King Song loose part

CalamityJen

Fell off my brand new KS14C about 20 times learning to ride it, and noticed once I was able to ride it for more than a few feet that the right pedal is loose and presses against the wheel when there's any weight on it.  The metal block on the inside of the plastic casing has ground the paint off the wheel, and the grinding sound and sensation is so unpleasant that I can't ride it now.  Will Eddy, the guy I bought the cycle from, can't find a technician who thinks they can take it apart so doesn't want me to send it back to him.  Anybody know of someone with some mechanical knowledge and skills who is in or near Maryland, or have any suggestions for me on how to take the damn thing apart myself?  I'm pretty sure this is a product flaw that should be easy to fix if I can get inside the thing.

Well I hope you did not break the hollow tube with wiring coming out of it! UE are not built for jumps or stunt acts, hopefully it is just loose clamp, and tighten screws in all is needed...., you bust it might as well try to fix it....

Thanks!  No wiring coming out.  And no tricks--just a new rider learning on plain old level ground.  The plastic shell is intact and I can't get to the clamp, and Will can't tell me how to.  Do I have to pull off the glued padding on the sides to get inside the shell?  

Where are you in Maryland? I'm in Columbia. Unfortunately I don't have a KS14 but I have tools and lots of glue. Generally when I work on my wheel it ends up better than when I started, but no guarantees! 

Soooo if I crash my new Ninebot 20 times, and it starts making some scraping sounds due to something bent or damaged I can get the seller to do a warranty repair?  :blink:  Sweeet....  :D  I guess it depends on how bad these crashes are.  Typically the pedals shouldn't come loose that easily so okay I can see it could be a warranty issue.

It sounds like the one pedal may have come loose from the axle and needs to be tightened up possibly?  I don't know about the KS, but the Ninebot has this large lugnut that secures the pedals on.

Edit: found some info here.  @Cloud how are the pedals mounted onto the axle?

Thanks everyone!  I think dmethvin's video is going to be the most helpful.  As far as warranty issues and seller vs buyer responsibility, I think it depends on what you think a machine like this should be able to take as normal wear and tear.  I've never ridden one of these things before this, but 20 falls at low speed doesn't seem like excessive stress that should cause the metal bracket inside the plastic casing to come apart, so I suspect that it wasn't put together quite right before they put it in the casing.  i think the King Song warranty only covers the gyro, computer, and battery, so I don't expect them to replace anything, but this seems like a basic quality control problem that would be easy to fix if they had any local resources.  But this forum has been really helpful, so thanks to all of you again!  

Can't tell for sure, but it appears that the axle is clamped on by a small aluminum block above the pedal support which is secured on by a couple of large hex bolts.  I bet those bolts may have come loose somehow allowing the pedal support to lean inwards scraping the motor shell.  Hopefully if they can be tightened maybe with some loctite on the threads all will be well.

Thinking more about it I would tend to agree that the pedal support should not come loose that easily.  I was thinking about more serious crashes where something gets more stress than it can handle and then expecting warranty coverage in that situation.

All KS wheels have the same pedal mount method as suggested by Hunka.

The end of each motor shaft has 2 flats machined (not threaded as common EUC ) The pedal mount has Allen Bolts  to fasten the two halves securely around the motor shaft. They could not be damaged during the learning phase because that section of the design is stronger than where the case mounts to the wheel. The case would break first, where  it fastens to the wheel if from accident damage

SUCCESS! @CalamityJen came over and we fixed her wheel. As @HunkaHunkaBurningLove suspected the hex bolts clamping the pedal support to the axle had come loose. We inspected them for damaged threads (no issues), put some Loctite on the threads, and tightened them back up. Good as new. Then the fun part, we switched wheels and rode around my neighborhood for 10 minutes. I really like the KS14C. It's fast and has a little softer ride than the Firewheel in sport mode, but not too loose. Also nice to have a wheel that's light enough to carry, the pedals have a convenient little lip that makes it easy to grab them there to tuck it under your arm.

Heeey nice job.  What a nice guy!  Glad to hear you were able to help her out.  Sorry I jumped down your throat as I had thought it was damage related.  :wacko:  Good to see people helping each other out on the board.

I think it must be a common Chinese design as the wheels on hoverboards have similar clamps and bolts to secure them to the chassis.  Ninebot has that bigass hub nut.

23 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

.  @Cloud how are the pedals mounted onto the axle?

21 hours ago, Mistagear said:

All KS wheels have the same pedal mount method as suggested by Hunka.

The end of each motor shaft has 2 flats machined (not threaded as common EUC ) The pedal mount has Allen Bolts  to fasten the two halves securely around the motor shaft. They could not be damaged during the learning phase because that section of the design is stronger than where the case mounts to the wheel. The case would break first, where  it fastens to the wheel if from accident damage

Sorry, read this too late. Yes Mistagear described it very accurately

Archived