beginner advise on where to get a gotway or similar

jaw7

Hi everyone this is my first post I'm 30 years old and live in south London electric unicycles have been catching my eye for sometime and I've decided I defanty want one i want something with good range and speed and so far from the little I've read I've come to the conclusion the gotway is the best , any advise where is a reliable place to buy one or a cheaper half decent alternative  would be appreciated thanks 

Contact Kevin lee on Facebook. He is very helpful and reliable. Many people on here have bought from him. He usually has very competitive pricing and good customer service

+1

I am about to buy my second GW from Kevin. You can send him an email to kevin.lee@silverland.com.hk :)

We're [www.wheelgo.com] based in London also, we distribute Ninebot, IPS & within the next two weeks King Song as well. The business has been operating for more than a year (which is donkey's years for Electric Wheels). There's a lot to be said for supporting a local distributor we can backup the warranty with local parts & turn things around much cheaper, offer next day shipping, & a chance of viewing the product before buying ,etc...

Months ago reviewed the possibility of distributing the Gotway as well, but I wasn't convinced that there would be consistent reliability—as a reseller, if you get even a small % of defects, any chance at building a business are completely eroded. I'm not saying Gotway is the wrong choice, only that there are other options that you should consider before committing.

Thanks everyone and cheers jason I noticed your also in London which would be good i looked on your site but I know the 2 types u sell would feel too slow for my liking 

I bought my NB1 from Jason after upgrading from X8 Airwheel and I've spoke with him many times for advice on other makes. He has no hidden agenda, no hard sell, he just knows about all there is needed to know about ECUs. 

He  will also meet you face to face, so your dealing with a person not someone who just going to box up and sell you your wheel. 

At least talk to him first. And for the record, I'll always buy again from him. 

Speed is really a double-edged sword, we all want it, but in a urban environment there are plenty of reports of people getting seriously hurt at +25kph. One reason why we're bringing in the King Song, is because they have pedal-tilt-back at 25kph, this reduces the chance of the power cutting out under you at max speed, which will also soon be configurable in software. 

It's inevitable that there will soon be either an outright ban on urban use, or a sensible set of policies that takes into account the Wheel's speed & other safety features.

I've got a 592Wh 14" sample arriving tomorrow morning for evaluation. This will likely sell for around £750, while the entry model, with the swapable battery will be offered for under £500, duty, VAT, & shipping included.

Speed is really a double-edged sword, we all want it, but in a urban environment there are plenty of reports of people getting seriously hurt at +25kph. One reason why we're bringing in the King Song, is because they have pedal-tilt-back at 25kph, this reduces the chance of the power cutting out under you at max speed, which will also soon be configurable in software. 

It's inevitable that there will soon be either an outright ban on urban use, or a sensible set of policies that takes into account the Wheel's speed & other safety features.

I've got a 592Wh 14" sample arriving tomorrow morning for evaluation. This will likely sell for around £750, while the entry model, with the swapable battery will be offered for under £500, duty, VAT, & shipping included.

Imagine coming off at 25kph, even at 12kph it takes a lot to keep on your feet without  Face planting. 

I've had a couple hairy moments, were I wasn't paying attention & hit a massive pothole at around 19kph, somehow managed to remain on my feet. 

Austin claims that he's able to run off at 34kph, we have any outstanding $100 bet on it. Personally, I don't think it's possible.

Imagine coming off at 25kph, even at 12kph it takes a lot to keep on your feet without  Face planting. 

I nearly did fall today, riding around max speed with the Firewheel, and didn't notice a couple of small "ripples" in the asphalt... wasn't clenching the wheel between my shins, so when it jumped a little, my feet lifted a bit from the pedals and moved backwards. Had I jumped a little more, the wheel would probably have shot right off from between my feet and I'd have landed on the asphalt feet first, trying to run at around 25km/h, which probably would have ended with a faceplant. Have to take care more when riding in poor road conditions...

I've had a couple hairy moments, were I wasn't paying attention & hit a massive pothole at around 19kph, somehow managed to remain on my feet. 

Austin claims that he's able to run off at 34kph, we have any outstanding $100 bet on it. Personally, I don't think it's possible.

​Running 34km/h would be near to what the world-class sprinters run at 100m dash... this might be possible (considering you aren't keeping up that speed, but rather start at it and slow down as fast as you can), but probably really hard to do in real life.

The most graceful bailout I've ever done was at about 14kph, just below the warning sound speed. I was on my Firewheel headed down a hill on a sidewalk and didn't see a big drop-off caused by a tree root pushing the sidewalk up. I was leaning back a little to slow down at the time, the wheel kind of shot out but I landed on my feet, ran it off, and the wheel rolled off into the grass and stopped pretty quickly. People were around and I have to say I must have looked pretty cool about it.

