Total failure, vibrating and flashing lights

Steven Dilema Louis

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this problem, after months of riding my ninebot one e + with no problems what so ever, to last night sitting at home, I was messing around with the stand, something got caught in the wheels, nothing major at all, but all of a sudden my wheel stopped working?????? The only response I seem to get it the unit being able to switch on but I'm greeted with a constant beeping and flashing of the lights, first flashing in on the battery level lights, and seconds later the lights change from green to red and again constant flashing, I thought maybe a hard reset or some kind of combination could help with this problem, I thought if I remove the battery maybe this could help, but even when the unit  is powered off, and pushed it still experiences a strange shuddering as I'm pushing it along, and this is with no batteries or no form of power running in the unit. Please any help would be appreciated 

41 minutes ago, Steven Dilema Louis said:

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this problem, after months of riding my ninebot one e + with no problems what so ever, to last night sitting at home, I was messing around with the stand, something got caught in the wheels, nothing major at all, but all of a sudden my wheel stopped working?????? The only response I seem to get it the unit being able to switch on but I'm greeted with a constant beeping and flashing of the lights, first flashing in on the battery level lights, and seconds later the lights change from green to red and again constant flashing, I thought maybe a hard reset or some kind of combination could help with this problem, I thought if I remove the battery maybe this could help, but even when the unit  is powered off, and pushed it still experiences a strange shuddering as I'm pushing it along, and this is with no batteries or no form of power running in the unit. Please any help would be appreciated 

If the tire/motor resists turning even without power, it's pretty certain that the mainboard motor drive has burned one or more mosfets. You could try replacing them (if you know how), otherwise you might need an entirely new mainboard.

? ???thank you for your response and overwhelmingly bad news , I think I could most probably fix that after a youtube seminar,  but would it be possible to send me a little more info on these Mosfets and any pics you come across would also be appreciated.  Why do these burn? Especially after such an insignificant issue? Well thanks again and I wait with bated breath on your response 

On 24.5.2016 at 1:01 PM, Steven Dilema Louis said:

? ???thank you for your response and overwhelmingly bad news , I think I could most probably fix that after a youtube seminar,  but would it be possible to send me a little more info on these Mosfets and any pics you come across would also be appreciated.

The mosfets are (usually) TO-220 packaged components that are attached onto a heatsink:

GE3TO220-40.jpg

HTB1NSG8KFXXXXaYXpXXq6xXFXXXa.jpg

In the above picture, the mosfets are partially behind the board, screwed onto the heatsink plate through a heat transfer/electric insulator pad.

photo684135441136461780.jpg

Another type of (generic?) mainboard, the mosfets are easily distinguishable at the top of the image.

If you choose to try to replace them (I assume you know how to unsolder/solder components), you should probably check what the old mosfets are and replace them with similar ones (there's usually a part code printed in the case). You could maybe get away with using some different mosfets, but the Vds should be something like 75+V (to be on the safe side), and the gate charge shouldn't be at least higher to make sure it charges/discharges completely. Also the rise / fall times may play a role, so at least don't go for higher time (although the wheels usually use low frequencies, <20kHz or so). Probably the cheaper generics use some pretty common cheap power mosfets, which are likely available easily from somewhere like ebay or Aliexpress (or even local electronics store).

One more very important thing is that the mosfets MUST be electrically insulated from the heatsink. The reason is that the large metallic part, through which the screw goes, is connected to one of the mosfet legs (usually drain, at least for N-channel), and short circuiting them together is Not A Good Thing(tm). Remember that the screw also conducts electricity, so you need a heat-transfer/insulator pad between the mosfet & the heatsink, and something to go around the screw & screw head, so the metallic parts don't touch each other, something like this:

mW-VUnjGUh5mK1NkDCNYJnQ.jpg

Probably you can grab them from the old mosfets, thermal pad costs something like 1€ / 10x10cm piece from Aliexpress. You can cut it with scissors or knife. Or maybe you can use the old pads there too, unless they're something like the self-adhesive -type.

Why do these burn? Especially after such an insignificant issue? Well thanks again and I wait with bated breath on your response 

My best guess is that when the motor got stuck, the mainboard still tried to drive the motor as hard as it can ("full throttle", so to say), causing the mosfets to overheat & burn (they might look just fine on the outside, but still be malfunctioning/destroyed from the inside). Non-turning motor is more or less a short-circuit... probably many of the brand wheels have "smart enough" firmware to back-off or at least limit the maximum current in such a situation, although I know of at least one Ninebot that burned the mosfets when it got caught leaning against a wall (ie. trying to drive itself inside the wall).

