Scooter vs EUC Top Speeds

6Foot6Dude

I was wondering why scooters have way higher top speeds than EUCs with similar powered motors. For example a Dalton Victor can reach a top speed of 74 km/h while a King Song 18L reaches just 50 km/h. The new scooter from Inmotion, the RS can reach a top speed of 110 km/h with its 8400 (peak) Watt power. While V13 Challenger EUC with 10.000 Watt (peak), from the same company can reach only 90 km/h despite it having considerably more power. I only use peak power figures since those are the ones usually available. 

When I thought about the reasons why that might be, gearing crossed my mind for a split second before I realized that is obviously an advantage for the EUC in terms of top speed with their very large rim and tire sizes.

The only other factor I could think of was EUC's need to balance and have some reserve power to stay upright but those who do top speed runs seem to have very little in their reserve and they do occasionally experience cut outs, which imply they do use all the power there is.

So why do scooters with similar power have higher top speeds?

As a question on a tangent, I have never seen a scooter cut out the power, even during when people test out their free spin top speeds. They just stay at that speed, does anyone know why?

• Like 1

My friend with a Nami Burn-E 2 has reached speeds up to 100km/h (indicated on display, not GPS) and it's quite scary TBH. I'm assuming that because the scooter doesn't have to self balance that all it's power goes to acceleration. Either way I don't want to be doing 100km/h on an EUC or a scooter 😅

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/25/2023 at 3:20 PM, 6Foot6Dude said:

As a question on a tangent, I have never seen a scooter cut out the power, even during when people test out their free spin top speeds. They just stay at that speed, does anyone know why?

EUCs don't cut out due to high speed either (as long as there is no malfunction). Just as not enough torque can be provided anymore to keep the rider balanced he faceplants. Many riders call this wrongly "cut out" because it often feels very abrubt. Overlean describes this better.

Scooters don't need or require nearly as much torque as EUC's, especially given many are 2 wheel drive. So scooter motors can be wound for speed.

We ride with a guy who has a Dualtron Thunder 2, and even at only 72v it will destroy any EUC on speed, from whatever start speed. That thing is rapid.