How often should I check shock pressure?

Posted (edited)

I’m sorry if this subject was already discussed elsewhere ~ in this case I’ll appreciate if you guide me to read it please…

The suspension thing is very new to me, I just got my wheel recently, and I keep practicing daily to get back on my lost riding skills 🙈🙉🙊

I’ve inflated the suspension and the tyre to the recommended pressure when I received the wheel ~ it’s been around two weeks ago.

Would you share how often should I check the suspension pressure please, and how to

reinflate it correctly (deinflate it to zero?, or top it up only?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Art.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(clarified title)

Posted (edited)

You need to buy a electrical air pump - connect it to the suspension - set wanted psi and forget.. It will autofill the suspension. :) 

Joking aside.. As often as you like. You can check it before each ride. Or when you can feel the suspension not "working" as it should.. Like bottoming out, etc.. It's completely up to you - how much time you want to waste by checking up on it and such things.. Also simply top it off.

At least this would be mine "routine": Once a week checkup. Maybe even once a month, as i ride only 5km daily.. I would buy wheel with simple spring suspension - no need to pump anything. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

First off - I presume your machine came with a mini shock pump right ?

Hopefully it's one of those ones with a locking lever that stops air escaping as you connect it.

So, with that in hand, move the switch to the 'not engaged' position and connect it to the air intake valve on the shock.

Then, flick the switch to make the connection and your pressure dial should instantly jump to roughly the value you pumped it up to initially.

If it is down 5 or 10 PSI that is fine and expected, but if it is down by over 50-150 PSI then you have a leaky shock that you will need to either replace or frequently monitor and top up, possibly before every ride. I had to do that for a while on my Master when its shock went leaky, and I kept that going for 6 months before I found time to fit a new one, which, touch wood, has remained constant pressure ever since.

OK, so note your pressure put your pump in HP mode and top it up to slightly more than the level you want, which allows for a small air loss at stage 3, disconnection.

If you just do the pump-up and then undo the switch and try to disconnect it, it will be almost impossible to get the pump valve off again (without rotating the whole valve stem) because of inner pressure.

So, to solve that, we flick the switch, and then PRESS the release button on the pump, which will release the pressurised air from the pump itself.

Once you get that short hiss, you will find the pump disconnects no problem.

A non-leaky shock doesn't need to be checked that often, or at all if you don't experience any bottoming out or change in suspension feel.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Funky said:

You need to buy a electrical air pump - connect it to the suspension - set wanted psi and forget.. It will autofill the suspension. :) 

Joking aside.. As often as you like. You can check it before each ride. Or when you can feel the suspension not "working" as it should.. Like bottoming out, etc.. It's completely up to you - how much time you want to waste by checking up on it and such things.. Also simply top it off.

At least this would be mine "routine": Once a week checkup. Maybe even once a month, as i ride only 5km daily.. I would buy wheel with simple spring suspension - no need to pump anything. :D 

Lol, cheers 😅

The air pressure is sky high, I bet there’s not electrical pump on the market capable to inflate my suspension to the desire pressure.

Once ago I was searching for an electrical pump to inflate my road bike tyre ~ I gave up eventually, as many was designed to inflate the car tyres rather, which doesn’t require this much of pressure…

Thanks for keen advice.

Art.

3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

First off - I presume your machine came with a mini shock pump right ?

Hopefully it's one of those ones with a locking lever that stops air escaping as you connect it.

So, with that in hand, move the switch to the 'not engaged' position and connect it to the air intake valve on the shock.

Then, flick the switch to make the connection and your pressure dial should instantly jump to roughly the value you pumped it up to initially.

If it is down 5 or 10 PSI that is fine and expected, but if it is down by over 50-150 PSI then you have a leaky shock that you will need to either replace or frequently monitor and top up, possibly before every ride. I had to do that for a while on my Master when its shock went leaky, and I kept that going for 6 months before I found time to fit a new one, which, touch wood, has remained constant pressure ever since.

OK, so note your pressure put your pump in HP mode and top it up to slightly more than the level you want, which allows for a small air loss at stage 3, disconnection.

If you just do the pump-up and then undo the switch and try to disconnect it, it will be almost impossible to get the pump valve off again (without rotating the whole valve stem) because of inner pressure.

So, to solve that, we flick the switch, and then PRESS the release button on the pump, which will release the pressurised air from the pump itself.

