Showing some love to my neglected King Song 14D

on one

I am making suspensions pedals for my KS-14D and also jump pads out of a yoga block I bought.1166962809_suspensionpedals.png.fed522c1a74a5a749b42b0340f13d9ab.png1318664878_suspensionpedals2.png.08e4e384cdda45c1621542c1fd30c745.pngks14d.png.55291e27ff34cbd77e250e840049e0ad.png

Also, I need to turn this

1483720864_camppower.png.3e232e7ae51fab614cd22480831b3e32.pngInto this. I need it to provide me 750 AC watts for camping to power my heater.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Electrical tape, an underrated fastener.

I'd say overrated ! Constantly coming off for me, especially in response to temp changes and weather, and leaves that horrible gummy mess behind. I've been holding my helmet mirrors in place with that, and constantly wish I could think of a better way !

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I'd say overrated ! Constantly coming off for me, especially in response to temp changes and weather, and leaves that horrible gummy mess behind. I've been holding my helmet mirrors in place with that, and constantly wish I could think of a better way !

I used a combo of Velcro at the base (came with the mirror) and black industrial strength duct tape. Very stable. 👍

7 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

I used a combo of Velcro at the base (came with the mirror) and black industrial strength duct tape. Very stable. 👍

Yeah I got the velcro at the base, but went with the electrical tape to stop it clacking the peak at the front as I rode. I have black duct tape, but went with the other stuff cos I had happened to have it in white !

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Electrical tape, an underrated fastener.

lol, I just wanted to see if the arrows I bought at Walmart would work for me as pedal extenders. I'm going to use a stronger adhesive tonight but it has to cure all night, so I wouldn't be able to test it, also I have to glue the shock absorbers on and add the jump pads. I'm really shocked that this KS14D still functions perfectly after everything I have put it through. I'm also going to pad it up with some yoga mat strips along the edges and impact points. I was hoping @Chriullcould help me to find an inverter that I could turn on to bypass the motor for use as a personal power pack with 750 Watts of AC power to power my heater.

I wear an 11-1/2 shoe size and it's so nice to actually have pedals that fit my feet. Now I can use all parts of my feet to administer "command authority" I'll have to name it Master and Commander.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

I'm going to use a stronger adhesive tonight

Are those made out of wood? I would just bear in mind that even if you use 2 part epoxy, you are limited to the strength of the bond to the face of the material. Looking at the overhang, there will be a decent amount of force pulling up on the back when you lean forward.

43 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I'd say overrated ! Constantly coming off for me

i was being sarcastic. Also, bear in mind that not all electrical tapes are created equal. The company 3M makes a pretty good one. But they also make several other tapes that might be better suited for your application. Their adhesives are unmatched.

34 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah I got the velcro at the base, but went with the electrical tape to stop it clacking the peak at the front as I rode. I have black duct tape, but went with the other stuff cos I had happened to have it in white !

You can get it in white as well. Swap that electrical crap for the duct tape, you’ll be much happier. 

• Upvote 1

if you are serious about the pedals,  perhaps this suggestion would do the trick:

since you are DIY,  try the following:

- drill and tap some holes in your pedals;  i would guess #8 or #10 would suffice, fine thread.  you will also need to countersink the same holes in the wood pedals.  then get some #8 or #10 fine bolts, flat head;  the length of the bolts would be the thickness of the wood pedals plus the thickness of the aluminum pedals.  the bolts can use some loctite blue to prevent them from becoming loose during use.  as for the illusion of suspension,  i guess you can glue some thick firm foam or just leave them uncovered and add skateboard coarse grip tape (you may have to varnish or finish the wooden pedals to give the tape a surface to stick to)

- as for using your euc to power your power supply, you must tell us what the input and output of your power supply uses.  this will help us suggest what components you need to get the battery packs to work properly with your power supply.  perhaps the exact manufacturer and specs would be enough... and btw,  if you want the power from the euc,  the simplest way to use it IMO is to remove the battery packs altogether from the euc to save the rest of the euc from any potential damage

39 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Are those made out of wood? I would just bear in mind that even if you use 2 part epoxy, you are limited to the strength of the bond to the face of the material. Looking at the overhang, there will be a decent amount of force pulling up on the back when you lean forward.

yes, wood, it's very strong and stable, even just with the electric tape, lol Here's a photo of my adhesive, it's very strong, non toxic, and removable1237220499_nontoxicgorillagluestick.png.b916010766e09ba38d6676d77e544c58.png656516514_gripshockpads.png.894ea2d5e88c5b22ba7051ffa3cbc0b5.png1680444505_shockpadsonXXLpedals.png.d549061c2f0dbc6d4cf8498c33758f64.png

7 minutes ago, bpong said:

the exact manufacturer and specs would be enough... and btw,  if you want the power from the euc,  the simplest way to use it IMO is to remove the battery packs altogether from the euc to save the rest of the euc from any potential damage

I hope I can flip a switch on my wheel to enter personal power mode and then plug in my heater. I can cut holes in the shell to install the switch and the 120V AC plug. I hope I can use my wheel as my personal power supply for camping. I'm really comfortable taking my wheel apart and putting it back together. I should be able to find a spot for the inverter and the BMS controller if they are small, I just need to know what parts to purchase and how to connect them to the batteries, and other stuff. It would be great to work through this project together. Here's the heater specs, but I actually want to be able to just plug in a power strip into the AC plug I install in my wheel.546823463_heaterspecs.png.7af428af29a3e7795f371245c1ec320c.png

2 hours ago, earthtwin said:

Here's a photo of my adhesive, it's very strong, non toxic, and removable

Glue gun’s glue doesn’t seem to work well with temperature changes. Just a heads up depending on where you live.

