Is the Yamaha Niken 2-wheel technology possible for future EUCs?

jmsjms

There have been one or two fixed dual-tire EUCs in the ancient history, but they are unsuitable for anything faster than jogging speeds due to instability. I guess the steering behavior is not linear enough, causing speed wobbles more horrible than on any other EUC.

But the Yamaha Niken is different in that both tires tilt. Essentially they move up and down in relation to one another.

Steering issues as an EUC would probably still apply though. We rely on camber effect for our wheels to turn, which the Niken system would impair very effectively, unless there was an intricate dual controller system to make them spin at different speeds when tilted. Like a Segway/MiniPro/A3.

Why go through all that trouble though? A Niken EUC would still have to tilt when leaned to the side, so it still wouldn’t offer any side to side support when stopped or riding slow. I guess it would carve as if it were on rails, but would it really be worth it? Just think of the added cost.

Then there’s the width. The tires and motors would have to be very narrow for them both to fit. I don’t think a powerful enough motor can even be made narrow enough.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

But the Yamaha Niken is different in that both tires tilt. Essentially they move up and down in relation to one another.

Yes, I meant parallel tilting tires. But I am no engineer to understand the complexities of whether it's feasible.

By the way, I have and I use a 2-tire abs wheel, and it's way better and more stable than the cheaper 1-tire ab wheels. 

33 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

I have and I use a 2-tire abs wheel, and it's way better and more stable than the cheaper 1-tire ab wheels. 

But you aren't turning with the abs wheel are you? You just roll it straight back and forth? I'm asking because i don't know , have never used one.

20 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

But you aren't turning with the abs wheel are you? You just roll it straight back and forth? I'm asking because i don't know , have never used one.

Oh, actually I am turning left and right to work out my obliques. But I need to clarify that the abs wheel doesn't have tire tilt.

• Thanks 1

What do the double front wheels do on the Yamaha? I guess it's nice so the (heavy!) bike won't fall over when still, but what are they good for when riding normally?

I think it's surely technologically feasible on EUCs. Why not? At worst it will simply be crazy expensive and increase the weight;) The question is: but what is it good for?

Mechanically, it's analog to having one wide tire that is very uninflated (so it always fills the space between motor rim and ground, regardless of the tilt). Not sure what that would do for EUCs.

Interesting question though!

Edited by meepmeepmayer