On the other hand, I was at an intersection yesterday with one foot on the wheel and waiting for traffic to clear so I could cross the street. When I got started I caught the other foot on the edge of the pedal and immediately fell over, scraping my knee pretty badly. Duh.

Thanks mate I'd much rather buy from the uk then China or anywhere I have a big ecigarete collection some cost hundreds of pounds and due to availibilty I've had to import some but I'd always rather pay a little extra and buy in the UK , especially as Covent Garden is close enough i could actually ride it home from u if I bought it there , so what is the fastest model u stock , I wish u had the gotway in stock due to speed I've never rid a unicycle but I had a go motorboard which did 15mph wen they first came out everybody said they felt fast but I was seriously underwhelmed , although I work in central London I will probably only use mine to take my dough de bordeaux out  I normally take her out with Rollerblades or my mountain bike I used to play semi pro ice hockey until recently so I'm used to going fast on my feet  

​While it's a double edged sword, it'd also be nice to match cyclists for speed where possible. (warning: imperial units incoming (UK resident)) As an example Google Maps uses 10mph/16kmh as an average cycling speed for route time estimates, that comes from cyclists being able to do up to about 20mph with ease but having to stop for junctions etc. If you have a wheel limited to 12mph or so you're gonna be quite a bit slower than a bike for commutes, averaging 6-8mph (guesstimate, need actual stats on cycle routes). Suddenly my 4 mile commute goes from 25 minutes to 40 minutes. This is one of my reasons for getting a Firewheel over a Ninebot.

What'd be cool is having a speed limiter which'd do roughly the same job as gears on a bike, you could have a low speed mode for going between pedestrians where you have more control but can only go up to 6mph or something and then if you find a long straight or a cycle route hit a button and go up to full speed which may be many times greater.

What'd be cool is having a speed limiter which'd do roughly the same job as gears on a bike, you could have a low speed mode for going between pedestrians where you have more control but can only go up to 6mph or something and then if you find a long straight or a cycle route hit a button and go up to full speed which may be many times greater.

​The newer firmware/app on Ninebot has the speed limiting functionality (as far as I've understood, you can disable it entirely, or set the speed limit between 6 and 12km/h, I think). But I don't know if it requires restarting the wheel between changing settings or how it works (does it just lift the pedals/play warning sound earlier?).

GW dont have a 16". Wish they had as it would be perfect for me :)

I would say that the 14" is lighter, more maneuverable and perhaps easier to handle in a city. Its also much easier to carry around if you want to take it on a bus or a train.

The 18" is probably better for cruising and longer distances.

@sickswan I've heard that the geared 16" Rockwheel doesn't have a long lifespan (the planetary gears apparently wear out fast), but it is fast and has high torque (thanks to the gearing). Vee said his 16" Rockwheel has a top speed of about 35km/h and can go up any hill as long as the tire has grip... The next fastest then would be Firewheel (around 30km/h), then maybe Ninebot One E+ (22-24km/h), I think the rest of the 16" wheels are up to 20km/h.

Too bad that Gotway doesn't build 16" wheels, don't know why...

​While it's a double edged sword, it'd also be nice to match cyclists for speed where possible. (warning: imperial units incoming (UK resident)) As an example Google Maps uses 10mph/16kmh as an average cycling speed for route time estimates, that comes from cyclists being able to do up to about 20mph with ease but having to stop for junctions etc. If you have a wheel limited to 12mph or so you're gonna be quite a bit slower than a bike for commutes, averaging 6-8mph (guesstimate, need actual stats on cycle routes). Suddenly my 4 mile commute goes from 25 minutes to 40 minutes. This is one of my reasons for getting a Firewheel over a Ninebot.

​There is no special path for unicycles yet. so that is not fair comparison between EUs and bikes. Top speed is capped at 25km/h by a lot EU manufacturers not because that is the max they can offer but one for US legislation requirement, two for general safety. Constant high speed riding with EU is not safe anyway. without a physical break, you end up in really bad shape when there is a fall at high speed.

Regards,

Mengke

Fastest electric bike when I bought one 4 or 5 years ago was the a2b metro it does 20mph it's an awesome bit of kit used it daily for 2 an a half years when lost my license (story for another day) will do 20 mile on a charge at 20 mph cost me 2 grand I did 10 miles a day at least 5 days a week for 2 an a half years it's a similar hub motor to these wheels and runs on a 36 volt Lithium ion battery at the time was only bike to have such power due to battery was patented by Sanyo or Panasonic or someone simolar ... again it's an amazing bit of kit Google it...

Archived