Falcon Mileage..

Puzz

Is it just me but I don't think I'm getting much mileage out of my Falcon.. Batteries fully charged and I'll start riding down the road from my driveway and one bar on the display vanishes.. If I keep my speed at 20mph, then they continue to drop quite rapidly. If I take my Inmotion V12 out for a run, I can be out three or more hours riding it all over town and come back home with maybe 50% or slightly less of battery remaining. I've never drained the V12 but by the time I get home with the Falcon, I'm usually watching my speed to keep from this thing failing on me.. Is there something wrong with my Falcon? 

Edited by Puzz
Editing wording.

The V12 has almost twice the battery capacity as the Falcon.  This could help explain part of the range difference.

• Upvote 2

The Falcon has exactly half the battery of the V12. A smaller battery means the voltage drops more when stressed, so the wheel will maybe beep more early/more easily when at low charge. So based on this, a fun+usable range of maybe 45% (instead of 50% for just the half battery size) of the V12's range is a reasonable expectation for the Falcon (assuming your speed is roughly the same). Do you get that?

You may also overestimate your V12's range if you never rode it down until it beeped at you. Don't trust any battery percentages or "miles left" claims by an app too much. You may come home with "50%" left on the V12, but in reality you may be (quite a bit) over 50% of the range you would have gotten.

In addition, you can check if your Falcon charges to the full voltage (should be 100V). Don't believe any percentages, these are just computed from the voltage, only voltage counts. What is your voltage after the charging has stopped? I think there have been some issues with Begode wheels lately where the charging stops a bit too early, this can eat quite a lot of usable range. Not sure if the Falcon is affected, but here's a video by Marty about the general issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIPYYW9Cwis . The bar display dropping right after you start could be a hint towards that, so I would definitely check if your "full" (after charging is over) voltage really is 100V.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
voltage corrected
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

In addition, you can check if your Falcon charges to the full voltage (should be 84V). 

Falcon is 100V

Everything else you said is spot on. 2x smaller battery = 2x less range. :)

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Funky said:

Falcon is 100V no?

Dang you're right! 900Wh makes no sense for a 84V wheel (applies both to V12 and Falcon). Thanks! I guess I thought "well it's not super high voltage" and ended up at 84V instead of thinking about it:whistling:

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Skampster said:

I get around d 35km  and I’m limping home. 

If not too personal, what weight are you?

Some of the first reviews I saw said a fair bit more than this but one was a lightweight.

It has been cold where you are (suspension issues posts) I wonder if the range will increase when it gets warmer.

Edited by DavidB

4 hours ago, DavidB said:

Some of the first reviews I saw said a fair bit more than this but one was a lightweight.

It has been cold where you are (suspension issues posts) I wonder if the range will increase when it gets warmer.

I'm about 175lbs. I'm in Florida. Trust me. It isn't cold.... 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

My buddy got his the other day and he said he’d get about 30km on it with fast paced riding. That said he charged it from 36% to full in an hour and a half with the stock 5amp charger. 

18 miles certainly is a far cry from the supposed 40-45 mile range.. Oh well.. Guess I should've waited for more reviews to come out instead of just buying it blind...

Thanks guys for all of your answers.. I liked the V12 better for not having to keep looking at the battery depletion bar.. I just love how the Falcon handles, suspension feels.. etc. No wobble issues. And this is with the stock pads. 

4 hours ago, DavidB said:

79kg

35 minutes ago, Puzz said:

18 miles certainly is a far cry from the supposed 40-45 mile range.. Oh well.. Guess I should've waited for more reviews to come out instead of just buying it blind...

every wheel will never hit the manufacturer stated range if you're riding it faster than you can run.

I'm 140lbs, I ride mine 20-23mi. 100% down to 30%, living in the 23-27mph pace. I head home at 2-bars on the screen because I have a +450ft elevation climb to get home.

49 minutes ago, Puzz said:

It’s 900wh, it’s only ever going to go so far, especially at a fast pace. Knowing my buddy it’s probably close to it’s top speed. He says it’s kind of a more capable menten. My Menten-4 is only 750wh and I get decent range, but I generally ride around 20-32kmh. I think the falcon would make a great errand runner, short commute or little zippy mess around wheel. 

9 hours ago, Puzz said:

We all know that marketed range - you get about half in real world..

