Samsung cell options: 40T, 50E, 50S, etc

Electric Dreams

11 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I don't think so, think about it that would mean that most wheels are drawing much more current than what the cells they are using are rated for and we would see many problems.

You're worried that a high discharge cell won't be enough for our use-case meanwhile most wheels today use high capacity cells...

I am talking about the lynx and all the new wheels that come with 50s batteries.

This is what baffles me, most scooters,esk8s,e-bikes use high discharge cells.  Eucs and pedelec ebikes use high capacity:P

I think we belong to the first group. Especially now that euc racing is a thing .

12 hours ago, goatman said:

the p42 isnt chinese and the euc makers cant get a guaranteed supply of molicels so they quit using molicel

This is sad.  Most chinese esk8s have molicels https://www.meepoboard.com/products/meepo-hurricane-bamboo

https://tyneeboard.com/products/best-flexible-all-terrain-electric-skateboard-tynee-explorer

11 hours ago, Rawnei said:

It is not relevant because the wheel don't draw that much current from a single cell, so a cell torture test doesn't really tell us anything about our use case.

Another tidbit from that torture test the cells are discharged to 2.8V our wheels don't allow that low either.

If we want real tangible data the test have to be closer to our use case.

It is the same pattern at lower amps. Check the temp at 15amps compared to molicells

https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/threads/cycle-life-tests-of-high-power-density-cylindrical-cells.114473/

12 hours ago, goatman said:

you see the self healing every 50 cycles is more pronounced than the 50S

But all these cells are high capacity. Can you post the link for this diagram?

Edited by dimos15
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, goatman said:

the P42 is a better cold weather cell than the 40T

the 40T likes regen and 10 amps, its a performance cell you can continuously discharge/charge/discharge without suffering cycle life while doing that more than you could in a day.

the p42 likes it hold or cold but not 10 amps, it cant get up to temperature for cycle life, it would rather see 12 amps right away to get its temperature up

the p42 isnt chinese and the euc makers cant get a guaranteed supply of molicels so they quit using molicel

you should want the P45 ;)

if you ride when it isnt always sunny and 75 or warmer you shouldnt get a 40T

you should only want these cells for 4p packs if you ride hard, theyre high performance cells that perform/degrade like crap if theyre not being used  the way theyre designed to be used.

you see the self healing every 50 cycles is more pronounced than the 50S, it would be interesting to see someone do a continuous 10amp discharge/5amp charge/10amp discharge 10x in a row to see if it suffers any cycle life loss

50e50g50scyclecomparison.jpg.564276f9043

This is not self healing. That specific test does a full 4.2-2.8V cycle every 50 cycles. The high energy cell chemsitry has a weird artifact from that which persists.

That test is not really ideal because ES insists on derating cells for cycle life (even though almost noone is putting 1k real cycles on a battery - and if they are life well lived IMO), but it's one of the only sources of data for the 50S cycle life in a low-drain application (and not 5C/25A).

21 hours ago, dimos15 said:

Sure but we got a step in the right direction by using molicells and 40t on some gotway wheels. Why are we going backwards now?

I don't want p45, i want p42 like every other performance electric vehicle.

I want to be able to charge fast and brake harder without overheating lol https://youtu.be/j3BjHuH3QNY?feature=shared&t=2909

The 50S runs hotter than the 50e:P

P45B is a strictly better P42A - it's the newer cell, lol.

50S runs cooler than 50E. It's lower IR, so lower heat dissipation. I don't get the weird obsession with 50E. It's a cheaper, shitter cell than the 50S that EUC makers use because they're cheap bastards and no one was really calling them out on it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Panzer04 said:

P45B is a strictly better P42A - it's the newer cell, lol.

p45b is double the price of p42, lol

20 minutes ago, Panzer04 said:

50S runs cooler than 50E. It's lower IR, so lower heat dissipation.

Jason posted a test which shows the contrary https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/33940-experience-with-50e-vs-40t/?do=findComment&comment=490354

Edited by dimos15

4 minutes ago, dimos15 said:

p45b is double the price of p42, lol

Jason posted a test which shows the contrary https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/33940-experience-with-50e-vs-40t/?do=findComment&comment=490354

Fair enough on price - all else being equal though.

They are doing something wrong in the test. The temperatures don't make any sense. Under the same conditions it's not physically possible the equivalently-functional 50E to be cooler than the 50S - the IR spec on the 50S is half that of 50E. I just noticed it's a pack-level test, so idk how they are measuring the temperature - it would depend a lot on where you put the probe. If it were cell-level it'd be hard to get wrong.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Don't invest too much in that 3rd party lab result for the temps, those lab hands were stupid, attaching the probes in different positions, one on the outside of the foam; you wouldn't believe how much work it took to get that far & this is supposedly an accredited UL lab in Shenzhen :whistling: 

Damn this is crazy..  This test is very nice though because it is done with an euc battery pack. All these single cell tests are more ''inaccurate'' because the cells have different characteristics when you stack them on top of each other in a battery pack.

It would be nice if you can do a similar test under better conditions with high capacity and high discharge cells. I think it will benefit this community a lot and remove a lot of misconceptions. 

19 hours ago, Panzer04 said:

Fair enough on price - all else being equal though.

