got tricked into buying 16XS and concerned for realistic range and top speed

as the title suggests, ebay deal cash in hand and yep. Seller lied about it being 16X and now I've got a half range and slower version. This worries me as I'm 95kg myself, without the gear. So will be 100kg+ with the gear and maybe a backpack. 

What would be the 'safe' top speed for this wheel esp as I go below 50% on battery? I suspect I will do that sadly more often than I would like because this version has half the battery capacity of the 16X, being 777w instead of 1540w. 

KS lists it for 28mph, I was thinking maybe set the limit to 

25mph / 40 kmh or would that be too optimistic for my weight? 

• Like 1

I can’t say what a suitable max speed would be for the 16XS, but even the 16X is generally considered a 42km/h wheel instead of the advertised 50km/h. So 40km/h might be pushing it, since you’d have little headroom to keep you upright if you were to hit a surprise bump. I did travel at 35km/h a lot on my 840Wh 16S, but have since realized how little headroom I had with that small wheel.

In my understanding the 16XS does have different limits for the dynamic tilt-back. So it does try to limit your speed based on the battery level and the burden. But with how much headroom? Probably not enough to rely on solely.

The key point though is the burden. You’re probably good going 40km/h as long as the burden is suitable. So don’t accelerate or brake very fast on it. Definitely don’t take any YouTube videos as a guide!

• Like 2

Hi @brucey and welcome. I wish you could be happy about getting your wheel. Did you get a good deal on it, at least? I saw that ewheels would sell a King Song XS for $1550 but they were out of stock. I hope you can enjoy your wheel!

If you get a tilt back then you will know not to push past that. I think you can probably hit the high speed of 45/km on a fully charged battery. That is really fast. The fastest I have gone on my Ninebot Z10 is about 20mph and it's unlocked to go 34mph if I wanted.

Edited by earthtwin
more ideas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brucey said:

as the title suggests, ebay deal cash in hand and yep. Seller lied about it being 16X and now I've got a half range and slower version. This worries me as I'm 95kg myself, without the gear. So will be 100kg+ with the gear and maybe a backpack. 

What would be the 'safe' top speed for this wheel esp as I go below 50% on battery? I suspect I will do that sadly more often than I would like because this version has half the battery capacity of the 16X, being 777w instead of 1540w. 

KS lists it for 28mph, I was thinking maybe set the limit to 

25mph / 40 kmh or would that be too optimistic for my weight? 

Sorry you got tricked bro, you're going to be walking (gliding) on egg shells. Maybe you can resell it. 

• Like 2

@brucey you gotta think positive man, like you can charge up faster, and you probably saved $500 of the price of a 16X but still got basically the same wheel. It doesn't seem like people really used their KS-16X as cruisers anyway, not like an 18XL. 18XL's always seem to have high mileage compared to 16X's. Besides, if you are just beginning, it will probably take you a while to ever be comfortable going 45 km/hr. That's a dangerous speed to be going. 15mph is just fine, and you could easily zoom up to 26mph and it would feel like a roller coaster.

Edited by earthtwin
typo
  • Like 3

hey guys thanks for all the replies! I've already practised on 16X for several weeks, my dad's old wheel. And was quite comfortable to go up to 40 km/h on it. Though I agree with everyone, I only did it for the 'limit testing' and actually would not go above 35km/h even when pushing it. My 'happy' speed was 25-35km/h (15-22mph) average of 22km/h (14mph) on most the trips I did. 

So I'm just basically trying to figure out what is the maximum safe speed I should go with it considering that I'm also quite a bit heavier rider in general. So I can set my tilt-back as well as beeps 2-3km below it. I definitely don't want to wipe out and will just accept that as a rule not to be broken lol. So if you had to put a ball park safe upper limit, what would you call it at? Thanks!

Edited by brucey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, earthtwin said:

and welcome. I wish you could be happy about getting your wheel. Did you get a good deal on it, at least?

