EUC World: 1 bug & 1 feature request

HEC

1. There is one minor yet annoying bug still present in the EUC World app since the change was made to announcements of distance from whole Km only to Km and hundreds of metres several versions ago. It seems that algorithm first splits whole amount of Km and then rounds the remaining amount of meters to 100s. Which regularly results in distances being reported as x Km and 1000 m instead of x+1 Km. Thus to correct this, the distance value should be rounded first to 100 m / 0,1 Km and only after that split up.

2. And for the feature request: Under Sounds & speech configuration option in addition to "Message only in motion" it would be a great help to have additional settings to specify the minimum speed to consider the wheel as "in motion". The reason being that when walking with the wheel around while trolley-ing it manually, it's not really necessary or perhaps it's even annoying to receive those messages. So being able to set the threshold to around 7 to 9 Km/h would eliminate those.

Thank you @Seba !

Edited by HEC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HEC said:

2. And for the feature request: Under Sounds & speech configuration option in addition to "Message only in motion" it would be a great help to have additional settings to specify the minimum speed to consider the wheel as "in motion". The reason being that when walking with the wheel around while trolley-ing it manually, it's not really necessary or perhaps it's even annoying to receive those messages. So being able to set the threshold to around 7 to 9 Km/h would eliminate those.

Thank you!

Yeah, I know what you mean, although sometimes I quite like having my stats read to me while I am going around in shops and whatnot. I've got mine set up so a single tap on the screen shuts her up if she ever starts when I am trying to talk to someone. Likewise, a double-tap starts a report at any time I do want one. But yes, I agree if we could specify a threshold under which messages don't happen that would be extra useful / flexible.

Ultimately I would like a 2-stage report system. The 'full report' would issue all the items on the list we have selected, in the order we specified ideally, but I'd like to be able to summon a short-form announcement too, for example only to tell me what the damn wind is up to at any given moment !

While I am here I would also like to know what reference EUCW is using to determine your direction relative to the wind, especially when stationary !

I am always being told that wind is pushing me from the right (for example), when it seems to be coming from other directions ! Is it is using the current forward direction of a) the phone ? or b) the wheel ?, which are sometimes different, especially when you have the wheel leaned up somewhere and are wandering around close by, stretching your legs or whatever... in those cases I find which direction it thinks the wind is coming from is largely arbitrary...

On 12/7/2023 at 7:24 AM, Cerbera said:

Is it is using the current forward direction of a) the phone ? or b) the wheel ?

I'm pretty sure that the app is using the compass in the mobile phone as I'm not aware of any wheels actually having compass built in. And indeed depending on where / how you carry the phone, the direction will vary. Perhaps an option in the app to specify the position and direction of the phone while riding would address this issue. I for example carry the phone in belt pouch sideways with screen facing me / back facing the direction of the riding, tilted about 15 degrees to the right. While phone's accelerometer should be able to establish both the actual rotational position as well as relative position in regads to the (main) direction of the movement, the question is if or how precisely is the EUC World app using it (if at all).

Edited by HEC
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 5:29 AM, HEC said:

1. There is one minor yet annoying bug still present in the EUC World app since the change was made to announcements of distance from whole Km only to Km and hundreds of metres several versions ago. It seems that algorithm first splits whole amount of Km and then rounds the remaining amount of meters to 100s. Which regularly results in distances being reported as x Km and 1000 m instead of x+1 Km. Thus to correct this, the distance value should be rounded first to 100 m / 0,1 Km and only after that split up.

In general, upcoming EUC World update will bring improved voice messaging, but thanks for reporting this issue. I'll double check if this problem has been resolved too.

Adding customizable speed threshould would unnecessarily complicate already complicated speech & sound settings. I agree however that currently used threshold is too low. I will increase it to 10 km/h. This should be good value that allows to differentiate between riding the wheel and walking with wheel.

Ultimately I would like a 2-stage report system. The 'full report' would issue all the items on the list we have selected, in the order we specified ideally, but I'd like to be able to summon a short-form announcement too, for example only to tell me what the damn wind is up to at any given moment !

You can already have a weather report to be issued with quick action - screen tap, smartwatch button or FLIC button press etc.

While I am here I would also like to know what reference EUCW is using to determine your direction relative to the wind, especially when stationary !

EUC World uses GPS bearing/direction, which is available only when speed is non zero. Because of this, when stationary, wind analysis is inhibited. Of course sometimes GPS may report non zero speed even when stationary, but this information should be disregarded. Not every smartphone is equipped with compass, and even if there's compass on board, it may give wrong readings. That's why EUC World is using GPS bearing/direction, which - when you're moving - gives best and accurate results. Especially that it's expressed as geographic, not magnetic direction.

I am always being told that wind is pushing me from the right (for example), when it seems to be coming from other directions !

EUC World is using forecast data that may not be perfectly accurate. Wind direction may locally change depending on terrain type, slope, nearby buildings, hills etc. Also you may feel so-called apparent wind, which will be different from real wind that you could feel when not in movement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the change was made to announcements of distance from whole Km only to Km and hundreds of metres several versions ago

As a clarification - nothing has changed here :) It always worked in following way - if the distance is smaller than 1 km, it will be reported with 50 meters accuracy. If the distance is less than 10 km, it will be reported as kilometers and hundreds of meters. If the distance is equal or greater than 10 km, it will be reported as whole kilometers only. Of course this also applies to imperial units, where miles and yards are used instead of kilometers and meters.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 2:34 PM, Seba said:

As a clarification - nothing has changed here :) It always worked in following way - if the distance is smaller than 1 km, it will be reported with 50 meters accuracy. If the distance is less than 10 km, it will be reported as kilometers and hundreds of meters. If the distance is equal or greater than 10 km, it will be reported as whole kilometers only. Of course this also applies to imperial units, where miles and yards are used instead of kilometers and meters.

Originally, long time ago, the lowest "resolution" for voice reported distance was 1 Km, independent of distance ridden. Since the update a way back to provide more granular distance information I regularly hear messages like " distance 4 Km 1000 m" (instead of 5 Km), thus the above report about likely cause of this behaviour, i.e. rounding after instead of prior splitting of the distance to Km an meters. 

It's not a major issue, just annoying really and it took me several months to even bother to report it. 

Thank you @Seba for continuous improvements to your great app. The reccomend increase of threshold to 10 Km/h for detection of "riding" should be sufficient (unless some plans to regularly to jog alongside their EUC) and should also address the "phantom" movement reports triggered by GPS (while mobile phone is static) after starting the app but prior connecting to the wheel, which I experience in about 20 to 25% of cases after starting the app.

Edited by HEC