2-wheeled devices in testing for Finnish police force

esaj

2 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Does anyone know if you can overlean a Segway?  Do they have any tiltback sort of programming in place to slow a user down?

Ah I found some answers here:

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=2972

Probably not that easily (at least once you learn how to ride one), but this compilation shows some falls that could (maybe) be thought of as overleans:

In most cases, the ones where you could say it's sort of overleaning, it's actually coming to stop, then going backwards and then losing power after overlean when trying to go forwards again (like for example around 3:49 or so). I think it was Shane Chen (of Inventist/Solowheel) who said that they had calculated that to totally prevent overleaning (don't know for what weight rider and whether he was talking of unicycles or Segways) you'd need something like over 10kW motor.

Thanks, I've seen some of those video clips before, and it looks like Segways aren't entirely fool proof.  It appears that the control stick can be fooled, and it looks like they rely more on how the rider leans or pulls back on it in combinations with gyro feedback.  Some Segways in that clip were moving by themselves in a forward direction even though the rider had fallen off.  Very strange.  It also looks like the balance system can be thrown off by repeated forwards and backwards oscillations or maybe incorrect input into the control arm while the rider's weight is leaning in the opposite direction?

I think it will be a long wait before we see law enforcement using EUCs.

19 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Does anyone know if you can overlean a Segway?  Do they have any tiltback sort of programming in place to slow a user down?

Ah I found some answers here:

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=2972

The EUC and Segway differences remind me of dirtbikes vs quadbikes, everyone assumes the quadbike will be safer but 4 wheels ends up offering lower stability as centre of gravity moves when traversing horizontal inclines and if one side encounters bumps or friction it can roll or yaw violently then roll due to a short wheelbase and high centre of gravity.

Archived