ex30 glitch

I think I have an issue with my ex30.  It won't power on. I was three miles into a ride when I noticed an issue with my tire.

I found a stopping point and then lifted it up.  It spun up to 73.8mph and then stopped balancing.  Normal, right?  I then laid it on its side, the display was still powered on.

I checked the tire and then determined I need to ride back to my truck to troubleshoot the tire.  I raised it back up to power it off and then power it back on to get it to balance, but the display was already off.

I couldn't power it back on.  Held the power button down, double tapped it. Tapped it repeatedly.   Nothing.   Called an uber to get a ride back to my truck.

Once I got back home, I took it apart and unplugged the batteries.  They all read 65v.  Waited about 15 minutes and then reconnected the batteries.  No dice.  Still won't power on.

Probably just needs a system board swap.  Any ideas outside of that?

• Sad 2

When you try to spin the wheel with hand (while euc is on it's side) does the motor/wheel have like a "braking" effect? Resistance to it? Compared to normal spinning, before it all happened?

If yes - dead board.. Contact seller/warranty - if you still have one.

Edited by Funky

What firmware version were you on?  How old is the wheel?  Firmware dated over the summer had a bug that was fixed around September.  The latest version from a week ago added field weakening to the Ex30.  Were you on a firmware from last summer?

1. Depending on your firmware, there was an issue with Extremes, EX30, Commander Mini, and possibly others, where using the lift switch function could kill the controller. This should be covered under warranty and dealt with through the retailer. 

2. I noticed on my EX30, that the LCD board containing the power button flexes with the external cover.  This makes the power button not engage cause it's moving with the flexing board. Does your EX30 power on with the cover removed?  

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I forgot to check this post after I made it.  The board was replaced and my wheel is back up and running.  Thank you for your responses.   

I haven't upgraded the firmware since race mode was released on the production firmware.  So sometime in June July, was the firmware on the previous board.   I don't use the lift switch.  never had a need to do so.  I just turn it off when I need to pick it up or something.   

Ewheels sent the replacement control board in less than a week.  I updated to latest firmware, Jan 2024.  Did about 30 miles on it.  No issues, except my tire.

Tire keeps getting unbalanced.  Gets big in one area.  I deflate it and then massage it all around and reinflate it to around 30psi.  Then it is round again.  Not sure what that is about, but its ok now.