Once you get that short hiss, you will find the pump disconnects no problem.

A non-leaky shock doesn't need to be checked that often, or at all if you don't experience any bottoming out or change in suspension feel.

It seems you’re always eager to help @Cerbera 👍

Thanks for detailed step by step guide.

I really do appreciate 👍

And yes, that’s right, the high pressure air pump came in the box.

Best regards.

Art.

14 minutes ago, Funky said:

There are many cheap electrical pumps that can do 150psi.. Bigger more expensive could do more psi.

Get air compressor and blow that suspension sky high. :D In 1 second you will have your dream psi. :D Same for filling 

You’re set around 150psi, where I need around 1100psi 😅

Maybe the air compressor could manage though 😉👍

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PogArtTi said:

It seems you’re always eager to help @Cerbera 👍

Lols - you're lucky in 4 respects - 1, I have a similar wheel to you, 2, I don't have much work on at the moment, 3, I happen to know the answers to the questions you are asking, and 4, it's raining so I'm not out riding ! :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Lols - you're lucky in 4 respects - 1, I have a similar wheel to you, 2, I don't have much work on at the moment, 3, I happen to know the answers to the questions you are asking, and 4, it's raining so I'm not out riding ! :)

Hahaha ha ha haaaaa 😅👍👍👍

It’s a really funny coincidence my friend 🙉🙊🙈

👍👍👍

Take care 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Why 1100PSI?!? (I thought most suspension need is around 200-400psi?) Fat Albert is that you?

Hide contents

s-l1200.jpg

I’m not sure if I enjoy your sense of humor @Funky.

The picture you’ve shared can be offensive, why you pointing it on me? ~ I’m confused.

I’ve noticed you don’t know what air pressure is required for my suspension, but it’s not a reason to call me fat Albert, is it?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, PogArtTi said:

I’m not sure if I enjoy your sense of humor @Funky.

The picture you’ve shared can be offensive, why you pointing it on me? ~ I’m confused.

I’ve noticed you don’t know what air pressure is required for my suspension, but it’s not a reason to call me fat Albert, is it?

Nah not in that way.. FYI: i'm 285lbs myself. ;) You just said 1100psi. More psi is needed if you are "big bone" guy. Just when you said that crazy number i thought you maybe be a big guy like myself. :D Aka Fat Albert. Doesn't mean i'm making fun of you. (I don't even know you, more so what you look like..)

Just first time hearing a suspension needing that high number..

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PogArtTi said:

I’m sorry if this subject was already discussed elsewhere ~ in this case I’ll appreciate if you guide me to read it please…

The suspension thing is very new to me, I just got my wheel recently, and I keep practicing daily to get back on my lost riding skills 🙈🙉🙊

I’ve inflated the suspension and the tyre to the recommended pressure when I received the wheel ~ it’s been around two weeks ago.

Would you share how often should I check the suspension pressure please, and how to

reinflate it correctly (deinflate it to zero?, or top it up only?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Art.

now then mate I see your back riding euc , what wheel you got now? I've been through a few since we met

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Funky said:

Nah not in that way.. FYI: i'm 285lbs myself. ;) You just said 1100psi. More psi is needed if you are "big bone" guy. Just when you said that crazy number i thought you maybe be a big guy like myself. :D Aka Fat Albert. Doesn't mean i'm making fun of you. (I don't even know you, more so what you look like..)

Just first time hearing a suspension needing that high number..

It’s alright, I get your point.

I’ve mention the number of PSI of an air pressure required to inflate my wheel’s suspension because you’ve advised an electrical air pump - at that point I knew that you aren’t aware of an actual sky high air pressure needed 🙊🙉🙈

Therefore I said ~ the air compressor might be more capable in this matter.

I’m skinny guy though, 66kg (😅) so it wasn’t offensive to me, I mean the picture …

But the way you’ve made it up.., made me confused, whether it’s a friendly joke or it’s sarcastic message - if you know I mean.

Take care.

Art.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stephen said:

now then mate I see your back riding euc , what wheel you got now? I've been through a few since we met

Nice to hear from you @stephen 👍

I was searching for you, but years passed by and I was incorrectly typing you name by „v” - I couldn’t find you…

Then I thought you might not been riding an EUC anymore?

