

The actual chip is between the display and the board, so I can't see what it is :P

Thank you so much esaj, you're amazing! :)

• 2 years later...

Has anyone got this library, specifically the DirectReceiveDataSimple example going? I tried with my mTen3 but no luck. If I connect to the euc using bluetooth serial I receive data and it seems that the protocol has not changed since this library was written, but when I try direct communication using arduino I have no luck. Maybe I'm connecting it wrong? For this example I connect only GND on the BLE module to GND on arduino and RX of the BLE module (I hope that means TX of the control board) to the RX of the arduino. Is that correct?

I'm trying to take control of the LEDs but first need to get the voltage and speed values from the board.

16 hours ago, Hansolo said:

TX from BLE module to RX of the Arduino

But why? I don't want to receive information from the BLE module, I want to receive information from the board. So according to my understanding it should work like this:

CB                | TX    | RX | GND
BLE              | RX    | TX | GND   - RX to TX since they are communicating
ARDUINO    | RX    |       | GND   - RX to CB TX to listen to the info but since CB TX is not accessible directly - connected trough BLE RX

Can you please explain where is my mistake?
Anyway I tried your suggestion and no luck :/ I'll have to look inside the library more closely I guess

Ok I figured it out :) 

My connection is correct. (if someone is trying the same please disregard Hansolo's advice)

My assumption that the protocol has not changed was wrong. It is the same as the library assumes apart from the ending. Library assumes all zeroes there and checks for them. Mten3 has some values there. Maybe its info like fan status etc IDK. 

Anyways DirectReceiveDataSimple works after disabling the check. But DirectReceiveDataAdvanced did not work out of the box but for some reason acceleration printout had to be moved after others. I have no idea why... :/  Same with DirectLedWheel.

So I got it working now I need program the LED part to my liking and maybe add a control button :)

• 9 months later...