Battery testing ideas, thoughts

UKJ

Been a long time have

not been here, doing other things.

Have kingsong 14c from 2016.

Have questions please for the many well informed here.

As this is their very first unit does it have cell balancing bms?

I build and fly ehelis and always balance lipo cells and smart charger gives info.

Can one open battery pack and test cells one by one?

I used to ride off road first

years as like my real peddle uni

but now because bent axle and motherboard kindly replaced am very easy on It, no more curb jumping or high speeds!

SO random, OR NOT, that read of poor Martys wheel full elec shut down and bone breakage that not wanting same at 63 years of great life!

I am well aware my euni and l ion

batts are very old but still

seems to have capicity using charge doctor as guide. 

HOW to test batterys for weak cell and overall health PLEASE!

I am way to cash strapped to even consider new euc or bat packs so any and all ideas, thoughts more than welcome!

As with my heli lipos can

by removing shrink wrap

access cells to measure volts before and after a ride and charge?

I may have made mistake of using lipo understanding and only charge to 80% using charger to hopefully balance about every 5 charges.

Seems to make sence now to let on

charge green led for a few hours after charges? 
Anyway,

I do many other sports and simply not afford an euc craah

and injury.

I do find myself on the

tennis court doing reverse 8s and idle patterns way below run Off speed, but do ride a slow mile to

get there, sure do not want rough riad rash!

Thank you for your time!

ukj

Just read battery testing

thread and bat university, learned loads.

Seems sad that a smart charger via b m s can

not be set to 80% AND balance, or if this is not possible, charge full, balance and discharge back to 80%, am

I missing something?

ukj

1 hour ago, UKJ said:

As this is their very first unit does it have cell balancing bms?

These Kingsong BMS have passive top balancing as described here 

1 hour ago, UKJ said:

I build and fly ehelis and always balance lipo cells and smart charger gives info.

Neither bms nor charger is this smart for this wheel...

1 hour ago, UKJ said:

Can one open battery pack and test cells one by one?

Yes. But you should seal them afterwards again properly.

1 hour ago, UKJ said:

seems to have capicity using charge doctor as guide. 

How much? The charge to around 67.2V?

1 hour ago, UKJ said:

HOW to test batterys for weak cell and overall health PLEASE!

Can you recprd the charge with the charge doctor?

Signs for weak/bad cells:

- charging current stops abruptly

- charge end voltage is (much) lower as charger no load voltage

- battery voltage decreases "strongly" directly after a charge/during the next days

- charge doctor reported charged capacity is much lower than expected capacity (there is a nice table of !settled! voltage vs capacity in 

1 hour ago, UKJ said:

Anyway,

I do many other sports and simply not afford an euc craah

and injury.

Avoid (stronger) accelerations and (higher) speeds until you know your batteries are ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you've got an older pack (in good health) you can avoid some problems by not discharging it too deep. Like if you discharge only to 50-60% you have more power in case you need it suddenly to keep you upright. Power = safety.

Set a max speed below the wheel's max speed. 

I don't know what the pack looks like so I don't know if it's easy to open. On an inmotion v8 it's super easy. On a v8, you can even leave the heatshrink off because there's a very solid battery case that goes over it.

You can solder on balancing wires that you can access outside the pack. If you have a 4s balance charger for example you can attach 4 x 4s balance leads to the battery and balance it in 4 stages. If your charger can balance at 80% then you can use that.

Here's the thing though. You don't really need a perfect balanced pack. If it's off by 0.03v or something small, that could take a long time to balance out with a small balancing current. And it's not even necessary. Check for larger imbalances and balance those out with a high amp 1s single cell charger instead. If you use like 24awg balance leads you could do 2A current no problem, maybe even 3A under supervision.

By not discharging the pack deep, the small imbalances won't cause that much of a problem.

If you notice that some cell groups discharge a bit faster than the others, you keep an eye on those every few months and top them up. It's easy with a couple 1s 3A single cell chargers. There are some super cheap usb ones. Just make sure they run on separate power supplies if you use them at the same time, or you will short the pack.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the inmotion V12HT, a message appears when an overvoltage causes a cell to click. When measuring batteries there is always balance on the right and left. Dead or not.
Can the message be deleted?

You will answer you have to measure each cell. But if we don't open the wheel, is the diagnosis of the (euc world) application still reliable?

Edited by varamontelo