Ninebot One A1 vs IPS Zero for my first electric unicycle?

linksku

I want to get my first electric unicycle for commuting to school. My most important criterias are style and lightness. Both the Ninebot One A1 and IPS Zero are stylish and relatively light. Is there any reason why one is better than the other? Are there other brand/models I should look at?

I plan on getting one using Tmall and Yoybuy (I'm from Canada), is there a better way?

I have an S2 (the A1 is the Chinese version with just 1 battery pack I think) on preorder from SpeedyFeetUK (legit, one of the biggest worldwide Ninebot vendors). 

When it comes, I can do a side-by-side comparison with my IPS Zero 340wH. AFAIK, currently, only riders who have ridden the A1/S2 is China and the Ninebot France guys, who got a pre-production model.

Note: The only concern with ordering straight from a Chinese vendor is that the Chinese-version Ninebot One A1's might require Chinese phone activation (ala the Xiaomi Mini) since the A1 is technically not supposed to be sold outside of China, I believe for global pricing control. Not sure on this though.

You can also pre-order the S2 from HoodRiderz.com (legit, NYC-based), due July.

@Jason McNeil & eWheels.com (legit, Miami-based) will be receiving a special, more efficient battery pack version of the IPS Zero, apparently enroute now.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

I have an S2 (the A1 is the Chinese version with just 1 battery pack I think) on preorder from SpeedyFeetUK (legit, one of the biggest worldwide Ninebot vendors). 

When it comes, I can do a side-by-side comparison with my IPS Zero 340wH. AFAIK, currently, only riders who have ridden the A1/S2 is China and the Ninebot France guys, who got a pre-production model.

Note: The only concern with ordering straight from a Chinese vendor is that the Chinese-version Ninebot One A1's might require Chinese phone activation (ala the Xiaomi Mini) since the A1 is technically not supposed to be sold outside of China, I believe for global pricing control. Not sure on this though.

You can also pre-order the S2 from HoodRiderz.com (legit, NYC-based), due July.

@Jason McNeil & eWheels.com (legit, Miami-based) will be receiving a special, more efficient battery pack version of the IPS Zero, apparently enroute now.

I do not need to activate the Ninebot A1 via phone number.  But I have to register to Xiaomi before I can use its app.  I also wonder if Xiaomi is tracking my route when the app is turn on.  The app asked me to practice for several minutes before it can deactivate the 7kph speed limit.  There is no way to turn off the noisy warning beep from the app, so the only way I can do it is to cover the beeper hole with glue.  The IPS Zero have a higher spec of 800W average.  But both of them seem to have similar design, so I wonder why there is the big difference in power spec.  For me, I would rather be safe than fast, so a more conservative spec of 500W is more appealing than whatever high power these Chinese maufacturer can boast on their spec.  The battery capacity seems not too bad as I can get about 30km with the 310Wh dual battery with my weight of 80kg on flat surface.  The IPS Zero is also lighter in their spec which is more appealing to me.  One of the drawbacks of the Ninebot A1 is it is not possible to DIY a trolley handle for it, and I have to wait for whatever the will come out.  Xiaomi accessory are over price.  The plastic stand is easily broken and I have to get a new one.  Some one complained than the sander paper surface of the foot pedals can easily become smooth which then is more slippery.  I do not have this problem as yet.

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Why are these so much more expensive than the manufacturer's price? The Ninebot One A1's price is 1700 RMB on Tmall (via Ninebot's official distributor), which is roughly $300 USD. Plus $200 shipping, it's pretty much the same as prices on Aliexpress (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Original-Ninebot-One-A1-One-Wheel-Skateboard-Smart-Wheel-Unicycle-Self-Balancing-Monowheel-Electric-Motor/32665409290.html). Is there anything wrong with ordering from Aliexpress? It's more convenient than using Yoybuy to buy it from Tmall for me.

Btw, I'm Chinese and I used Tmall and Yoybuy a lot, they're both legit and reliable. I know Aliexpress is legit, but I don't know how reliable they are.

