Help on first EUC as last mile solution

Hello everyone,

I'm relocating to Montreal shortly and exploring alternative transportation choices beyond a car. While public transport will be my mainstay, I seek an option for short trips. After researching ebikes, foldable ebikes, escooters, and EUCs, I'm inclined toward an EUC due to its comfort, reliability, and portability. The enjoyment factor isn't paramount, but EUCs seem ideal for experiencing a new city—crucial for my street photography interest.

Your firsthand experiences hold great value, so I'd appreciate your advice. Here are my specifications:

- Height & Weight: 5'9", 150lbs

- Priorities: Ride comfort and quality, reliability, easy handling in trolley mode, weight under 65lbs for public transport convenience

- Less Important: Speed (larger battery for safety preferred), entertainment value, flashy design, extra features

- Terrain: Mostly city roads and bike lanes (expect rough conditions due to harsh winters)

- Weather: Frequent rain and snow, so water resistance is a must

- Budget: Ideally below $4000 USD, but flexible (Eventhough the money is not burning a hole in my pocket, I prefer to buy once and not upgrade for atleast 3 years)

Thank you so much for your insights!

• Like 1

I believe the only wheels that claim to be waterproof are latest generation, like the Begode A2 and maybe the Commander mini. There may be others I am not aware of. The A2 does not have an integrated trolley handle, so I would skip it. @Marty Backe also found it difficult to ride. I own the MCM5 V2, its predecessor, which has been discontinued but can still be found for sale, and might meet most of your criteria, but it is not suitable for snow or more than light rain. There is only limited information about the Commander mini at this time. The Inmotion Adventurer and Kingsong S16 or 19 might have improved water resistance but are not described as waterproof.

In my opinion, riding in rain and snow is an intermediate riding skill that will take many months to learn. Ditto for riding with traffic. I would learn to ride in dry weather on bike paths, sidewalks, or, at the very least, bike lanes before attempting either.

@Kamyar1994 lucky for you there is a decent euc scene in Montreal! There should be all kinds of people to connect and ride with. Maybe even get some locals to give you feedback on the preferred wheels there. Love that city. Enjoy your time there! 
 @litewave you can actually get a trolly handle for the A2. It just has to be ordered separately, it’s not a standard add on for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The InMotion Adventure looks like it will be a strong contender for commuters. I have high hopes for it, but we will see. It touts an IPX6 rating, which is great for all weather riding. It has a huge range, high top speed, compact to fit on a bus / train or under desk, and the teaser videos indicate that it has easy maintenance. I'm psyched to see if it lives up to the hype. If it does, then the rest of the EUC companies need to take notice, and follow suit, or be left in InMotion's dust.

1 hour ago, skunkmonkey said:

If it does, then the rest of the EUC companies need to take notice, and follow suit, or be left in InMotion's dust.

For whatever reason, this doesn't happen. There will always be plenty of people buying Begode and Kingsong wheels, despite all the problems, and lacking of safety features, or waterproofing.

And of course the Patton is currently sitting on the throne, and it won't be that easy to dethrone.

But we still need to see how good is the V14 really is after it goes into production.

The V14 Adventure and Patton weigh 86 lbs though. So pretty far out from the requested weight class.

I also think that the V11 is probably your best bet. It’s fast for it’s weight, has a suspension, great design and build quality, and several different ride mode personalizations while other manufacturers have only three riding modes. Units before mid 2021 didn’t have a bearing protector, so they got noisy due to rain, but since then they don’t mind rain or snow. I’ve used mine throughout the winter since 2020, and before using protectors I had bearing issues but otherwise the wheel has been fine with the weathers.

Wheels usually last a year in the markets but the V11 is still one of the best selling wheels, after 3 years of it’s launch. That should tell you something. I’ve tried to upgrade for two years, but still nothing better for me has hit the markets.

Inmotion is coming up with a V11Y later this year with a few nice improvements, but it might be next year before you can actually get one for yourself.

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

also think that the V11 is probably your best bet

I agree it's a great starter wheel, or commuter wheel. Fully geared and loaded with my computer for work I'm about 225lbs, and the V11 handles my weight just fine. There are 2 pretty decent hills on my route, and it doesn't struggle. I haven't tried the winter yet. I just started EUC's about 2 weeks ago, but so far the V11 has been great for me. The suspension is nice to smooth out the rough roads a bit. I'm pretty sure I'll have to buy some honeycomb pedals for the winter so that the snow doesn't build up on the factory sandpaper grip pedals, but that's not a big deal. The speed is fine for me. I usually travel around 25mph anyway on my commute, so I don't need a machine capable of 50+mph. The trolley handle works great, and it can even be used with the seat attached. I haven't personally learned how to do seated riding yet, but others have said that it's extremely comfortable on this EUC, and at the time of release it was rated the best seated ride.

Edited by skunkmonkey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, skunkmonkey said:

Did you buy the ones from InMotion, or 3rd party? I'm definitely in the market for winter.

I bought the inmotion brand, but from the 3rd party ones I’ve seen I don’t think it really matters much. I paid 200$ for brand new. 

• Like 1

@Kamyar1994 whatever EUC you decide to get, absolutely be sure to get a full face helmet and wrist guards at a minimum. Preferably also get knee guards and a motorcycle jacket. You will fall a lot when you are first learning. Be patient with it. You'll get it down in a week or two, and it's pretty fun. Most people seem to think it's really cool, though I did have one 3yr old little girl exclaim "look Mom, it's a clown!" ;)

Edited by skunkmonkey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2