Yet another dumb thread split off from somewhere (Vitamin D/medical conspiracy BS)

1 hour ago, Funky said:

More like 11 months of sun deprivation and 2 dozen years of depression. :D (~+1 dozen in school years.)

I'm not an outdoorsy guy.. Maybe once in a while i go for a swim in summer. And ride by beach in swim trunks.

Meh looking back only reason i joined - was because i was choosing between 18xl and 16x euc and asked some questions.. Looking back i probably should have not asked and simply bought euc and never talked about them again... 

I simply have nothing better to do. :efefb6a84e:

Vitamin D supplementation at high doses like 1500 IU per day goes a long long way

1712949308389395.gif

5 hours ago, Esash said:

Vitamin D supplementation at high doses like 1500 IU per day goes a long long way

1712949308389395.gif

I like how the world is burning behind the froggy. :D 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, litewave said:

Make sure it's D3. 10,000 IU is now the recommended minimum; 20,000 has become commonplace. Must take with vitamin K2 in proper proportions 100mcg K2/ 10,000IU.D3. Other sources corroborate.

Sorry, but "dr" Berg is really not a viable scientific source. (I don't mean the vit K is not a thing, but this guy just makes money over clickbait).

10 minutes ago, lumentin said:

Sorry, but "dr" Berg is really not a viable scientific source. (I don't mean the vit K is not a thing, but this guy just makes money over clickbait).

That's one interpretation. Arguably, everyone on YT is doing the same thing - designing content for clicks. Dr. Berg was a licensed, practicing chiropractor and does, in fact, run a clinic in Maryland. He is corroborated by many other sources including Dr. Sten Ekberg, Dr. Gundry, and a slew of others. Yes, his titles and video images seem a bit prole, but his content is legit, and most other credible sources also agree. Edit: He also cites his scientific sources in almost every video.

Edited by litewave

30 minutes ago, litewave said:

Edit: He also cites his scientific sources in almost every video.

His sources are often either not official, and/or he gives (with his colleagues) his own interpretation to it. He is not acknowledged in the scientific world. But so goes the world and internet, you can tell what you want, and people, especially those days, are keen to follow what is natural, and seems miraculous, opposed to the bad labs and governement. "What They dont tell you!".

Just my 2c. I am an "old" former scientist, now physical therapist, and don't know The Absolute Truth.

Edited by lumentin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lumentin said:

His sources are often either not official, and/or he gives (with his colleagues) his own interpretation to it. He is not acknowledged in the scientific world. But so goes the world and internet, you can tell what you want, and people, especially those days, are keen to follow what is natural, and seems miraculous, opposed to the bad labs and governement. "What They dont tell you!".

Just my 2c. I am an "old" scientist, now physical therapist, and don't know The Absolute Truth.

Yeah, that "old" science gave us the famous food pyramid and a lot of other crap and is generally influenced/run by large industries with the deep pockets to fund their research, e.g., the American Heart Association and General Foods. The FDA is a prime example of how industry and large "food" corporations have coopted "science".

Also, I think you are exaggerating your indictment of his sources. Try watching more than a handful of videos. He interviews many credible sources and cites published books and papers.

Mods: please break off this discussion about health issues into a separate thread, thanks!

How about you guys just delete your own offtopic comments from here. There are no proper areas here for medical discussions especially those that get close to politics or alternative ideas. 

please all continue discussion on Begide Falcon. Whatever other comments you have in mind, just leave it out. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UniVehje said:

How about you guys just delete your own offtopic comments from here. There are no proper areas here for medical discussions especially those that get close to politics or alternative ideas. 

please all continue discussion on Begide Falcon. Whatever other comments you have in mind, just leave it out. 

Really, is it too much trouble to move a handful of posts to a new thread? The health discussion may be of interest to the community, and being fit as a rider is important to many of us.

Also, aren't EUCs an alternative idea?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, litewave said:

Dr. Berg was a licensed, practicing chiropractor and does, in fact, run a clinic in Maryland.

So he's a licensed witch-doctor 'practicing' something which isn't scientifically or medically based and has cause multiple deaths? Very credible... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic_controversy_and_criticism#Notable_incidents_and_lawsuits

14 hours ago, litewave said:

Arguably, everyone on YT is doing the same thing

...maybe don't get medical advice from randoms on Youtube? Lol

• Like 1

I included an interview with Eric Berg's son. Eric Berg is a Scientologist and not a good person.
I find his videos a very low-effort "let's google a topic on the internet" just to churn a video per day, not speaking from experience.

I am on a low-carb diet myself, I find that it does wonders. Meat-heavy low-carb is definitely our (human) natural way of eating, not the crap official guidelines are pushing on us and our kids.

But there are far better people to follow than Eric Berg, both in terms of merit and moral character.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

I included an interview with Eric Berg's son. Eric Berg is a Scientologist and not a good person.
I find his videos a very low-effort "let's google a topic on the internet" just to churn a video per day, not speaking from experience.

