MTEN4 speed wobbles

Hello, new EUC rider, 175 lbs. I just got MTEN4 and have tire pressure set to 44PSI, get small speed wobbles at about 14MPH and bigger speed wobbles when braking at around 12-14MPH.

Got fairing side plates on order so I can make power pads, any other suggestions?

Thanks

• Like 2

Hi, welcome to the forum. New riders experience wobbles. Even experienced riders get wobbles.

Little wheels are prone to wobbles. Take it easy, get some miles under your belt. Maybe run a little less tire pressure.

Best,

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, zigro said:

Got fairing side plates on order so I can make power pads, any other suggestions?

I wouldn't bother with power pads - wheels that small don't really need 'em... and you risk overpowering the wheel much more easily if you lean too hard into them. From the reviews I read when that machine came out it does have quite a squirrely / wobbly tire with a unique ride-feel. I suspect that will just take some time to get used to.

Edited by Cerbera

@zigro Welcome to eucs! I have an menten 4 that I regularly ride. As OFRs mentioned lower your tire pressure. I think mine is around 30. That’s just my preference, but it will help with squirrliness. That being said this wheel is extremely dexterous and takes little effort to maneuver it. Get more riding time in on it and the wobbles will go away. Learn to carve. If you have room where you’re riding you can start carving to help stop any wobbles. Plus it’s fun as hell on that wheel. While @Cerbera is correct about needing pads on this wheel I have some on mine and I love it. You do have to be careful not to over torque your wheel though. I’ve had too many close calls with being bounced off of my pedals while riding to go padless anymore. You can also jump this little wheel with them on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellkitten said:

is correct about needing pads on this wheel I have some on mine and I love it.

No, I was suggesting the opposite of that; that pads are not necessary on such a small, torquey wheel. But, not owning one myself, I happily defer to owners' actual experience, so will have to revise that advice accordingly ! :) I remain convinced we don't need them to impart more power / authority to the wheel, but I hadn't considered that they might help more with stability and jumping etc

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

No, I was suggesting the opposite of that; that pads are not necessary on such a small, torquey wheel. But, not owning one myself, I happily defer to owners' actual experience, so will have to revise that advise accordingly ! :)

🤣 I actually knew what you meant! It was my garbled reply that was the issue.
I like Kai pads on mine mostly to keep me planted on the pedals without it having suspension and hopping over obstacles. definitely not needed in the torque department……

• Like 1

Cool thanks for the comments. It sounds funny, or maybe I just don’t have enough EUC experience, but I experienced less wobbles when I aired it up from 30 to 44. I guess I’ll have to play more with tire pressures.

I’m thinking about trying to make it a few inches taller with yoga blocks when I make pads. I think having more leg contact will make it more stable??

4 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

Stability and mten4 are two words that don’t go together. Also the words unicycle and stability.

Also stability and oldness. And even worse oldness and unicycle. 

But that doesn't stop oldies feeling alive. :efee6b18f3:

The mten4 is a wobbly wheel by nature, but you should be able to ride its full power without any wobbles with enough skill. 44 psi is too high. I ride mine 30-35psi. I do have pads on my mten4 but I never use the front ones. I only use the rear ones to brake and I have toe pieces to keep my feet from falling off when hitting bumps

• Thanks 1

I bought my wife an A2 recently and new to EUCs, had the tire pressure at 30psi when I started.  I am 220lbs and my wife is 98lbs.  I lowered the PSI to 20psi and it feels so much better.  Not as bumpy and the wobbles are much less.  Not sure if it's a proven fact but I have noticed I have much more control when my feet are as far out on the pedals and not close to the body.  I started getting wobbles when my heels were too close to the body.  Was cruising along at about 16mph and it started doing the funky chicken under me.  Rode it out (No idea how I accomplished it as it was pretty out of control) and learned not to lean too much into it compared to my other wheels.  Love it though and may pick up another to have fun with during lunch at work and around the house.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bigkidneys said:

I bought my wife an A2 recently and new to EUCs, had the tire pressure at 30psi when I started.  I am 220lbs and my wife is 98lbs.  I lowered the PSI to 20psi and it feels so much better.  Not as bumpy and the wobbles are much less.  Not sure if it's a proven fact but I have noticed I have much more control when my feet are as far out on the pedals and not close to the body.  I started getting wobbles when my heels were too close to the body.  Was cruising along at about 16mph and it started doing the funky chicken under me.  Rode it out (No idea how I accomplished it as it was pretty out of control) and learned not to lean too much into it compared to my other wheels.  Love it though and may pick up another to have fun with during lunch at work and around the house.

The lower you go, I would be more worried of the tire bead unseating mid ride. 20 is probably the lowest I would be willing to go, but that sketches me out. I forget what the A2 tire is rated for

• Like 1

I would probably move it up to 25psi since it's my wife riding it.  No crazy jumping or anything.  Just cruising the streets looking for trouble to get into :lol:  I've gotten numerous looks and questions from my neighborhood about it.  Trying to start and EUC gang in my neighborhood lol. 

Edited by Bigkidneys
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've only got an Mten3 but the trick is to have your shoes tight up against the body. The small diameter is otherwise too twitchy.

If your ankles hurt then put a bit of padding there. 

Tire pressure has changed the riding characteristics on all my wheels except the Mten3. It seems that whatever pressure I ride it remains squirrely. Even on a flat tire. So I can't recommend trying to adjust the tire pressure alone to solve your problem.

• Like 1