Unicycle for commute for heavy rider

Hi!

Just learned to ride EUC on used V8F(mileage is close to 300km). I'm heavy. 115kg without gear, and up to 125kg with the gear. You can recommend me losing some weight and I plan to, but even after that it will be not less than 100kg with gear.

I definitely want something more powerful and with more range than V8F. Currently I commute from suburbs to center of Lisbon using train(2km home to train, 4km train to office). So 12km per day. And I want to exclude the train part and go 20km one way and preferrably without charging in the middle. On V8F I'm getting range of ~20km, so I need to bring charger with me to exclude train.

I mostly use bike paths, local small roads(speed limit of 30kph) and sidewalk along big streets. I do not intend to go offroading on EUC and do not intend to ride faster than 35kph. The surface it mostly good, but there are some curbs that I jump off/ride up. And there are some cobblestone and portuguese sidewalks, which are not paved with asphalt, but with small stones which are pretty smooth, but far from perfect. There are some stairs and I live on the second floor withour elevator, so would like the wheel to be on the lighter side(up to 30kg)

I had no chance to ride suspension EUC, but do not think the complexity and maintenance is worth it in my case.

The wheel I mostly think of is ks-18xl. But maybe I should consider other options?

• Like 2

Question is about curbs. I do have several less than 10cm curbs on my route. And I really don't like to stop for them. Neither up or down.
Do you think it's not safe for the axle?

2 hours ago, padluka said:

Question is about curbs. I do have several less than 10cm curbs on my route. And I really don't like to stop for them. Neither up or down.

Well i did break my "dot welds" that my axle had by simply doing pendulum.. (The axle where held by single small dot weld each side of wheel.) Had to open motor and reweld them.. I welded them all around the axle so they should not break again.

I step and push my wheel off/on those 10cm curbs, or take a different route.. 5 sec hopping off, or have broken axle. I know what i will choose. :D I don't even want to risk it. The worst part - the axle can crack, but not break off right that moment.. And one beautiful day, when you are cruising going 30-40km/h the pedal suddenly PoP's off.. And you crash and break something. Is it worth the risk? Or is it better to step off for 5 sec? I know my choice. :D 

Also if you hit higher curb without jumping same time. You may get flat or worse dent the rim.. Just saying. I know i'm to heavy for the wheel and simply don't risk it. 

Check out KS-S16 the 33kg wheel maybe? Yes it's heavy and can't be carried one handed. But it should perform better. I personally hate anything over 25kg and anything that doesn't have one-handed carry handle..

Edited by Funky

19 hours ago, padluka said:

[regarding the V8F] It depends on the version, the latest V8F has a much stronger axle, but I also wouldn't fully trust the pedals for going down curbs hundreds of times. I broke some V8 axles and a V10 pedal (though both from previous versions) and I weigh only a few shy of 80kg.

Going up curbs should generally be fine. I used to jump curbs down, but now I walk them down with one foot on the pedal and the other foot on the curb, no hands involved, and it's not even a full stop.

Edited by Mono

10 minutes ago, Mono said:

It depends on the version, the latest V8F has a much stronger axle, but I also wouldn't fully trust the pedals for going down curbs hundreds of times. I broke some V8 axles and a V10 pedal (though both from previous versions) and I weigh only 80kg. Going up curbs should generally be fine. I used to jump curbs down, but now I walk them down with one foot on the pedal and the other foot on the curb, no hands involved, and it's not even a full stop.

We where talking about ks18xl. Which he was looking to buy. If V8 has the 17mm axle, then it's same thickness as 18xl. Doh 18xl has those holes going true axle..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, padluka said:

Hi!

Just learned to ride EUC on used V8F(mileage is close to 300km). I'm heavy. 115kg without gear, and up to 125kg with the gear. You can recommend me losing some weight and I plan to, but even after that it will be not less than 100kg with gear.

I definitely want something more powerful and with more range than V8F. Currently I commute from suburbs to center of Lisbon using train(2km home to train, 4km train to office). So 12km per day. And I want to exclude the train part and go 20km one way and preferrably without charging in the middle. On V8F I'm getting range of ~20km, so I need to bring charger with me to exclude train.

I mostly use bike paths, local small roads(speed limit of 30kph) and sidewalk along big streets. I do not intend to go offroading on EUC and do not intend to ride faster than 35kph. The surface it mostly good, but there are some curbs that I jump off/ride up. And there are some cobblestone and portuguese sidewalks, which are not paved with asphalt, but with small stones which are pretty smooth, but far from perfect. There are some stairs and I live on the second floor withour elevator, so would like the wheel to be on the lighter side(up to 30kg)

I had no chance to ride suspension EUC, but do not think the complexity and maintenance is worth it in my case.

The wheel I mostly think of is ks-18xl. But maybe I should consider other options?

Do you plan to ride in rain?    How about seated riding?  The V8F and 18XL are not so easy to fit at seat onto...