You know, life goes its own way, things changing…

I’m so happy you’re not giving up 👍👍👍

Few times Peter (Gasmantle) has tried to chat to me, always about EUCs …

Unfortunately it was making our conversation a bit unpleasant, as I’ve sold my beloved Z10, and Peter was sharing news about new wheels out on the market , which was just out of my interest back then…

Eventually he has stopped getting in touch, just like between you and me …

If there’s no interest to talk about, it’s difficult to keep in touch, isn’t it?

There’s much more to talk about, we may leave it for the time when we might meet up again some day if you want to?

But it won’t be any soon 🙊🙉🙈

It’s been about 5 years since I sold the Z10 you see…

I didn’t know I’ll forget how to ride EUC?! 

So I’m keep practicing every time I can, to get refresh all necessary skills to ride it 😅

It’s funny - I’ve started again on the kitchen’s floor !!!

Then moved to the driveway holding to the bins 🙉🙊🙈

I’ve managed do some progress though, at the moment I’m pushing my limits and going near by places, but with shaking legs still 🙉🙊🙈

Like a newbie you see, just the way you remember me 😅

No any confidence riding ~ shaking pants and scared of falling off 😅😅😅

So it’ll take me some time to be brave enough to get to Lister Park 🙈

What wheel you ask ~ it’s below my profile picture …

Begode Ex ~ suspension thing!!!

Can you believe it?

There was not any suspension back in 2018 😅😅😅

Are you still working for BRI ?

I hope you’re well and family.

I’m glad you’ve found me in here 😉👍

Art.

3 hours ago, PogArtTi said:

It’s alright, I get your point.

I’ve mention the number of PSI of an air pressure required to inflate my wheel’s suspension because you’ve advised an electrical air pump - at that point I knew that you aren’t aware of an actual sky high air pressure needed 🙊🙉🙈

Therefore I said ~ the air compressor might be more capable in this matter.

I’m skinny guy though, 66kg (😅) so it wasn’t offensive to me, I mean the picture …

But the way you’ve made it up.., made me confused, whether it’s a friendly joke or it’s sarcastic message - if you know I mean.

Take care.

Art.

Yeah now i understand the PSI..

Offensive how? (To me he's simply bit overweight guy and that's it!)

Friendly joke was my intension. He's name was the punch line "Fat.." - Just to clear everything up. :) 

66kg.. Dam which side of me you wanna be? Left or Right? :D

Anyways i'm gonna leave now.. Take care yourself too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Funky said:

Yeah now i understand the PSI..

Offensive how? (To me he's simply bit overweight guy and that's it!)

Friendly joke was my intension. He's name was the punch line "Fat.." - Just to clear everything up. :) 

66kg.. Dam which side of me you wanna be? Left or Right? :D

Anyways i'm gonna leave now.. Take care yourself too.

Yeah, lol … 

I’m far away from being a big block lol 😅

Take care 👍

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 12:02 AM, PogArtTi said:

Nice to hear from you @stephen 👍

I was searching for you, but years passed by and I was incorrectly typing you name by „v” - I couldn’t find you…

Then I thought you might not been riding an EUC anymore?

You know, life goes its own way, things changing…

I’m so happy you’re not giving up 👍👍👍

Few times Peter (Gasmantle) has tried to chat to me, always about EUCs …

Unfortunately it was making our conversation a bit unpleasant, as I’ve sold my beloved Z10, and Peter was sharing news about new wheels out on the market , which was just out of my interest back then…

Eventually he has stopped getting in touch, just like between you and me …

If there’s no interest to talk about, it’s difficult to keep in touch, isn’t it?

There’s much more to talk about, we may leave it for the time when we might meet up again some day if you want to?

But it won’t be any soon 🙊🙉🙈

It’s been about 5 years since I sold the Z10 you see…

I didn’t know I’ll forget how to ride EUC?! 

So I’m keep practicing every time I can, to get refresh all necessary skills to ride it 😅

It’s funny - I’ve started again on the kitchen’s floor !!!

Then moved to the driveway holding to the bins 🙉🙊🙈

I’ve managed do some progress though, at the moment I’m pushing my limits and going near by places, but with shaking legs still 🙉🙊🙈

Like a newbie you see, just the way you remember me 😅

No any confidence riding ~ shaking pants and scared of falling off 😅😅😅

So it’ll take me some time to be brave enough to get to Lister Park 🙈

What wheel you ask ~ it’s below my profile picture …

Begode Ex ~ suspension thing!!!

