First impressions Gotway ACM16 new owner

adhermes

So yesterday I finally received by two battery packs for my empty ACM16 Gotway shell that I've been staring at for weeks. Well, I've had a chance to ride this bad boy for a bit and I have some impressions. 

• App
    • The app for iOS that's available in the app store just sucks. There is no way to disable the tilt back, so you have a 45 km/h high speed unicycle that tilts back at 24 km/h. Pretty useless if you ask me. Also, there is no way to control the lights from the iOS app. The only thing you CAN do is to change the ride mode and turn off the warning beeps. Pretty bad. 
    • However, the experimental android app is much more useful. I was able to set a tiltback setting to 45 km/h, turn the lights off/on/flashing, and adjust ride modes and beeps. The app isn't perfect, but all I really needed it to do was to set a higher tilt back. 
  • Ride
    • The ride is interesting in "hard" mode, or madden mode I think it might be called. The ride isn't as stiff as an MSUPER2, but much more stiff than the KS14C. Acceleration is quite nice, and I do not have the "stuttering" when braking like some people have claimed. My salesguy said that my unit was updated before it left China, so that's good. 
    • The unit is strong. I weigh 158lbs but can easily go up the ramps at my skate park. It feels even more powerful than the MSUPER2 which I didn't think was really possible. I'm happy with the power for sure. 
  • Comfort
    • I've said this before, but I'll say it again- nothing that I have ridden is as comfortable as the MSUPER2. This wheel is no exception. Having a housing that goes up to your knee (and after adding padding to it) is very hard to beat for longer treks. The padding on the ACM16 is high quality and there is nothing wrong with it; it's just not as comfortable as the MSUPER2. 
    • The pedals are small. They have a nice rubber ribbing, but they are definitely too small. So far the only pedals that I really like are the oversized ones on the MSUPER2. I wish we could get bigger pedals for the other models out there. Pedal size seems to be the number 1 factor in my foot comfort over long rides (15+ miles). 
    • The tire that is shipped with the unit has a lot of grip, like a mountain bike tire, so the wheel isn't super smooth on the road like the LHOTZ is. The tire performs very well on the grass however. 
  • Price
    • I paid $1550 delivered from China from the Green and Fashion traveling shop. I found the price to be reasonable, but let me say that the gentlemen I worked with was VERY helpful and responsive. I have zero reservations in recommending anyone to buy from that shop. He did have to ship the battery and wheel separately due to really annoying US import customs, but the entire process took just under a month which is very reasonable in my opinion. In fact, the wheel itself got to me, from China, in an astonishing 72 hours. 
  • Overall
    • So what do I think overall? Am I as impressed with this unit as I was with the MSUPER2? No. But that doesn't mean that this isn't a good unit. The added features such as the head lamp and rotating colorful LEDs on the back are nice, but ultimately small cosmetic changes that don't really matter. Where the MSUPER2 feels like a tank, this unit feels much more like an expensive toy. I really like the actual look of the unit as it's clean and simple, unlike a ninebot. The matte finish doesn't really show dirt or anything, and I haven't fallen off my EUC in a very long time, so I expect for this one to remain in great shape for a while. The 850wh battery is definitely nice, and all 3 of my wheels have an 850wh. I don't think I would/could go with a lesser battery; the freedom to go for miles is liberating. 
    • How about this unit vs the KingSong 16" you might be asking? Well, they were roughly the same price, but the Gotway has a much more powerful motor and a much higher top speed. In reality you will be able to go 35~ km/h, not 45 like the app suggests, but that's still the fastest EUC on the market. I also liked not having an active cooling fan-I worry that it will fail after a short time. Gotway upgraded the heatsink on the ACM16 and I will be able to let everyone know soon how it handles the heat in Arizona summers. I'm hopeful though. My KS14C overheats way too easily. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you for giving your impressions!

I also had to wait an eternity for the battery packs to arrive for my MCM4, yet they finally arrived just yesterday. 

I'm definitely more inclined to go with an 18 inch wheel with large pedals and a large tire over a 16 inch wheel like the ACM or the KS 16.

I'm hoping that the new MSuper and KS 18 will be worth it. 

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, D7flat9 said:

If you were buying your first EUC, and the options were the ACM or a ninebot one E+, what do think would be best? 

Id go for acm for speed and power, but this doesnt mean that this is the right choice for everyone. Ninebot one e+ has proven to be a quality wheel over a long timeframe and is preferred by many

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

Id go for acm for speed and power, but this doesnt mean that this is the right choice for everyone. 

This is exactly my thought. I like the ACM for what it will be when I'm a proficient rider. I've read that those with the E+ end up wanting more power and speed from the ninebot rather quickly so I think the ACM is better for the end game and when I'm riding at a high skill level. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I rode my friends ACM for the first time and my goodness. I kinda regret not getting the ACM and going with the V8. I'll give the V8 a shot but my goodness being able to keep up with fixi peddle bikers was amazing!!

I started with a Ninebot One then S2 now P. I want a Gotway ACM.. But will give the V8 a fair shot!!

53 minutes ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

I rode my friends ACM for the first time and my goodness. I kinda regret not getting the ACM and going with the V8. I'll give the V8 a shot but my goodness being able to keep up with fixi peddle bikers was amazing!!

I started with a Ninebot One then S2 now P. I want a Gotway ACM.. But will give the V8 a fair shot!!

I look forward to hearing about your personal experience with the V8

I love the fact that it has 800 W motor that is 84 V and it is the newest technology

But I don't like the small battery that cannot be increased because of the size of the unit restriction

At 85 kg stated range is irrelevant to my physique, sadly :rolleyes:

Just now, Greg Spalding said:

I look forward to hearing about your personal experience with the V8

I love the fact that it has 800 W motor that is 84 V and it is the newest technology

But I don't like the small battery that cannot be increased because of the size of the unit restriction

At 85 kg stated range is irrelevant to my physique, sadly :rolleyes:

Thank you sir! I will make sure to put my personal experience up once I get it. I really don't understand these manufacturers when it come to the motor power and these small batteries.... 

Their advertising 50KM - about 31 Miles. If I can get that kind of distance I'll be happy especially coming from a Ninebot.

8 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

I very much look forward to your experiences

At 85 kg all I desire

30 kph for someone of my size

40 km range for someone of my size

i live in florida

mostly flat, but i DO go over some bridges to the water on my usual rides

I can tell you my friend Ron not sure if he's on the forums buy he weighs about 175lbs (I'll confirm") - He just finish doing the Wheel of america on his ACM...he's easily doing over 20mph no problems at all with no tiltback.. That wheel is a beast!!

Archived