Quick Question

So I just watched a Wrong Way video about why he doesn't ride Begode wheels because they don't have a smart BMS but I don't see that as being really necessary as long as you monitor the voltage level of each pack. Am I right in thinking this or should I just shell out the extra $400 for an Extreme instead of a V4 master?

If I had the money sitting here spare and had to choose between Master IV and Extreme, I would go for Extreme, based on its superior suspension geometry and travel, better lighting options, lower CoG / pedal height and integrated grab handles / much superior stock pad setup. I would consider having a decent BMS in the packs reassuring, but I don't consider it essential, and indeed have owned Gotway / Begode wheels without them for about 6 years now and have not had problems because of it.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1

Bms can stop working and that can lead to fire. It's not usually a problem within the first years but as the wheel ages, how do you really know it's working? Charging to 100% is good but it doesn't guarantee against fires.

I wouldn't hesitate to take ownership of an old "dumb" wheel but I'd examine the pack.

A smart bms is nice to have but you don't really need to check its data more than like once a year. So in a way it's a bit not needed. It's not needed until it's neefed, and then it's REALLY needed.:D

I bet you most people that have it don't even know they have it.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

If I had the money sitting here spare and had to choose between Master IV and Extreme, I would go for Extreme, based on its superior suspension geometry and travel, better lighting options, lower CoG / pedal height and integrated grab handles / much superior stock pad setup. I would consider having a decent BMS in the packs reassuring, but I don't consider it essential, and indeed have owned Gotway / Begode wheels without them for about 6 years now and have not had problems because of it.

Maybe the extreme will drop to the current price the master is by the time I buy it. Probably going to wait until the 2024 releases and get a v2 or v3 Extreme.

All wheels should have Smart BMS, it's super primitive that we have to rely on wheel charging to full as the only safety indicator for these (let's be real) potential fire bombs and it's not like Smart BMS is super expensive unavailable technology.

Regarding Wrong Way he had more complaints about Begode not just Smart BMS, poor build quality, wood screws, bad waterproofing etc., all of those were reasons he wanted to take a break from Begode.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

So I just watched a Wrong Way video about why he doesn't ride Begode wheels because they don't have a smart BMS but I don't see that as being really necessary as long as you monitor the voltage level of each pack. Am I right in thinking this or should I just shell out the extra $400 for an Extreme instead of a V4 master?

Back with the "Quick Question"? 

• Haha 1

My view is that safety, and build quality should always be a manufacturer's top priority. If they aren't, then I look elsewhere. Begode makes some very good wheels, and they are very performant, so they tend to be quite popular.

I've got a family to worry about though. I can't be taking crazy risks, so I stick with the safer choices. I'm talking about individual wheels here rather than companies, as every company has had wheels with issues. Always do your homework with any wheel you want to buy, and just realize that not every wheel was designed with safety as their top priority.

You also have to keep in mind that EUC's are pretty new. You're a pioneer exploring a new frontier, so safety is definitely relative. If you want total safety then stick with an older wheel that has a proven track record, or get a scooter as they are less cutting edge.

I don't want to put words in Adam's (WrongWay) mouth, but I would guess from what I've seen on his videos that his issue with Begode is that they have been slow to respond to safety issues in the past. He has acknowledged that the fire issues haven't really been a problem in the newer wheels. It's just that when the fire issues happened (it wasn't just Begode by the way), the other wheel companies were quicker to respond, which inspires more confidence in the companies.

Edited by skunkmonkey
  • Upvote 1