I am on a low-carb diet myself, I find that it does wonders. Meat-heavy low-carb is definitely our (human) natural way of eating, not the crap official guidelines are pushing on us and our kids.

But there are far better people to follow than Eric Berg, both in terms of merit and moral character.

His videos are low-hanging fruit but generally credible and interesting. they are packaged in a shorter format than some of the long-winded interviews that dominate this space. He's a great source, in my opinion, to find starting points for further research. I think what some people who consider themselves educated and well-informed are turnedd off by is his intentional appeal to less-informed types. However, just because information is well-packaged and presented for easier understanding doesn't make it suspect. 

As for Scientology, whether true or not, who cares? Scientology does not = bad, any more than Islam = bad, though a large number of people embrace the hate.

As for moral character, that's a slippery slope and not a a reason to reject anyone's work. Nor is one video by an estranged family member a reason to assault a person publicly. I wonder what Junior's incentives were?  Revenge? Financial? Who knows, and who cares.

9 hours ago, Frolic0415 said:

So he's a licensed witch-doctor 'practicing' something which isn't scientifically or medically based and has cause multiple deaths? Very credible... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic_controversy_and_criticism#Notable_incidents_and_lawsuits

...maybe don't get medical advice from randoms on Youtube? Lol

It's not medical advice; it's nutrition. There are numerous MDs and other medically-trained sources on YT and in print who concur.

I don't want to make ennemies, and generally people following/believing these guys don't change their mind often... but really, I looked into Berg some time ago, and he is using trends/beliefs/hope to be healthy just with tricks and with two ingredients to avoid/add to your diet. There is often no scientific background behind what he says. Yes, he cites sources. For example, he talks about an article where whatever diet improved kidney's function. Great, let's all eat the same! But the article talked about few cancerous people with dysfunctions, not normal healthy people. Of course if you have intestinal cancer, your vitamine absorption will be bad and a supplementation will be necessary. Chemo will help you if you have cancer. Would you say it's good and healthy for everybody?

My patients LOVE this kind of things, even sometimes ask about something they saw on internet (and it's better than do it without asking questions). People want to believe it's simple and natural. I'd like to, too.

So they are misleading people, and making profit over fear and hope. And that's what makes me crazy.

PS: LOL about the topic title.

On 4/20/2024 at 4:39 PM, litewave said:

As for Scientology, whether true or not, who cares? Scientology does not = bad, any more than Islam = bad, though a large number of people embrace the hate.

Nor is one video by an estranged family member a reason to assault a person publicly. I wonder what Junior's incentives were?  Revenge? Financial? Who knows, and who cares.

Religions aren't equal. And pointing out problems with a particular religion is not hate, as long as it's grounded in facts.

The best antidote against ignorance is knowledge. So here it is:
- Scientology completely cuts off it's Sea Org members from outside information.
- Scientology has a private prison - The Hole
- Scientology treats it's Sea Org member elders like any other person. There is no "retirement" or even "work less than 120 hours per week" if you're old and your body is failing. You'll just reincarnate anyway, so what's the fuss about being old. They just call it "dropping the body".
- Scientology protects it's child abusers instead of giving them to authorities - Danny Masterson
- Members of Sea Org sign "billion year contracts". Even 10 year old children are sometimes forced to do so.
- Scientology spies on it's former members using private investigators. - link1 link2
- If someone leaves Scientology, their families are forced to cut ties with them. There are lots of broken families because of that strict policy.
- Scientology's flag ship Freewinds is full of asbestos. When compared to other problems, cancer in 30 years is actually quite mild

Sea Org members have to physically escape from it's premises. For example:
- Valerie Haney escaped in a trunk of an actor's car.
- Mark Headley was ran off the road on a motorcycle when he was escaping the "International Base".
- Rosemary Chicwak, a dying elderly woman had to be... I can't even describe a few months process it took to rescue her from abuse. Just listen to it yourself.
- Rachael Hastings Adair had to use a doctor's appointment as an excuse to leave the base to escape.

Pretty much every Sea Org member has their own story. Some of them are worthy of a thriller movie.
This is just a tiny snippet, there are A LOT more stories like these. Needless to say, religions aren't equal and Scientology is VERY EVIL by any rational standard.

If you want to learn more, look no further than Lex Fridman's podcast with Aaron Smith-Levin, a former Scientologist.

Eric Berg is both bringing people into Scientology and donating millions. He's also treating his employees like trash.

As for moral character, that's a slippery slope and not a a reason to reject anyone's work.

Moral character is only a secondary reason for me. His advice is simply subpar. He truly is just googling stuff to churn one video per day without much depth of thought.

Ken Berry or Paul Mason are IMO way better people to follow in the low-carb space. Among countless others.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Upvote 1