They are doing something wrong in the test. The temperatures don't make any sense. Under the same conditions it's not physically possible the equivalently-functional 50E to be cooler than the 50S - the IR spec on the 50S is half that of 50E. I just noticed it's a pack-level test, so idk how they are measuring the temperature - it would depend a lot on where you put the probe. If it were cell-level it'd be hard to get wrong.

iR changes with the state of charge and cell temperature depends on a lot of things. The 50s has less resistance(DC IR) than the p42 but it runs hotter https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/32663-inmotion-adventure-a-new-trail-wheel-from-inmotion/page/48/#comment-489438

Edited by dimos15
  • Like 1

If you plot both cells together in a discharge test you should be able to see the difference in IR. The cell that voltage sags more is exhibiting a greater IR at that moment.

So while one cell might start off with less sag maybe it can't sustain it as well as another.

More sag should lead eventually to more heat building up.

I'm not an expert but it sounds plausible to me.

On 11/28/2023 at 3:04 AM, alcatraz said:

If you plot both cells together in a discharge test you should be able to see the difference in IR. The cell that voltage sags more is exhibiting a greater IR at that moment.

So while one cell might start off with less sag maybe it can't sustain it as well as another.

More sag should lead eventually to more heat building up.

I'm not an expert but it sounds plausible to me.

Yes i think that this is how you measure dc resistance..

The molicell p42 has 14.4 mOhms DC resistance while the 50s has 12.6 mOhms according to battery mooch

But at 35A pulse the 50s has higher voltage sag.

You can read more about why this happens here https://www.patreon.com/posts/why-are-cell-2-2-68482553

1.jpg?token-time=1702425600&token-hash=D

Edited by dimos15
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 4:14 PM, dimos15 said:

You are right, i thought after all these years that they changed it but no.. Still call it current..

I still think that they can draw 90-100 battery amps , around 25A per battery .

How is it not relevant? Even from the spec sheets you can see that the samsung 40t completes the same test with 10A higher discharge!

It is obvious that the 40t will have higher cycle life than the 50s at the same amps..

Rawnei already covered a lot of this, but just to add some additional comments:

25A per battery in a 2700WHr pack (36s4p) would be 36*4*3.7*25 = ~13,320 Watts.  There isn't any wheel that's going to continuously output 13,320 watts.  In an 144 cell pack 40Ts are a definite step backwards.  This can be seen clearly in the discharge curves at 20W/30Ws per cell, which is a much more realistic "stress-test" for a wheel with a decent sized pack.

more sag could be the resistance of the internal tag at high discharge rates that makes it hotter

25amp from a battery is useless in euc's but when i was looking for a real 10 amp cell for cycle life your typical 10amp cell was really only a 1c cell 3-5 amps

and also looking for a cell that could discharge then automatically switch to receiving a charge from solar then go back to discharging without suffering losses (like regen) and that was the 30Q and 40T but theyre both prone to self discharging and cant handle cold weather

it makes sense that what i saw as self healing was actually a discharge to 2.8v

if you fully cycle a 40t/30q or nissan leaf battery from 4.2v to 2.5v 2x youll straighten out the discharge carve and rejuvenate the cell

when i was doing those tests and uploading the results nobody knew what to call it.

the molicels i like because they can handle freezing temperatures if your wheel has to stay outside for 8 hours in the winter

ive pulled 8.5kw peak on my Master according to euc world and 5.5kw is normal which i really dont believe unless thats phase amps

whats euc world, phase amps or battery amps? i dont use euc apps unless i want to see something i find them annoying

44 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Does any wheel set its tiltback depending on pack temp? And I'm not referring to max temp, but simply reduce power output depending on ambient temp.

The s22 does that but this wheel has 125v mosfets so avoid like the plague:P

37 minutes ago, goatman said:

ive pulled 8.5kw peak on my Master according to euc world and 5.5kw is normal which i really dont believe unless thats phase amps

whats euc world, phase amps or battery amps? i dont use euc apps unless i want to see something i find them annoying

Euc wolrd reports phase amps and the peak power numbers are inaccurate

50 minutes ago, goatman said:

if you fully cycle a 40t/30q or nissan leaf battery from 4.2v to 2.5v 2x youll straighten out the discharge carve and rejuvenate the cell

Interesting. Do you have a link?

1 hour ago, dimos15 said:

The s22 does that but this wheel has 125v mosfets so avoid like the plague:P

S22 limits top speed when any of the battery sensors go 5C or below, not current though, also the mosfets in S22 is 150V mosfets.

@Jason McNeil question regarding a statement here: https://www.ewheels.com/product/veteran-lynx-2700wh-battery-3200w-motor-8kw-peak/

the 50S commands a slight lead over the the 50E for longevity, with >82% capacity retention over 600 cycles.

I might have missed it but where is the data/tests that supports this? I'm guessing this graph was based on some test data?

image.jpeg.42eb26b224ac589d8d1dba1427a0a3e6.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I'll be damned, but what this is saying is that there are 2 variants out there.

What do you mean? You can't buy a s22 anymore. The pro is basically s22 batch 2

5 hours ago, Rawnei said:

@Jason McNeil question regarding a statement here: https://www.ewheels.com/product/veteran-lynx-2700wh-battery-3200w-motor-8kw-peak/

I might have missed it but where is the data/tests that supports this? I'm guessing this graph was based on some test data?

image.jpeg.42eb26b224ac589d8d1dba1427a0a3e6.jpeg

Ewheels/Veteran have a lot more data directly from samsung.

Edited by dimos15

10 minutes ago, dimos15 said:

What do you mean? You can't buy a s22 anymore. The pro is basically s22 batch 2

We weren't talking about what you get when you buy one today, we were talking about wheel throttling during low temperatures, I have an S22, it's early batch, most likely 150V controller, it throttles speed during low temperature as I already said.

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Samsung cell options: 40T, 50E, 50S, etc