What's your inner versus outer leg weight distribution in fast turns?

Mono

The "natural" lean angle of the wheel depends mainly on the curve radius, whereas the centrifugal forces depend on radius and speed. For this reason, in fast turns, the rider has to lean more than the wheel. In this situation, I was always in the impression that riders redistribute their weight to the outer leg and sometimes also lift the inner heal. Is this observation correct?

1613940691_Screenshot2023-08-26at16_19_03.thumb.png.c04672e071ba3782e4f52ab46a276ae1.png

https://youtu.be/8qKEBfsLlNA?t=51

What's your inner versus outer leg weight distribution in fast turns?

FWIW, in slalom skiing on a fast turn or vadal, my weight is generally on the outside leg while my CG is inside. The inside leg is reserved for the outer ski sliding out.  The heel is irrelevant. On a wheel, I expect that people may raise their heal as a facilitation of forward pressure on the pedal.

The dynamics on a wheel are a bit different from skiing, since your feet are 10 miles apart on a wheel, but skiing seems close enough to be considered.

27 minutes ago, sbb said:

The heel is irrelevant. On a wheel, I expect that people may raise their heal as a facilitation of forward pressure on the pedal.

I think lifting the heel and giving up the leg contact to the wheel as shown in the picture means to cease most of the possible control that could be imposed from this leg over the wheel which makes the other leg in effect the dominant leg. Riding one legged without heal contact seems at the very least sketchy and it is impossible without lower leg contact.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With my heavier wheels I find that the pedals need to stay as flat as possible to maintain speed or accelerate while cornering so I counter steer to a certain degree. If I am approaching a hard right turn my torso is lent over to the right. I then apply substantial pressure to my left foot to keep the pedals/wheel level. My right foot is trying to maintain speed and help stabilize when needed.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

similar to hanging off a motorcycle when taking corners.  works the same way for EUC.  google knee drag.  I used to knee drag on my R1 all the time. I use similar feet placement on an EUC..