Like my 18xl should get about 120km, but in reality it gets about 65km. Still plenty for my needs, as i'm charging it once per 2 weeks. :D 

Edited by Funky

19 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The Falcon has exactly half the battery of the V12. A smaller battery means the voltage drops more when stressed, so the wheel will maybe beep more early/more easily when at low charge. So based on this, a fun+usable range of maybe 45% (instead of 50% for just the half battery size) of the V12's range is a reasonable expectation for the Falcon (assuming your speed is roughly the same). Do you get that?

You may also overestimate your V12's range if you never rode it down until it beeped at you. Don't trust any battery percentages or "miles left" claims by an app too much. You may come home with "50%" left on the V12, but in reality you may be (quite a bit) over 50% of the range you would have gotten.

In addition, you can check if your Falcon charges to the full voltage (should be 100V). Don't believe any percentages, these are just computed from the voltage, only voltage counts. What is your voltage after the charging has stopped? I think there have been some issues with Begode wheels lately where the charging stops a bit too early, this can eat quite a lot of usable range. Not sure if the Falcon is affected, but here's a video by Marty about the general issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIPYYW9Cwis . The bar display dropping right after you start could be a hint towards that, so I would definitely check if your "full" (after charging is over) voltage really is 100V.

That to me seems like shady business practices.. Why lie about technical specs when everyone is going to find out about it anyway?? That just wants to make me steer clear of Begode products. If a company can't be trusted then what's going to make you feel safe riding on their wheels? My Kingsong 16S and the Inmotion V12 always fully charged to their given voltage. 

8 minutes ago, Puzz said:

That to me seems like shady business practices.. Why lie about technical specs when everyone is going to find out about it anyway?? That just wants to make me steer clear of Begode products. If a company can't be trusted then what's going to make you feel safe riding on their wheels? My Kingsong 16S and the Inmotion V12 always fully charged to their given voltage. 

He just said to check if wheel charges fully.. Meaning it may have some kind problem where it doesn't charge fully and need to be returned. That's why maybe shorter range.

Every single wheel range is much lower than marketed one. The marketed range is done in test labs - riding medium speed at best condition and without constantly stopping/acceleration. To get best possible range.

Every single rider already know that in real world you are constantly stopping and starting to go. Not riding at one set speed without stops. Wind resistance alone can eat up battery. Same for hills..

Test lab - speed set at around 50% and riding non-stop. To bumps on road, No wind, No hills, No nothing. Rider weight probably around 70-80kg set in mind. (The wheel is riding in said "stand")

Real world - Faaack. Good - if you get half.

If you've been keeping up with my posts my falcon has a voltage issue, its back at the shop for repairs. But I get about 60km range out of my falcon (even with voltage issue) But i'm light weight rider 59kg with gear maybe 61kg (motorbike helmet weighs a kilogram). if you weigh more than me then you'll get way less range.

@Puzz Yep, I didn't say your wheel is defective or giving you false info; just that you can check for a possible explanation. Simply open some app and see what voltage it shows you when the wheel is fully charged (when the charger has stopped charging, just keep it in after the green light for an extra hour or so.). If it's 100.8V or close, that's good. If it's notably different, get back to us here:)

On 9/24/2024 at 12:25 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

@Puzz Yep, I didn't say your wheel is defective or giving you false info; just that you can check for a possible explanation. Simply open some app and see what voltage it shows you when the wheel is fully charged (when the charger has stopped charging, just keep it in after the green light for an extra hour or so.). If it's 100.8V or close, that's good. If it's notably different, get back to us here:)

I charged it yesterday and forgot to look. I just checked now and it said 98.6. Guess that's alright. I also noticed when I rode it yesterday, the battery levels weren't dropping as fast as they were initially.. I was also staying around 20+ mph. I wasn't riding all that slow. I don't ride as often as I'd like, so maybe it just needed some battery depletion and charge up time..  

From what I can tell from some information here, and begodes reputation with battery voltage, it seems this little wheel does not like to fully charge. Since I’ve owned mine, it’s varied from 100.4 to 100.0 at the point the light turns green. Lately been stopping at 100.0v, but if I leave it on charge for awhile it’ll jump to 100.2. I can’t get it back to 100.4. 
My Leaperkim wheels are like finely tuned clocks compared to this begode wheel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Puzz said:

I charged it yesterday and forgot to look. I just checked now and it said 98.6. Guess that's alright. I also noticed when I rode it yesterday, the battery levels weren't dropping as fast as they were initially.. I was also staying around 20+ mph. I wasn't riding all that slow. I don't ride as often as I'd like, so maybe it just needed some battery depletion and charge up time..  

No 98V is not right.. Same issue @kintips had? Return that wheel and be done with it. :D