Finger Bell

Dose anyone know of a way to get these finger bells:
510EklC4fZL._AC_SL1002_.jpg

They're called "Finger Bells" and were made by Rockbros and use to be relatively easy to get on AliExpress and things but seem to have completely vanished in recent years.

While there are a few listings on Amazon they are all listed as "Currently out of stock". There are also a few on DHGate, and I've tried to order from them on several occasions but every time, after a month or so, they've said the item isn't available and have refunded me (but still seem to keep the listings up).

I know there are several simular-ish models such as the "Runbell":
Runbell - handheld running bell - Japanese quality brass bell delivers a  harmonic ring to warn others of your approach. Useful for trail running,  running stroller, unicycle, classroom (for her gold) : Amazon.co.uk: Sports  & Outdoors

And Rockbros handlebar mount version of the finger bell:
650918114_max.jpg

And the PowerSlide bell:
powerslide-skate-finger-bell_709x.jpg?v=1626612810

But I have tried all of these (and several others) and none have been nearly as good as the original "Finger bell".

I bought and subsequently lost several of the original bell and am now down to my final 2 copies of those original bells and would very much like to get more incase I loose these final two.

Note the spring mechanism does eventually ware out on these bells and you need to pull them out and bend them back into shape when the bell tone gets quieter, and I've even scavenged parts from the new handlebar mount bels to reinvigorate mine but if you loose those finger pieces there seems to be no way to replace them. Does anyone know of anywhere these original Finger Bells can be obtained from?

If you can't find those original ones youve owned I would suggest this. I've been using for the past year and it's great. It fits over my index finger perfectly and is super loud. 10/10 would recommend 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VRZ4T7W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Edited by Clem604

1 hour ago, Clem604 said:

If you can't find those original ones youve owned I would suggest this. I've been using for the past year and it's great. It fits over my index finger perfectly and is super loud. 10/10 would recommend 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VRZ4T7W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks @Clem604. Unfortunately they won't ship to me in Australia, but I have to say they seem very similar to the handlebar Rockbros bell that is available.

The Rockbros bell is also very loud (louder than any others I've tried), the issue with it is that you really have to clench your fist to get it to grip onto you finger. The thing that is nice with the "finger bell" design is that your next finger snugs into that second loop making it very easy to hold loosely in you hand and ping it with just you fingertips.

As I say, I've tried many other designs and while they all work none have been as good as that one, but I just can't seem to find it anymore: 😔

Edit: For anyone interested here is a listing on AliExpress of the bell Clem is suggesting that will ship around the world:
Greallthy Classic Brass Bicycle Bell

One thing interesting in the video associated with that listing is that it is mounted along side the Rockbros bell and right at the end it seems the rider hits the other (Rockbros) bell so you can hear how the chimes compare. Indeed, both are very clear!

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hansolo said:

Yeah, I've tried those as well.

Two issues with them. Firstly they just aren't really as clear or loud as the dome shaped bell, and secondly they don't have that second notch for your other finger meaning you have to grip it firmly like the other handlebar mount bells. It's also very easy for that bar to touch the fabric of you glove or whatever and deaden the sound. They do work, but their just not as good.
(they're also nowhere near 90dB in amplitude)

Edited by Slartibartfast

https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/electra-solid-color-twister-bike-bell-383367-1.htm
I’ve switched to one like this. Mine has the twisting part on the top of the bell on mine, a bit different then the one I linked.
I went through a bunch of bell hammers. Mind you they were mostly inexpensive ones. I mount it on my backpack strap, not my finger. It’s a super pleasant sound and way more durable than the domed bell ones I’ve had.

Edited by Hellkitten

I'd be wary of this contraption.

I suspect that the chance that such a big piece of metal breaks your finger during a faceplant is not negligible.

Mounting a bell on a wrist is probably a much better idea.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

suspect that the chance that such a big piece of metal breaks your finger during a faceplant is not negligible.

Nah - I've fallen off mine a few times wearing my big metal finger bell, and it doesn't break your fingers because (mine at least) is free to rotate around the finger, and I have removed the screw which would hold it fast, so in practicality it is held on normally just via plastic tension and just falls off in a crash, or rotates away from the ground contact areas.

53 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

I'd be wary of this contraption.

I suspect that the chance that such a big piece of metal breaks your finger during a faceplant is not negligible.

Mounting a bell on a wrist is probably a much better idea.

The bell is on top of the finger with just the Velcro strap where your hand would land. The moulded plastic sits between first two fingers keeping it in that orientation. When I came off hands just slid on the glove sliders - bell not affected.

The reason I was thinking of mounting it to the handle was so I don’t lose yet another one!

Edited by Stevebee

1 hour ago, Stevebee said:

I used this one. Unfortunately have lost it so will have to get another. Or I might add a bike bell to the handle at the front of the Sherman S and just crouch to ring it. At least I won’t lose it.

https://www.rbventuresuk.com/product-page/rb-finger-dinger

That does actually look pretty good: 👍

Seems it has a ledge to rest your second finger against to keep it from slipping around. I might give it a go, though $67.50 AUD (including shipping) is a surprising amount to pay for a bell!

Those finger bells I use to get were like 5 USD or something back in the day.

Edited by Slartibartfast

It does have a moulded plastic it that sits between the fingers keeping it in place. The adjustable Velcro means it fits bare fingers or over gloves really well. Shame about the postage for you but I’m in the UK so it’s ok

Google BBB-15 Loud and Clear, there's no better bell, it comes with rubber strap so easy to mount, it's loud and clear (heh!), has a bell mechanism that doesn't move around easy to use.

I considered something like this then thought I'd probably break by fingers. It's amazing how often my wrist / palm guards have come into play. My new idea is a squeaky toy - just squeeze it. In an off it might squeak a bit but won't do any damage. The only down side I can see is getting chased by dogs :laughbounce2:

Edited by Uras

The only thing on the palm side of the hand is the Velcro strap which doesn’t stick out. It’s not like a bell designed for a bike where the hard plastic or metal part of the attachment method is where you put your finger. Would be very wary of using that method too.

On 10/19/2023 at 5:12 PM, Stevebee said:

The only thing on the palm side of the hand is the Velcro strap which doesn’t stick out. It’s not like a bell designed for a bike where the hard plastic or metal part of the attachment method is where you put your finger. Would be very wary of using that method too.

I don't understand how or why this is helpful - unless the velcro is designed to give way during an off? My concern is the bell acting as a lever on my finger/s in the case of an off. I imagine the velcro would have more give than hard plastic, so it wouldn't be as bad maybe? If I had to use something like that, I'd want something like a clip under tension, not a full closure. Imagine something that you could just pull off your finger - just pluck it off, snatch it; that could work. Or being held on by sticky tape (not strong stuff), so that the tape would give way before your finger/s. You might still get sore finger/s in an off before the tape gives way?

For example, I use a home made tether on my wheel. I use the smallest cable tie to connect one end of it. It has stopped the wheel several times, mostly at low speeds. It has broken once during an off; obviously a bit more force. Even if the cable tie breaks the tether has already done it's job to some degree.

Edited by Uras

18 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Stop overthinking so much, buy a BBB-15 Loud and Clear and thank me later. 😂

Oh, I'm good thankyou. I only mention the danger for the sake of anyone else who might be considering this and not be aware - that's a beauty of forums. I'm happy with the squeaky toy :)

Edited by Uras