EUC and paragliding

mmk

5 hours ago, Jmac said:

I'm 72. Same riding preferences and observations of fitness. 2 arm injuries from being jettisoned forward upon hitting a shadowed ridglet. I'll take the blame: inattention as riding became intuitive and relaxing. Junes 2022 & 23. 

I'm on my second machine. Mostly neighborhood writing some trails.

I as well have another sport (paragliding) for adrenaline. What's yours?

3 hours ago, mmk said:

No effing shit !!!!!!!!     Paragliding of course !!!!!!!!     That's it, we're getting our own thread....

BGD Base2 S and SEA Runa here.......   finally I can throw out some shit others won't quite understand, as I have been subjected to from perusing the forum.

How 'bout :   The geezer ride and fly club

other suggestions?

36 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Are u on Telegram?  Eucs are taking over onewheels to reduce the hike. 

Telegram is somewhat the preferred chat for paragliders. You probably know.

I am but have never used it, or rather rarely, for one on one convos.  I'm mmohlk on there.

Locally, central Mexico, all we use is whatsapp. Is there a non local telegram group of some sort?  How do I find it?

Have been looking for a backpackable EUC. Nothing ideal thus far. Maybe we need to lobby a manufacturer? That would be immensely cool.

I do have one site where the EUC might come in handy, allowing to leave the car by the LZ, but still necessitates driving up to retrieve the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, mmk said:

Simple matter of time 'till this hits the EUC world. Inherited directly from paragliding harnesses, where drag reduction is paramount.

https://ramairfairing.com/cdn/shop/videos/c/vp/a347f3811b404d26ac4b07b4d02c0802/a347f3811b404d26ac4b07b4d02c0802.HD-1080p-2.5Mbps-32167104.mp4?v=0

"Also quite stylish!"

4 minutes ago, MacGyverCanada said:

"Also quite stylish!"

Just wait for the butt & leg extended model.  Best crash strategy will be rolling over.

There was a member on this site for 2-3 years from 2018-2021 iirc named "Shane's Planet" but his member account and posts have since been removed.

Shane was funny, maybe a little (lot?) off-center, rarely wore a helmet at first, and was posting videos about his foray into paragliding. I don't recall if he managed to launch from an EUC, but there was some discussion about it.

Hope he's doing ok.... 

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Launching from an EUC sounds doable but rather pointless, unless the EUC gets to fly along and allows you to ride home or to your car after landing.

Something along the lines of the I5 pictured above might be interesting in that sense. Needs to be VERY light though.

People have launched with bicycles and motorcycles so EUC is not that far fetched

Edited by mmk

If you google for paragliding here you'll find a bit (mostly very old threads, but yet). I believe there is some overlap between EUC riders and flyers, maybe just cool people with cool hobbies tend to have multiple cool hobbies. You can also use a EUC as a small vehicle to get to a remote launching point, a vehicle that can then fly with you. Well, maybe not today's 40kg monsters, but a lighter one.

I'd like to mention hang gliding, the bigger brother of paragliding. It works exactly like a EUC - you control it exclusively by shifting your weight around to which the glider reacts, plus there may be a little cord to adjust your stiffness, akin to the ride mode (soft/hard) you set on a EUC. It's so similar I consider hang gliders the EUCs of the sky, and EUCs are almost hang gliders on the ground. IIRC our very own @Marty Backeused to hang glide.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, litewave said:

There was a member on this site for 2-3 years from 2018-2021 iirc named "Shane's Planet" but his member account and posts have since been removed.

No. He decided to leave this forum and rename his acount to .....

Here his goodbye post 

• Like 1