Thanks for the welcome! Very excited to join the forum :)  And I am happy, kind of lol. I thought I got a good deal initially since it was damaged a bit, I hoped it would be no major components or 1 at most. And there was nothing else on the market so I went for it. 

However apparently most of the parts need changing so it will come to a similar cost I could have picked up a used 16X fo. Or 200-300$ shy of a new one. Though it will practically be new after all the parts changing :D 

I think it will continue to be a decent wheel for learning and will get plenty of joy out of it until the summer comes to an end. Pretty sure I could sell it off as used and maybe only take a loss of 100-200$ so its alright. Just you know, the feeling of thinking of getting a good deal and then turning to bad one gets you sometimes lol

Edited by brucey
  • Like 2

So I just got the wheel fixed up and picked up today, already did 10km ride through London! So much fun hehe. But actually I was just reading through the replies and would like the clarify some ideas. I know top speed on full battery can go 40+ (25mph) that's not what worries me.

What worries me is when I'm 50% or even 30% down, should I try not to exceed like 35kmh (22mph)? or 30kmh (19mph) even less? Ultimately, I want to stay safe, I understand that the tilt back as well as beeps should warn me should the burden become too high.

I can probably test that but if you guys could give me a ball park idea that would be great! Just a reminder, 16XS is 2200W motor, 777Wh battery. Thanks a lot again!

There are some thought about speed reduction and battery % in 

Also some "details" about the 16x with the firmware of this times.

KS wheels however reduce maximum speed (tiltback speed) according to battery percentage and burden. And one will get an alarm at 88% of maximum burden (12% safety margin)

If you log a ride with euc world to a csv file you'll see how all this values change with different burdens and battery percentages.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, brucey said:

when I'm 50% or even 30% down, should I try not to exceed like 35kmh (22mph)? or 30kmh (19mph) even less?

To emphasize @Chriull’s reply above, it’s not as much the speed that makes it dangerous but the burden. The lower the battery or the higher the speed, the less power there is available to respond to the burden.

Throw a bowling ball down the road and it requires zero power to accelerate or brake as it rolls away. If you follow a bowling ball’s speed curve at each incline and decline, you need very little power. But accelerate sharply and hard on inclines etc. and you can overburden the wheel at any speed.

Ride calmly and smart as the battery depletes and the wheel’s existing dynamic tilt-back should be perfectly good for keeping you safe.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 11:33 PM, Chriull said:

There are some thought about speed reduction and battery % in 

Also some "details" about the 16x with the firmware of this times.

KS wheels however reduce maximum speed (tiltback speed) according to battery percentage and burden. And one will get an alarm at 88% of maximum burden (12% safety margin)

If you log a ride with euc world to a csv file you'll see how all this values change with different burdens and battery percentages.

On 6/27/2023 at 1:01 AM, mrelwood said:

To emphasize @Chriull’s reply above, it’s not as much the speed that makes it dangerous but the burden. The lower the battery or the higher the speed, the less power there is available to respond to the burden.

Throw a bowling ball down the road and it requires zero power to accelerate or brake as it rolls away. If you follow a bowling ball’s speed curve at each incline and decline, you need very little power. But accelerate sharply and hard on inclines etc. and you can overburden the wheel at any speed.

Ride calmly and smart as the battery depletes and the wheel’s existing dynamic tilt-back should be perfectly good for keeping you safe.

Thank you guys! I'm actually finding myself having a hard time to hit 30kmh (18-19mph) now that I'm back in London due to people, dogs, kids narrower paths, bumpy surfaces etc. I always slow down when unsure and focus on safety rather than speed. So I think I'll learn it all bit by bit. Main thing now is the wobble control and all that.

Found some very cool info about pressing toes on one foot and heel on the other and then shifting this back and forth almost like skiing style. This helps with stability, been tricky to practise but yea as you mentioned safety first. I won't be testing the limits soon, lots to learn still hehe. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...