My favorite thing about EUC's, infinite Skiing 365 days a year!

skunkmonkey

27 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

Congratulations on unlocking your year round lift ticket! ⛷️💨

Thanks! The funny thing is a season pass at Alta is just under $3k. I didn't spend anywhere near that much on my V11, so I feel like I got a great deal!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, skunkmonkey said:

you NEED this sport in your life!

A sport (especially slow, tricky offroad section are a serious core workout - my dislocated vertebra hasnt given me any trouble since I took up riding EUCs) and also an extremely efficient, clean and practical means of transport.

• Like 3

@skunkmonkey Nice. Yeah, the V11 is spec'd pretty nice. I'm awaiting the V11Y upgrade to come out, not sure I will want to upgrade. I recently picked up the V10F and it is just a tad underpowered for my desire. Still a great wheel, but does not compare the the V11.

So, are you saying that we (EUC riders) should be able to use our skills on snowboarding? :D Not so sure about that. I tried it once a long time ago. The skateboard stance does not suit me much, so another reason I like the EUC stance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Circuitmage said:

So, are you saying that we (EUC riders) should be able to use our skills on snowboarding?

Haha if only. Nah, carving just feels a lot like slaloming. It's not close enough to replace my love for skiing, but it does scratch that itch for the 8 months or so that I'm unable to visit the slopes. Sadly I don't think many of my skiing skills helped me to learn to ride an EUC any faster, and I'm sure the reverse is also true.

I saw some girl on YouTube was taught to ride, including self-mounting, within about 45 minutes. It took me about a week to get to that point. Of course I didn't have anyone helping me, but still, it was a little humbling. :)

Edited by skunkmonkey

@skunkmonkey Yeah, I just tried to teach the neighbor kid (I think he's 20 yrs old) how to ride an EUC. I had high hopes he would pick it up fast as he is a one-wheeler. Sad to say, not only did he not "get it" right away, but my KS 18 wheel was too big for him to really wrap his legs around. 

Yes, it took me more than 45 mins as well. I think women have a physical advantage with a lower center of gravity though.

Sometimes I feel like riding an euc is like down hill skiing, especially when I speed up and carve a bit. I found snowboarding difficult and skiing actually easy, not that I’m great but the basics and enjoyment came way earlier with skiing. I think long boarding and eskate is easy to pick up and have taught a few, but no one wants to even touch the euc— it’s far too foreign I think.

365 days a year??? You must live in Florida or California... Because here they don't plow any bike/pedestrian paths in the winter... I sure the hell don't want to ride in the middle of the road with a gas powered vehicle on ice and snow and snow piled side road... 

Edited by MetricUSA

6 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

365 days a year??? You must live in Florida or California

Utah actually. I know, my wife thinks I'm crazy too haha. She's probably right. I'm trying an experiment this year to see if I can ride an EUC every day regardless, rain, sleet, or snow. If I can succeed then I will ditch our 2nd car. I'm not overly optimistic, and I'm allowing myself to take an Uber if it's icy. On the snow days I'd only ride on the sidewalk at lower speeds, and I will be bubble wrapped in body armor.

7 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

365 days a year??? You must live in Florida or California... Because here they don't plow any bike/pedestrian paths in the winter... I sure the hell don't want to ride in the middle of the road with a gas powered vehicle on ice and snow and snow piled side road... 

31 minutes ago, skunkmonkey said:

Utah actually. I know, my wife thinks I'm crazy too haha. She's probably right. I'm trying an experiment this year to see if I can ride an EUC every day regardless, rain, sleet, or snow. If I can succeed then I will ditch our 2nd car. I'm not overly optimistic, and I'm allowing myself to take an Uber if it's icy. On the snow days I'd only ride on the sidewalk at lower speeds, and I will be bubble wrapped in body armor.

All you need is real studded tire and happy ridding.. (I bought second K66 tire and stutted it with ~136 studs. Have now one summer and one winter tire.) Nothing beats ridding true just freshly snowed snow. As you ride true and snow goes over your shoes.. Leaving behind one tire line, followed by pedal height imprint. It looks like there has gone sled with one centered ski. :D 

More or less don't do any sharp turns, try ridding straight and all is fine. Same thing as ridding in summer. Only colder. :D Luckily i have only ~5km commute to work..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1