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Why are these so much more expensive than the manufacturer's price? The Ninebot One A1's price is 1700 RMB on Tmall (via Ninebot's official distributor), which is roughly $300 USD. Plus $200 shipping, it's pretty much the same as prices on Aliexpress (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Original-Ninebot-One-A1-One-Wheel-Skateboard-Smart-Wheel-Unicycle-Self-Balancing-Monowheel-Electric-Motor/32665409290.html). Is there anything wrong with ordering from Aliexpress? It's more convenient than using Yoybuy to buy it from Tmall for me.

Btw, I'm Chinese and I used Tmall and Yoybuy a lot, they're both legit and reliable. I know Aliexpress is legit, but I don't know how reliable they are.

2 hours ago, hyiu00 said:

I do not need to activate the Ninebot A1 via phone number.  But I have to register to Xiaomi before I can use its app.  I also wonder if Xiaomi is tracking my route when the app is turn on.  The app asked me to practice for several minutes before it can deactivate the 7kph speed limit.  There is no way to turn off the noisy warning beep from the app, so the only way I can do it is to cover the beeper hole with glue.  The IPS Zero have a higher spec of 800W average.  But both of them seem to have similar design, so I wonder why there is the big difference in power spec.  For me, I would rather be safe than fast, so a more conservative spec of 500W is more appealing than whatever high power these Chinese maufacturer can boast on their spec.  The battery capacity seems not too bad as I can get about 30km with the 310Wh dual battery with my weight of 80kg on flat surface.  The IPS Zero is also lighter in their spec which is more appealing to me.  One of the drawbacks of the Ninebot A1 is it is not possible to DIY a trolley handle for it, and I have to wait for whatever the will come out.  Xiaomi accessory are over price.  The plastic stand is easily broken and I have to get a new one.  Some one complained than the sander paper surface of the foot pedals can easily become smooth which then is more slippery.  I do not have this problem as yet.

@hyiu00 There's no way the Zero is 800W nominal in my experience. I own one, and it is less powerful than a Ninebot One E+ 500W going uphills for me, so I really doubt the specs being advertised.

21 minutes ago, linksku said:

@linksku I can't understand the Tmall page enough to adjust the price for US ship, but with your Aliexpress, the cheapest Ninebot One A1 is $448.50 + $476.60 shipped to the US (and that is for the Ninebot & only 1 battery). Are you sure your not looking at just the pricing for inside China / ship within China?

19 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@linksku I can't understand the Tmall page enough to adjust the price for US ship, but with your Aliexpress, the cheapest Ninebot One A1 is $448.50 + $476.60 shipped to the US (and that is for the Ninebot & only 1 battery). Are you sure your not looking at just the pricing for inside China / ship within China?

That's interesting, shipping to Canada is cheaper than US. I'm in Canada.

It's $429 + $100 shipping. Apparently the shipping is a promotional price that ends in 3 hours. If the Ninebot A1 is similar to the IPS Zero, then I'll just get the A1.

The IPS Zero is $600 + free shipping: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeshipping-IPS-zero-800W-motor-the-hightest-speed-30km-h-life30km-LED-APP-Bluebooth-Electric-unicycle/32541556347.html

17 minutes ago, linksku said:

That's interesting, shipping to Canada is cheaper than US. I'm in Canada.

It's $429 + $100 shipping. Apparently the shipping is a promotional price that ends in 3 hours. If the Ninebot A1 is similar to the IPS Zero, then I'll just get it.

Lucky! I think this is due to US stigma against the 'hoverboard' debacle and how they have to ship unit & battery separately.

I'd highly recommend if I were you, to spring for the A1 Plus with the 2 batteries, since it's just $90 more. Buying the battery separately will probably cost way more, and riding with increased cell count is much safer / increases the speed from 18kph (1 battery) to 20kph (2 battery).

