12 Volts on KS14C motherboard?

UKJ

Please does anyone know if there is 12 volts available on the KS14C mark 3 motherboard so I can order fans to help my daily over heating issues, what volts are the head and tail lights?

I know I can connect to the usb port and have 5 volts but would like 12 v for more fan power and RPMs.

Thanks

ukj

Where do you want to transport the heat to? Air is the medium to transport heat in your case. Where does it come from and where does it went to? If heat is generated it's inefficiency/ wasted energy. You try to handle the impact and you never will deal with the cause. There's a design (hw/sw) flaw or placement error of the PCB of the KS14/18.

I am almost sure that because the case is plastic therefore insulating a bit and air tight that by first off simply opening it up to let it breath will be a big help and be the first step, and tested, if not satisfied either a 5v or 12v fan with two square openings about 30-40mm mm will be cut  and thin, 70 mm fans will be mounted exterior under the handle to protect them thereby providing air flow.

I will of course remove the mother board and waterproof and add a gortex like material over the fan,s as well.

I again just want to know if ANYONE knows if there is 12v to be connected to on a KS14C motherboard, PLEASE!

I am more than able to search for 12v with a multimeter but would like to order fans before so project can be done all at once.

ukj

I am working on a cooling solution for the ks18a, it is work in progress. I was also thinking of a 12v power source for the fans, and I am not sure if it is available or not. But posible work arounds are to use the the USB port as a 5 volt power source, another possibility is to use the 67v power from the battery pack but to use a resistor to limit the current since there are no 67v fans.

As far as the movement of air it goes like this:

Intake below the control board around battery area this way if water does enter gravity takes it down and control board does not get wet.

The movement of air is from bottom up, since hot air goes to the top, as cool air flows to the top the goal to cool the control board, under the aluminum plate it is posible to put heat sinks lifted a few millimeters from the bottom to allow for air circulation, as air passes through the heat sinks it will cool the control board, that air now hot will raise to the top of the case where it will need to exit.

Exit of hot air, at the very top, on the side that is furthest away from the control board using small holes, this way if water where to get in it would not get the control board wet and gravity would take it to the bottom.

The cooling could be passive, that is no fans, or active with one tiny fan pushing the cool air in the direction of the control board, and the other one for exhaust.

This cooling solution will cost around $40 since heats sinks, screws, thermal conducting glue, and fans will be needed.

The heat sinks combined with circulating air will help a lot in reducing the temperature. Circulating air alone will help only a little since for air to be able to cool surface area is needed and the heat sinks provide de surface area, the heat sinks alone will only help a little since after a while all the air inside the wheel would get very hot.

The fans help speed up the cooling.

The use of tiny fans is needed due to the limited area inside the wheel when using the large battery pack, but if the small battery pack is used then it is a lot easier since there is room for larger fans to push the air towards the heatsinks of the control board.

It is work in progress so there is probably a lot of room for improvement on this idea, in a few weeks I will make a post with more details as I work on this idea.

Cooling it is important since I know for a fact that currents above 55A based on the android app and temperatures above 60C will destroy the control board on the ks18a, and this can easily happen if you are heavy riding a steep hill using over 50A based on Android app.  I am not sure how Android app Amps relate to real Amps, but real Amps are lower, for example using 55A on the app does not blow the 40A fuse.

This cooling idea can be used on any EUC.

19 minutes ago, checho said:

I am working on a cooling solution for the ks18a, it is work in progress. I was also thinking of a 12v power source for the fans, and I am not sure if it is available or not. But posible work arounds are to use the the USB port as a 5 volt power source, another possibility is to use the 67v power from the battery pack but to use a resistor to limit the current since there are no 67v fans.

There are(?were?) nice small 5V fans available (from reichelt.de): Sunon KDE0504PFV2 (just 4x4x1 cm). I use them over three years now in a humidor - so they stand higher humidities. But no idea if they can stand the vibrations/shocks while riding an EUC or they provide enough air flow (could be enough for such small compartments?)

19 minutes ago, checho said:

As far as the movement of air it goes like this:

Intake below the control board around battery area this way if water does enter gravity takes it down and control board does not get wet.

The movement of air is from bottom up, since hot air goes to the top, as cool air flows to the top the goal to cool the control board, under the aluminum plate it is posible to put heat sinks lifted a few millimeters from the bottom to allow for air circulation, as air passes through the heat sinks it will cool the control board, that air now hot will raise to the top of the case where it will need to exit.

The aluminium plate is not cooled on one side from the moving air in the wheel compartment? That is imho be the only/most important cooling source in most EUCs.

So there normally is a "hole" covered tightly by this plate, so this plate has on one side access to the moving fresh air and on the other side the Mosfets are fixed (in the sometimes more mostly less watertight compartment).

If the control board + heatsink is confined in an (as good as) closed compartment there is a real no cooling situation...

50 minutes ago, Chriull said:

There are(?were?) nice small 5V fans available (from reichelt.de): Sunon KDE0504PFV2 (just 4x4x1 cm). I use them over three years now in a humidor - so they stand higher humidities. But no idea if they can stand the vibrations/shocks while riding an EUC or they provide enough air flow (could be enough for such small compartments?)

The aluminium plate is not cooled on one side from the moving air in the wheel compartment? That is imho be the only/most important cooling source in most EUCs.

So there normally is a "hole" covered tightly by this plate, so this plate has on one side access to the moving fresh air and on the other side the Mosfets are fixed (in the sometimes more mostly less watertight compartment).

If the control board + heatsink is confined in an (as good as) closed compartment there is a real no cooling situation...

In the ks18a it is all enclosed, but is is not too difficult to create some air circulation, but if instead of blowing air directly on the aluminum plate that cools the MOSFETs, heat sinks are attached to the aluminum plate and then air is blown it will greatly increase the cooling due to the greater surface area provided by the cooling fins of the heat sinks.

Thanks for the information on the fans, I have found some smaller fans 2.5x2.5x1 but they are 12v, in this case the 5v volt fan is more useful. 

Just came by this link

again. This seems to be a profound solution. Depends on ones "mechanical abilities", the controlboard situation (in which direction the mosfets are located) if it can be easily realised. The used plate looks like a stainless steel footboard/base plate - if so aluminium would be a much better choice. Since it is a quite protected area below the handle one could even try to take a heatsink with some fins...

This solution would have the advantage, that the inner compartments can be kept/made watertight. Maybe just some air vents left for the batteries - don't know how much heat they could produce, once they are challenged...

Archived