Connect gps tracker to the Kingsong battery? (KS-16)

flass

Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding connecting a gps tracker to the Kingsong KS-16. I have a small gps tracker which does not have a very high capacity battery in itself, but can be connected to external power within the voltage range 5-80 V, according to the it's specifications. I am curious to know if anyone, who have had a look inside their kingsong ks-16 wheel, know if there might be a possibility for me to disassemble it and connect this tracker to the internal battery of the kingsong wheel? Whether there is free connectors to use or anywhere it can be connected. Ideally it would be the best if the battery could provide power to the gps tracker even if the power is off of the wheel, but the internal battery of the tracker will last for up to 30 hours so even if that is not possible, I might still give it a try.

So what do you guys think, is this anything worth disassembling the wheel for, or will I just waste a lot of time without success?

IMG_7511.JPG

3 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

Yep should be pretty simple. There won't be spare connections but splicing into the battery power cables should be pretty straight forward. You'll need to have some protection so you don't run the batteries down past 50v though.

The battery BMS should cut the power once it gets too low, the specific voltage depends on the BMS. So splicing the cable (or get an "Y-connector") is enough.

EDIT: And of course since it's spliced before the mainboard, the tracker will always be on, even if the wheel is otherwise off, unless disconnected entirely from the battery, or the battery runs too low.

Thank you JumpMaster and esaj for your replies!

31 minutes ago, esaj said:

The battery BMS should cut the power once it gets too low, the specific voltage depends on the BMS. So splicing the cable (or get an "Y-connector") is enough.

EDIT: And of course since it's spliced before the mainboard, the tracker will always be on, even if the wheel is otherwise off, unless disconnected entirely from the battery, or the battery runs too low.

That sounds very promising! If I should opt for getting a "Y-connector", do you know what kind of connector type that is present is on the BMS? and also one more thing, do you know whether there will be space somewhere inside the wheel shell to place a tracker of the size seen in the picture? I don't have the exact dimensions at hand, but it is small, somewhere around 5 x 2 x 1 (cm).

Thanks again.   

1 hour ago, flass said:

That sounds very promising! If I should opt for getting a "Y-connector", do you know what kind of connector type that is present is on the BMS?

Depends on the BMS, but there's probably either a Deans (also called "T-connector" due to it's shape, usually red) or XT60-connector (typically yellow) between the battery pack and the mainboard. You just then get a "Y-connector" -cable for the connector type, looks like this:

xt60-parallel-connector-adapter-cable-16

That's XT-60, this is for Deans:

DE-HARNESS-Y_1.jpg

Easy to find and probably fairly cheap from places like Aliexpress, Amazon, Ebay. Check that you get the correct endings (male/female), you want one end to go to the battery and the other end split to the mainboard and the tracker. Also you need to add a similar connector on the tracker so you can connect it to the Y-connector. And make sure the tracker can indeed take up to 67.2V (or during braking, maybe even a little bit higher), otherwise you might need a regulator in between ;)

and also one more thing, do you know whether there will be space somewhere inside the wheel shell to place a tracker of the size seen in the picture? I don't have the exact dimensions at hand, but it is small, somewhere around 5 x 2 x 1 (cm).

Not sure, but you could look for suitable space from these teardown-pictures:  

Thanks again.   

You're welcome

Archived