Thank you ever so much for all that info, and after a few youtube vids I am more armed with what to do, after some slight investigations I have located these Mosfets and a nose test revealed a familiar electrical burn smell in and around the area but nothing visible so locating the damaged Mosfet may be an ordeal, so thank you very much Dr Esaj on your prognosis but as I still have warranty I will inquire about having them fix this for me as it would most certainly invalidate my warranty if I attempt this mission, but it's good to know for future difficulties

But I'm in two minds, in either getting them to fix the problem or just purchasing a new motherboard , both of which means I will be without my wheel for some time ?, but thanks for your help ?

1 minute ago, Steven Dilema Louis said:

Thank you ever so much for all that info, and after a few youtube vids I am more armed with what to do, after some slight investigations I have located these Mosfets and a nose test revealed a familiar electrical burn smell in and around the area but nothing visible so locating the damaged Mosfet may be an ordeal, so thank you very much Dr Esaj on your prognosis but as I still have warranty I will inquire about having them fix this for me as it would most certainly invalidate my warranty if I attempt this mission, but it's good to know for future difficulties

Yeah, of course if you're still under warranty, better go that route... They'll likely replace the entire mainboard on warranty. Now that I read your first post again, I noticed you mentioned it's a Ninebot One E+ (I didn't check the subforum, and thought this was a generic :P). 

At least older Ninebots use 75NF75 N-channel mosfets. I've ordered a bunch of them of Aliexpress, you can get something like 30 pieces for <10€ or so... The newer boards might have used some other mosfet, but it's probably also some common type and easily available. But anyway, if you can get a new board on warranty, better go that route.

Then that's what I'll try, thank you and I'll keep you posted on the results ?

I do also have a generic,  a teamgee, it's pretty crap but does the job, I've had issues with that also........ the battery, which I have sent for a new one with aliexpress, but it's taking forever to arrive,  at least a month so far ?, but my priority is my baby ? Ninebot one e +  ?

Have you checked the app to see if it's just locked?  It will vibrate when locked if you move it to prevent theft.

EDIT: Oops, just re-read your first post.  Even with battery removed it shudders.  Sorry, likely mosfets.

Hey just to keep you all posted in case this happens to you, I got I  touch with ninebot service centre which forwarded my an excel sheet for me to fill out, I of course promptly sent that off with video evidence and now have waited 4 days with no reply, I have sent another email asking what's the next step or how far my query is coming along, but it's been silent, watch this space..........

29 minutes ago, Steven Dilema Louis said:

Hey just to keep you all posted in case this happens to you, I got I  touch with ninebot service centre which forwarded my an excel sheet for me to fill out, I of course promptly sent that off with video evidence and now have waited 4 days with no reply, I have sent another email asking what's the next step or how far my query is coming along, but it's been silent, watch this space..........

It will take time but be rest assured that they will handle the matter and will send you a replacement board soon.

• 1 month later...

Well it has now been well over with months since I have first reported the problem with my motherboard to ninebot in China,  I had been met with wall after wall and still no closer to having my motherboard replaced, they had asked me for all the relevant information in serial number purchase date, pics and video.  As I live in England there is the time difference that doesn't help and the obvious lingo difficulties, at one point to I was even passed on to speedy feet which was not helpful in the least, in fact by comparison my dealings with the Chinese branch made more sense to me than anyone else at speedy feet. Speedyfeet had then started to make the right noises after all I had confirmation from ninebot.cn that my details will be transfered to speedy feet. But alas informed me they have not heard a thing ? about my case so I forwarded him all the emails, and after a lengthy explanation to the guy at speedy feet via numerous emails, he had regrettably informed me that his company have not been able to get any products especially it seems motherboards. I was at my wits end and so attempted to just go ahead and purchase a motherboard instead from the site, and guess what? They are in stock and for an extra £10 they will deliver it the next day, and low and behold after separating with £160 my new non warranty motherboard was delivered, well now it seems the mother board was not enough to get me back on the road, but I need a password to enter in order to activate the motherboard, so if anyone else will need to get a mb then you'll also need that password too, well as for my warranty motherboard I am still holding my breath that it Co es to my door

Watch this space......

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 11:01 AM, SlowMo said:

It will take time but be rest assured that they will handle the matter and will send you a replacement board soon.

Thanks for your optimism but it's been quite a while and all I need for now is just a straight answer, from anyone lol

Hi guys. I encountered a problem on my ninebot one E and was wondering if anyone here can help. my wheel was unknowingly on before the switch to the charger was turned on. this caused a circuit trip and now the charger doesn't work and the wheel flashes red lights when the charger is turned on. 

the wheel on its own works fine at the moment. 

anyone knows what should I do to get the charger to work? or is the charger fried? ?

VID-20160730-WA0005.mp4

Archived