Please explain this sentence to me "2km home to train, 4km train to office). So 12km per day. And I want to exclude the train part and go 20km "  Is the train part 8 km ?  Is it 40 km in all each day?

Posted (edited)

Currently I commute on V8F and train.

Home to train 2km, after that train(don't know how far it goes in km), after that another 4km from train to office. And backwards in the evening - making it 12km total per day.

If I'll exclude train - the route from home to office will be 20km. And another 20km home in the evening - making it 40km for the day.

I do not plan to ride in rain - it's extremely slippery on portuguese "calçada". Even on foot:)  But I also can't always predict the weather, so probably - sometimes I will ride it in rain(not through puddles though).

Seated riding - haven't tried yet. Currently I can squat pretty deep on my V8F while riding(close to touching handle with my ass).

If jumping off curbs is risky on 18XL, maybe V11 be better choice? It has enough range and suspension.

Edited by padluka

OK. then you'll have to learn seated riding but if you can already now kneel down so much that you touch the wheel with your rear, and without crashing, then you're well on your way.   A V11 is also a good option, but it has the same limitation as 18XL, max weight 120 Kg.  On the other hand, as far as I know, it is reasonably well protected against water - if you should be exposed to rain anyway.  If it wasn't just for water protection, I would suggest a Begode RS19 (if you can find a new one for sale, they are no longer made) It can handle up to a maximum weight of 140 Kg, and has (I would think) the best riding characteristics (well... is a bit influenced by the fact that I myself have such a wheel). Unfortunately, it is not particularly well protected against water.

17 minutes ago, padluka said:

I do not strictly believe in this weight ratings. Won't the suspension lower the stress to the axle?

i think yes, with the limitation that if the weight makes the suspension buttoms out when hitting a bump, it can be worse since the suspension system is not designed to handle this forces on a regular basis.

49 minutes ago, padluka said:

I do not strictly believe in this weight ratings. Won't the suspension lower the stress to the axle?

It does for sure and by a lot.

I wonder whether I have ever seen a broken axle on a suspension wheel, I actually can't remember it.

Edited by Mono

28 minutes ago, varamontelo said:

V9, 19 kg, 49 kms, 49 km/h, lockable suspension by key, 3000 wh, reversible scratch or spike pedals, 1500 euros, bluetooth remote start control, integrated heating. :D

Never have I asked for 19kg or 3000wh or 1500 euros. I just want hassle free wheel that I can jump curbs(up to 10cm), that can go 40km on one charge(any 1500wh should do) and that will support my weight. 

I do not believe that I and Funky are the only two EUC riders who are heavier than 120kg.

1 hour ago, varamontelo said:

V9, 19 kg, 49 kms, 49 km/h, lockable suspension by key, 3000 wh, reversible scratch or spike pedals, 1500 euros, bluetooth remote start control, integrated heating. :D

Too many Nein's..

Dj4XlAYW0AARI2g.jpg\

It should have 2999Wh and be 1999$, motor rating at 999W, but in reality it would feel like 1999W motor. Otherwise - yes please? I would buy that instantly. Not because of speed, range, battery size.. But because of the 19kg weight. :D 

Edited by Funky

You can ride any wheel you f***ing want. I weigh pretty much exactly the same you do and I ride them all. I have commuted to work on an MTen4 and ride or have regularly ridden V5F, 14D, 16S, V8, V10, 18XL, MTen3, MTen4, RS, S18, V11, V10F, EX, T2, ACM2. Of these the only the MTen3 I would not recommend as they get flat tires very easily when heavy rider use them out in the wild. My daily winter commuter wheel right now is an extremely beat up S-18. Also, 18xl was my main wheel for a while including some winter and I loved it, it took a ton of abuse, no issues with it whatsoever. 

To be more specific, if you don't care about suspension then you're right that an 18XL would be one of your best options and a very good match for your use case. It would handle your range and speed requirements with easy and is still relatively compact and lightweight for what it does.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, padluka said:

Never have I asked for 19kg or 3000wh or 1500 euros. I just want hassle free wheel that I can jump curbs(up to 10cm), that can go 40km on one charge(any 1500wh should do) and that will support my weight. 

I do not believe that I and Funky are the only two EUC riders who are heavier than 120kg.

It's my bad humor because it doesn't exist, I made up a joke. I thought that was understood, sorry.

No need to be sorry. I understand that this is a joke. But hardly see how it is relevant to my post:)

My requirements look reasonable to me:)

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

You can ride any wheel you f***ing want. I weigh pretty much exactly the same you do and I ride them all. I have commuted to work on an MTen4 and ride or have regularly ridden V5F, 14D, 16S, V8, V10, 18XL, MTen3, MTen4, RS, S18, V11, V10F, EX, T2, ACM2. Of these the only the MTen3 I would not recommend as they get flat tires very easily when heavy rider use them out in the wild. My daily winter commuter wheel right now is an extremely beat up S-18. Also, 18xl was my main wheel for a while including some winter and I loved it, it took a ton of abuse, no issues with it whatsoever. 

How many of them you broke?:)

• Haha 2