I hope I can use my wheel as my personal power supply for camping.

You do realize that your 750W heater would suck a fully charged 14D to totally empty in about 30 minutes?

I should be able to find a spot for the inverter

I don’t think there’s room for additional electronics inside the 14D even if you designed the circuit board yourself. A 1000W step up transformer with an inverter and the necessary safety features isn’t just some tiny component you can cram in wherever.

Actually, there probably isn’t room for even the AC receptacle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @mrelwood for the heads up about the glue gun glue, I used this on my last set of suspension pedals, same method, and it's been holding up great! The little sanding pads are especially comfy barefooted, just for riding around short trips like to the mail box in my apartments and the nature trail we have around our complex. If a pedal comes unglued then I could use stronger glue, or drill holes as mentioned above. I hate to ruin my OEM King Song pedals though.

I agree with you about the concerns about only getting 30 minutes of AC power from the Lipo batteries inside of my KS14D. Would it a DC heater be more appropriate? I could convert to 12V DC and run a heater like this: 1584612434_12VDCCampHeater.png.7cf30a25395c563d01edc9c20f44c317.png607268938_CampHeater.png.2db56c49009c8d7428cb948a57126ed7.png

1 hour ago, earthtwin said:

or drill holes

There are already four M4 threaded holes in the pedals that you can use. Remove the plastic top part, and use it’s holes as a guide for where to drill the holes in your wooden planks, then acquire M4 bolts of suitable length.

I found this converter:

Do some basic math first. The only model from those that fits a 67.2V battery is the 72V -> 12V 10A version. 12V * 10A is the wattage that it can run. And how many watts was the 12V heater again?

• Like 1

Save yourself the headache, if you want a portable heater you should get this. It's probably cheaper than the inverter and it works great even inside of a tent. no electricity needed. I use it in my boat cabin.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232000-Indoor-Safe-Portable/dp/B002G51BZU/ref=sr_1_1?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

There are already four M4 threaded holes in the pedals that you can use.

That is fantastic information!

40 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Good suggestion, I have a smaller buddy heater but it gives me asthma and it doesn't produce enough heat.

Success!297188917_KS-14Dupgrade.png.1924f7232e7955b43688833dc2904d51.png235355545_Upgrade2.png.a6b419c87a8bfb5a283f6ca43f25ddd9.pngI did my first 3 jumps ever!

@mrelwood I looked at the bottom of my pedals, but there aren't any holes.588823471_noholesonpedals.png.4da1efc2c404e337967d7d70ac86642c.png

I keep gluing more and more on the pedals so they don't pop off. One pedal popped off but since I added a lot more glue on the pedals and around the sides it hasn't popped off again. I'm going to go ahead and drill the holes later if it pops off again, but so far it hasn't popped off while jumping. I might resort to gorilla taping 4 thin strips around and around. Also, I still need to add the mat padding strips around the edges for tricks and for beginners, cut off the tips of the arrows, remove excess tape and use glue instead on the original pads, do alot of sanding and goo be gone. Then think of a painting scheme to make it look better. I might just repaint the parts of the shell that show through white.

This project has given my King Song 14D new life. It's a lot more fun now.

Success!

So… Where does your leg go??

I looked at the bottom of my pedals, but there aren't any holes.

Correct. Like I said, the plastic TOP parts of the pedals are screwed in.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

So… Where does your leg go??

I'm not sure if I should add a leg support. The jump pad I made works great for jumping as it is. Another pad behand my leg might be dangerous to get out of.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Correct. Like I said, the plastic TOP parts of the pedals are screwed in.

oh, okay. The glue is definitely cured and holding now. Here's my progress on the pads to protect my wheel so far.

1889854162_wheelpad.png.896dcbaf82514f1b2868f2d8658b2de1.png51061037_wheelpad2.png.1b8d8ed2712cf51f3f3cd7d73d2bfc12.png

My pedals didn't even come off while I was sawing off the arrow tips. I'll do another pedal glue application just to make sure. I don't want to ruin my pedals if the glue is already working. I have needed these nice XXL pedals for a long time; I have way more control over this wheel now that I can use all parts of my foot.301283597_humanfoot.png.bfe9937e603a1f99b5e642bc009b4ddb.pngMust be careful not to break any of my foot parts.

Edited by earthtwin
more info