Can you believe it?

There was not any suspension back in 2018 😅😅😅

Are you still working for BRI ?

I hope you’re well and family.

I’m glad you’ve found me in here 😉👍

Art.

yeah still riding euc ,I have a Sherman S,I go everywhere on it , I'm currently in Morecambe waiting for my friend to arrive we are doing coast to coast ( Morecambe to Bridlington) Oooh and back😀

should be 360 miles in 4 days

last year we did Southport to hornsea in 2 days 240 miles😊

yeah I'm still working at BRI 

suspension wheels are great I'm loving the Sherman S , definitely meet up again I think you'll be a while for a big trip especially if your starting out in the kitchen again😀 take it easy

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stephen said:
On 5/22/2024 at 12:02 AM, PogArtTi said:

I'm currentl in Morecambe waiting for my friend to arrive we are doing coast to coast ( Morecambe to Bridlington) Oooh and back😀

should be 360 miles in 4 days

Do you mean… on Sherman???

There and back on EUCs???

It must be a joke ~ because I’ve never got along a British humour  🙊🙈🙉

What can I say, I’m speechless 🙊🙊🙊

This is something extraordinary ❤️❤️❤️

💕Enjoy and ride safe 💕

definitely meet up again I think you'll be a while for a big trip especially if your starting out in the kitchen again😀 

Yeah, that’s right… kitchen floor 😅😅😅

To help myself out moving this heavy wheel, which weights more than half of me (🙉), I’ve invested into Nylonove set…

I’m thinking that an extra shin surface will be helpful to push the wheel forward…

Also longer pedals…

The latter making me crazy (😅)

I’ve chosen size L because I’m skinny lad, and size XL is 10mm longer…

So I’ve started having doubts whether I’ve made a right choice if you know I mean…

I’ve even posted the question onto other post asking for feedback 🙈

I was advised by @EUC Custom Power-Pads and @Funky that a size L should be alright for me, as there’s only 5mm difference at front and rear literally, where the rear 5mm won’t change much at all, and the 5mm more at a front won’t be noticeable…

I’ve heard that this size L will support more the foot manoeuvrability too, and it’s more suitable for sharper turns etc…

So I keep fingers crossed I’ll be happy having a 10mm shorter version pedals 🙉🙈🙊

I bet I might be sort of ready (🙈) for Lister Park meeting this year yet 😅😅😅

Art,

Edited by PogArtTi

5 hours ago, PogArtTi said:

I’ve heard that this size L will support more the foot manoeuvrability too, and it’s more suitable for sharper turns etc…

no, the XL is little shorter at the outer front edge (different shape) 

"... In an extreme lean angle, you may have a few millimeters more distance to the ground with XL before you touch the ground. Uphill on a protruding root or stone you lose a few millimeters and you get stuck. With L it's the other way around. L offers a little more space for the foot if you stand in duck foot position like most people"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

no, the XL is little shorter at the outer front edge (different shape) 

"... In an extreme lean angle, you may have a few millimeters more distance to the ground with XL before you touch the ground. Uphill on a protruding root or stone you lose a few millimeters and you get stuck. With L it's the other way around. L offers a little more space for the foot if you stand in duck foot position like most people"

Here it comes the shape variation 😉👍

I understand this even more what you’ve said on the other post @EUC Custom Power-Pads 👍

Thank you again 👌

Art.

13 hours ago, PogArtTi said:

Do you mean… on Sherman???

There and back on EUCs???

It must be a joke ~ because I’ve never got along a British humour  🙊🙈🙉

What can I say, I’m speechless 🙊🙊🙊

This is something extraordinary ❤️

yes we doing it all on the Sherman S , We've arrived in knarsborough today, we rode 94 miles from Morecambe so only 80 to do tomorrow to Bridlington,  oooh but then we have to go back again so that's another 180 miles ,, tired now though

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 9:30 PM, stephen said:

yes we doing it all on the Sherman S , We've arrived in knarsborough today, we rode 94 miles from Morecambe so only 80 to do tomorrow to Bridlington,  oooh but then we have to go back again so that's another 180 miles ,, tired now though

It’s must have be an amazing experience!!!

Congrats to both of you 👍

It was smart move today to go beyond the first half, tomorrow will be easier 👌

I did some research to learn some about the Sherman S @stephen, and I must admit it’s pretty damn good wheel !!!

