Knobby or Street?

Lillian

Street tire is much nicer for street riding. New wheels come with knobby tires only because it looks better in pictures. I would only choose knobby for actual off roading or gravel riding. Stability depends on many things, but it’s easier to achieve with street tire. Knobby is always a compromise between grip on loose surfaces and ride feel. There’s a reason tires aren’t knobby unless needed. But of course it’s a matter of preference and some riders will come here to say they prefer knobby in New York streets. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Like the previous posters said.. Also to add some (personal opinion) detail: Off-road tires knobs twist / wiggle a bit between the ground and the EUC. This smoothes out the feeling of the ground a bit, making it easier for some to ride fast without wobbles. However I find it reduces dexterity at low speed, and that the disconnection from the ground unpleasant; like doing things blindly, not getting the feedback I want when turning.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

Also if you got knobby which has those "lines" (example CST 186). When you turn you get somewhat scary satiation. Because you are going off middle knobbies to side knobbies. The moment it hops from middle to side is somewhat scary. As you are turning turning turning and suddenly wheel goes way, way to much in turn! As it hops on the side knobbies. But over time you will get used to it..

At least i have heard people talk about that.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the street is rough at times like off-road, then it's a little more complex. 

Then get a street tire that has "some" knobbies. Something like Heidenau K66 tire < I'm using it and i ride only asphalt, brick pathways.

Something that is in middle. Not completely smooth/slick, same time not crazy big knobbies. :) 

You never said that something in middle is an option. :D 

Edited by Funky

Between the knobbies and the street tires are dual sport tires.

I have S22 pro, the original tire was bad especially in tighter turns, due to the flat profile it 'falls' to the side when turning. I changed it to a Michelin City Grip 2 street tire, which is much more predictable in tight turns due to the round street tyre profile and stiff frame.

However, I needed more grip on the trails and changed it to a Shinko SR 241 (which many has recommended), which is a so-called dual sport knobby tire (a round profile and a stiffer frame compared to traditional knobby). It offers good grip on the trails! In tighter turns it 'falls' on it's side, but much more predictably (than soft flat knobby) and the rider learns to compensate it. It is not that sharp on the corners like the street tyre, but It is easier to corner at higher speeds (turning requires less rider input)  It is also less prone to train tracking and not so wobble sensitive that street tyre.

In my opinion, Shinko SR241 is the best compromise for a EUC that is not only used on paved roads. It also has a sister tire SR244 with larger knobbies. I haven't tried 244 myself.

Edited by okvp