V11 knocking sound on every rotation [video included] - any ideas?

Lanaru

Video here: https://v.redd.it/re703xmooypc1/DASH_360.mp4

You can hear a "pop" or the knock. When I ride it, the knock gets faster and faster along with every rotation, but after I go fast enough it disappears.

I thought it could be the tire valve knocking on the frame, but it's not. I reinstalled the suspension shocks a few days ago, it could be related but I have no clue how.

I did some research but couldn't find anything useful - any input is appreciated, thank you.

• Like 1

If it’s very new wheel, that tire has a tendency to pick up rocks when new. But more likely it’s a bearing alignment problem. If you are still under warranty, talk to your dealer.

idk if i play that video there is no sound at all.  The unmute button does not work.  Downloading the video doesn't help ??

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

If it’s very new wheel, that tire has a tendency to pick up rocks when new. But more likely it’s a bearing alignment problem. If you are still under warranty, talk to your dealer.

Definitely not under warranty, I think it has 1000km on it at least. Any way I could repair this myself?

9 hours ago, Lanaru said:

9 hours ago, Lanaru said:

Not sure if this forum supports reddit links, so I uploaded here, should work: https://streamable.com/hm5nib

6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Yep, there is no audio on that clip.

I hear the audio in both links - for reddit it has to be unmuted, which works for me (it opens the reddit app)

I think it's bearing.. If you yourself wanna work on it - you will need to open motor and push out/in the bearing to reline it. 

If i would be you and needed to open motor - i would buy new bearings and change them, just in case.. As you already are in the motor - why not just change the bearings for new ones in first place? What's couple of $$$..

Oh and don't forget about siliconing the motor afterwards.. If you ride in rain - it will protect the motor.

Neat trick to get waterproof motor and same time easy to open motor - grease the bead of motor where motor cover and motor meet (screw bead) and silicone the motor cover itself only. The grease that you put on motor side won't let the silicone stick to motor. And you will be available to open the motor easily afterwards.

(Motor - thin grease layer around the bead.)

(Motor cover - thin silicone layer around the bead.)

When you sandwich them both together. The grease layer won't let the silicone stick to motor that well. But same time the silicone will press inside the grove to protect from water.

Edited by Funky

14 hours ago, Funky said:

I think it's bearing.. If you yourself wanna work on it - you will need to open motor and push out/in the bearing to reline it. 

If i would be you and needed to open motor - i would buy new bearings and change them, just in case.. As you already are in the motor - why not just change the bearings for new ones in first place? What's couple of $$$..

Oh and don't forget about siliconing the motor afterwards.. If you ride in rain - it will protect the motor.

Neat trick to get waterproof motor and same time easy to open motor - grease the bead of motor where motor cover and motor meet (screw bead) and silicone the motor cover itself only. The grease that you put on motor side won't let the silicone stick to motor. And you will be available to open the motor easily afterwards.

(Motor - thin grease layer around the bead.)

(Motor cover - thin silicone layer around the bead.)

When you sandwich them both together. The grease layer won't let the silicone stick to motor that well. But same time the silicone will press inside the grove to protect from water.

Thank you for the advice. I agree with you - might as well do the thing right if I'm taking the time to go into it.

So I will need new bearings, silicone, and grease.

Do I need bearing glue?

Are the bearings generic or do I need some specialty EUC generic?

I'm a bit dreading this repair, hopefully it's not as hard as some make it seem.

1 hour ago, Lanaru said:

Thank you for the advice. I agree with you - might as well do the thing right if I'm taking the time to go into it.

So I will need new bearings, silicone, and grease.

Do I need bearing glue?

Are the bearings generic or do I need some specialty EUC generic?

I'm a bit dreading this repair, hopefully it's not as hard as some make it seem.

IDK about V11 bearings.. But i have changed my ks18xl bearings.. If you know what you're doing - it's easy to change. Just takes time..

I personally put simply grease inside the grove - where bearing sits. So no water can get past it.

Edited by Funky