I’ve never had mentioned it before, but I was always impressed with you swallowing miles on yours MSX ❤️

Later I was a bit regretting going for Z10 ~ most probably this is where I started considering to sell it.

It was giving me wobbles out of nowhere scaring the s*** out of me, and it was drastically reducing the speed when battery dropped below 50% if I remember.

The latter has made me frequently topping up battery to mange decent speed while on the road…

This time my wheel is closer match to yours Sherman S, so there’s a light at the tunnel’s end, that one day I may give you companion to go places around 🙉🙈🙊

There’s only few months left to welcome 2025 (😅) …

There’s a hope I’ll improve my skills enough till then (😅) to ride from kitchen to living room  🙉🙈🙊

Thanks for update ~ good luck and safe ride 👍

Edited by PogArtTi
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

Just do like me - remove suspension from your EUC.
No suspension = no suspension to maintain. :thumbup:

Did you???

I didn’t know it’s possible to remove it and ride it without, wow!?

What an interesting idea 🙉🙈🙊

👍👍👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PogArtTi said:

Did you???

I didn’t know it’s possible to remove it and ride it without, wow!?

What an interesting idea 🙉🙈🙊

👍👍👍

To 'interesting' idea may I also add 'horrible' ? ;)

I had non-susp wheel for the first 4 years, and boy was I glad when it finally arrived ! I know there are 'reasons' why people wanna remove it, but I'm damned if I understand them ! My knees used to ache after every ride, whereas now they are in cushioned luxury and every day they thank me for it :) Not to mention the safety aspect. You can survive quite some level of unforeseen potholes / terrain with suspension, without it your chances of being bounced or wrenched off pedals, or otherwise derailed are much higher, so you have to be consequently much more vigilant of impending surfaces as you ride, which means less far-look-ahead time, and less overall situational awareness. AND if you take suspension out of a machine designed with it, you may find your pedals are worryingly low, and thereby present an increasing danger of pedal clips. SO that's 'the case against', in case you're interested...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Cerbera said:

To 'interesting' idea may I also add 'horrible' ? ;)

I had non-susp wheel for the first 4 years, and boy was I glad when it finally arrived ! I know there are 'reasons' why people wanna remove it, but I'm damned if I understand them ! My knees used to ache after every ride, whereas now they are in cushioned luxury and every day they thank me for it :) Not to mention the safety aspect. You can survive quite some level of unforeseen potholes / terrain with suspension, without it your chances of being bounced or wrenched off pedals, or otherwise derailed are much higher, so you have to be consequently much more vigilant of impending surfaces as you ride, which means less far-look-ahead time, and less overall situational awareness. AND if you take suspension out of a machine designed with it, you may find your pedals are worryingly low, and thereby present an increasing danger of pedal clips. SO that's 'the case against', in case you're interested...

No (😅😅😅I’m not interested my friend at all 🙉

If you thought I am - you’ve read my attitude wrong 👍

I’m in deep surprise it’s possible to get rid of suspension and run the wheel without like nothing happened 🙈!?

That was my point of expression 👊, not the likeness 🙊

It’s because I’m well aware of benefits suspension provides, just exactly as you’ve described it @Cerbera.

I’m not sure if you remember my very first posts?, where I was looking for opportunity to get Z10 once again maybe, not because I wanted the same wheel to own, but because I was short to buy decent wheel ~ so I was looking for any chance to get started riding again, and at this point it wasn’t this much important what wheel, it was about any wheel 😉👍

I have mentioned my past thoughts to guide my clue further to the suspension thing…

Back in 2017/2018 there was no suspensions, so I wasn’t aware that latest wheels got this feature ?!

I was against - I didn’t want it !

From Z10 idea it has evolved to Gotway Monster (because there’s no suspension!) 😅

It was simply ~ I was riding without it, why would I ever want it?

When my brain did reset itself..?

Just by coincidence 😅!

The parcel with Gotway Monster was about to be shipped that day ~ I’ve received an email ~ due to a stock error

So I was offered full refund at that point or … pay more and get BEGODE EX ../ with suspension!

This is when I’ve changed the way I saw suspension as unwanted feature @Cerbera 👍

I knew literally nothing about it ~ I started educating myself by watching YouTube’s reviews and reading articles ❤️

This is how I learnt how important suspension is… 

Best regards.

Art.

Edited by PogArtTi
  • Like 3