Used V8F for beginner?

Hi,

I am interested in getting my first EUC and want opinions on this used V8F for sale.

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/for/d/albuquerque-inmotion-v8f-electric/7692869115.html

Is the amount of wear and battery capacity normal, or should I avoid it? And when viewing a used EUC in person, are there any red flags to look out for that may not be obvious to a beginner?

The alternative option I'm considering is buying a new V5 or V5F if I'm unable to find a used EUC. I'm wanting to start on something cheaper while I learn and upgrade later if needed. 

Thank you for the help!

• Like 3

only charges to 90% after 200 miles of use. That’s your red flag right there. Don’t buy! Battery is done for some reason. Always make sure it charges to full voltage.

Could be just calibration but that’s not worth the risk. And you really don’t need power pads on a V8.

V8 is a great first wheel and useful even later when you upgrade. It’s lightweight and reliable. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Hi @igneous,

Don't know how the second hand market is in your area, but regarding @Marty Backe's statement here 

I don't dare to imagine his thoughts about a used V8F for $600... !)

PS.: besides only 90% max charge, which is as @UniVehje already wrote a deal breaker for _every_ wheel!

The used market in the States is brutal. I had to sell my Monster Pro for $1000, and that was over a year ago. But I guess if you live where there aren't any used wheels then obviously supply and demand will dictate prices. There's way too much supply here :(

Hi @igneous and welcome. Scammers love to use craigslist. Like everybody said, avoid it because it doesn't charge to 100%. Try not to think of your learner wheel as a throwaway wheel, rather like a wheel for small trips and portability. Also, V8F is way better for learning because it's 16" so balancing is easier and more natural. 14" wheels can be squirreley for learning on depending on your height and weight.

The other great thing about saving up for the V8F is that if you buy it new it will still have a high resell value if you want to upgrade later. So you could easily get your extra $500 spent back if you want to let it go.

Edited by iwantmymtv
one more thing
  • Like 3

Thank you for the replies! I haven't been able to find other used beginner wheels in my area, so it sounds like I should buy new. I'm looking at two websites, one has the V8F (myinmotion) and the other has the V8S (inmotionworld), and with sales and discount codes they are about the same price. Does the larger battery on the V8S make a noticeable improvement? I like the side LED lights on the V8F, but it looks like the V8S on the inmotionworld website doesn't have them.

6 hours ago, iwantmymtv said:

Try not to think of your learner wheel as a throwaway wheel, rather like a wheel for small trips and portability. Also, V8F is way better for learning because it's 16" so balancing is easier and more natural. 14" wheels can be squirreley for learning on depending on your height and weight.

I'm about 5' 5" 125 lbs. Once I get comfortable with the wheel, I want to use it to commute to school about a mile each way, on inclined roads with some bumpy/uneven pavement.

The V8S does have the side LEDs.  I never take the cover off mine so they aren't of any value to me.

I learned on V8S.  It's very nimble and has plenty of power but tops out at about 21mph.  It handles hills and bumpy surfaces fine with my 185lbs weight.  Over 200 miles in and it still charges to 100%.

If the EUC bug bites you...  expect to want to upgrade it sooner than later.  Not a comment on the wheel as it's a great wheel to learn to ride with.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, igneous said:

Thank you for the replies! I haven't been able to find other used beginner wheels in my area, so it sounds like I should buy new. I'm looking at two websites, one has the V8F (myinmotion) and the other has the V8S (inmotionworld), and with sales and discount codes they are about the same price. Does the larger battery on the V8S make a noticeable improvement? I like the side LED lights on the V8F, but it looks like the V8S on the inmotionworld website doesn't have them.

Both have side lights but I wouldn't care much about them. You will need front light much more if you ride in the dark. New wheels (mostly) don't use side lights anymore.

Bigger battery is always better. I think they have the same number of cells but one uses different brand. Get the later model. It's a great wheel to train on. When you need more speed and power, it'll come with a price, weight and dollars. For small commuting V8 is very suitable. You will soon hit the top speed and will want more. V8 can function as a lighter wheel after you upgrade. Or you might just go ahead and get something faster straight away. Depending on your need. Smaller wheel is easier to store at school. Can fit in a locker easier etc. So maybe just get a faster one for joy riding if you get the bug and keep the V8 for commuting to school. For a mile long commute you don't need more. No worries about inclines either. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...