Interestingly enough, on this AliExpress page, the 2 battery A1 Plus is advertised to go top speed 20kph, but on the English Ninebot One S2 page, the 2 battery S2 is advertised to go top speed 24kph. That seems to be the main difference then, the international version goes faster. (similar to the Ninebot Mini Pro being faster than the Xiaomi Mini)

13 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Is the A1 meant for Asia while the S2 model the rest of the world?  They wouldn't pull a SMS activation trick on these like they did on the Ninebot Mini would they?

I really hope not, but yes, that was what I was referencing.

40 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I'd highly recommend if I were you, to spring for the A1 Plus with the 2 batteries, since it's just $90 more. Buying the battery separately will probably cost way more, and riding with increased cell count is much safer / increases the speed from 18kph (1 battery) to 20kph (2 battery).

I was wondering what the "plus" meant, that makes sense now. Why is 2 batteries safer than 1 battery? My main concern for 2 batteries is the additional weight.

50 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Is the A1 meant for Asia while the S2 model the rest of the world?  They wouldn't pull a SMS activation trick on these like they did on the Ninebot Mini would they?

If it's just SMS activation, then it's fine for me because I can get relatives to activate it for me (although that'll be a hassle).

30 minutes ago, linksku said:

I was wondering what the "plus" meant, that makes sense now. Why is 2 batteries safer than 1 battery? My main concern for 2 batteries is the additional weight.

If it's just SMS activation, then it's fine for me because I can get relatives to activate it for me (although that'll be a hassle).

Safer as in, when you stress the wheel (ie. going top speed, climbing hills, or driving on lower battery percentages), there is a lesser chance that the current will reach cutoff threshold, since more cells are sharing the workload. 

Think 1 dog pulling a sled at 10mph, vs 5 dogs pulling the same sled at 10mph; that 1 dog will have to exert much more energy, and is liable to give out sooner than one of the 5 dogs.

This is why I believe the A1/S2 specs are lower speed (18kph) & mileage (15km) when riding with 1 battery.

Also, the difference in weight, according to spec, is not that big between 1 vs 2 battery: 10.5kg (A1) vs 11.4kg (A1 Plus)

If you're inclined to ride with 1 battery, at the very least, you can think of it as having a spare.

1 hour ago, linksku said:

That's the 130wH version (2nd option 260wH, 3rd 340wH). It's been covered here that the 130wH & 260wH IPS Zeros do not have the most optimal batteries, and some have had unexpected cutoffs, mostly with the 130wH, possibly due to underpowering. The 340wH ($880 on AliExpress) does have the better performing Sony NC1 batteries.

12 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Safer as in, when you stress the wheel (ie. going top speed, climbing hills, or driving on lower battery percentages), there is a lesser chance that the current will reach cutoff threshold, since more cells are sharing the workload. 

Think 1 dog pulling a sled at 10mph, vs 5 dogs pulling the same sled at 10mph; that 1 dog will have to exert much more energy, and is liable to give out sooner than one of the 5 dogs.

This is why I believe the A1/S2 specs are lower speed (18kph) & mileage (15km) when riding with 1 battery.

Also, the difference in weight, according to spec, is not that big between 1 vs 2 battery: 10.5kg (A1) vs 11.4kg (A1 Plus)

If you're inclined to ride with 1 battery, at the very least, you can think of it as having a spare.

Thanks for clarifying, I got the A1 plus from Aliexpress!

11 hours ago, houseofjob said:

That's the 130wH version (2nd option 260wH, 3rd 340wH). It's been covered here that the 130wH & 260wH IPS Zeros do not have the most optimal batteries, and some have had unexpected cutoffs, mostly with the 130wH, possibly due to underpowering. The 340wH ($880 on AliExpress) does have the better performing Sony NC1 batteries.

I got lucky and got the Ninebot instead. It was pretty much a coin toss because the Ninebot's promotional offer was expiring.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a Ninebot A1 in the US a week ago but i already dropped it and scratched it im trying to figure out how to remove the scratches or replace/repair the shell. Located in the USA. (I did try using car compound wax and it helped a bit but its still visible and annoying lol)

Thanks,

-Stu

20160630_101334.jpg

20160630_101351.jpg

Archived