MTiny - My modded MTen3 that's just a pedals and motor!

Well, that's how it looks at least :)

I know it's a little spammy because I already posted this in the DIY section, but we all know nobody looks there... so I was hoping more people would see it here.

Go check out the thread too, there's a ton of pictures of the making of it!

• Like 3

I wish some manufacturer would come up with a line of modular wheels that dont have an integrated battery and instead you can plug a backpack battery into any of them. The wheels could be so much cheaper and lighter, and you wouldnt have so many batteries sitting around unused and degrading if you have several wheels.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

I wish some manufacturer would come up with a line of modular wheels that dont have an integrated battery and instead you can plug a backpack battery into any of them. The wheels could be so much cheaper and lighter, and you wouldnt have so many batteries sitting around unused and degrading if you have several wheels.

Yes, great fun to be riding along with a 10 kg pack on back, and to know, that the cord and plug is your life-wire ....

A backpack with a 1.000 Wh battery like for the V10F would weigh maybe 5 kilograms, or 5.5kg maximum. And the wheel would be that much lighter. It would be a great solution for people who have to carry their wheels on a regular basis, like so many have to do. I have done several 80-100 kilometer day trips on a EUC with a backpack that weighed a good deal more and it was not really an issue. 

If the cord and plug are properly designed I dont see an issue with them being a "life-wire". An XT-90 plug plus for instance an external casing you slide over it to keep it together after having joined the plugs would easily be safe enough.

1 hour ago, mhpr262 said:

A backpack with a 1.000 Wh battery like for the V10F would weigh maybe 5 kilograms, or 5.5kg maximum. And the wheel would be that much lighter. It would be a great solution for people who have to carry their wheels on a regular basis, like so many have to do. I have done several 80-100 kilometer day trips on a EUC with a backpack that weighed a good deal more and it was not really an issue. 

If the cord and plug are properly designed I dont see an issue with them being a "life-wire". An XT-90 plug plus for instance an external casing you slide over it to keep it together after having joined the plugs would easily be safe enough.

i see a very severe issue: the life wire can get stuck at a obstacle, fence, rail, door handle, people walking nearby with a bicycle, anything.  I would not ride such a gizmo with a drop bag counter.... Yes, i can ride with a backpack , but it interferes with my normal movement, my cog, and 5 kg are 5 kg regardless where they are, you have to carry it all anyway. Trollying my wheel in a shopping center, or carrying it because trolleying is to dangerous with that cord hanging from my back? nono.

Edited by Robse

12 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Way to poop on someones cornflakes!

Guys, this wasn't necessarily built to be practical. A lot of things in the world wouldn't exist if everything had to be practical :D

it's not pooping, just fact: that cord is dangerous.  But i like the invention, funny and unpractical, had the same idea to add more range to my own wheel. 😁

I dont think it is that dangerous as long as one pays some attention and takes some precautions (like the safety case I mentioned that would prevent accidental unplugging). I have ridden just such a wheel with a an external battery that I made myself because the original 16s1p battery had crapped out. I used four 4s li-po batteries that I had bought for my RC cars and it was not really a problem riding with a cord, at least not for my kind of riding - cruising leisurely on open roads. Of course a wheel like that would be very dangerous when riding trail through dense underbrush or sth like that, I'll admit that.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough about the purpose of this wheel - it's not for commuting or anything practical, it's entirely for screwing around and showing off in the parking lot before group rides. :D So I'm sure it'll serve that purpose fine.

I'm planning to make a magnetic leg strap to at least wrangle the cable a bit better. Otherwise, yeah, it's a bit of a hazard, but oh well! It's never gonna go over 15 anyway. Wear your gear!