Inmotion V12 Error out of nowhere

zer0dayexploit

I powered on my V12HS and suddenly got an error warning.

I use the stock charger, never deplete the wheel below 30% battery and don’t push the speed on this often (my hard limit is 60kph).

I was charging the wheel for a bit after riding home a couple hours earlier and was unplugging to go run some errands. I was at 90% charge when unplugged. What should I do?IMG_2860.thumb.png.aab03237986d459831713a93a9a33fd1.png

IMG_2861.jpeg

IMG_2862.png

Edited by zer0dayexploit
Adding an image

If you bought your V12 from Eevees, and is still under warranty, you may want to contact them and let them help you resolve it for you.

If you are out of warranty, you can consider what I did below. However, battery issues can lead to fires. So there are potentially big risks.

I have a 2nd batch V12 HS. I rarely go below 70% battery. And the wheel is not stressed. It is basically for riding on pavement around town.

For me anyway, I have gotten such errors in the past. I have seen several versions of such errors concerning the battery. It always ends up telling the owner that he may need to replace the battery, and contact his dealer. If I leave it, the error doesn't go away by itself.

So far, I have been able to resolve the issue myself. And I haven't seen any errors for quite a few months now,

All I do is to charge the wheel until the light on the charger goes green. Disconnect the AC plug.

I usually leave it unplug for about 4 to 6 hours. It can always be longer if you wish. Then plug back the charger again. Let it plugin for 2 to 3 hours. Unplug for 4 to 6 hours. Repeat.

After 3 or 4 cycle of this, try turning it on to see if the error goes away. 

For me, usually by the fourth cycle, the error goes away.

Also, what I find helpful is not to recharge the wheel right after you finished riding. If I can, I like to let it sit for hours before plugging in the charger.

The data sheet for the LG M50LT cells says to let the cells sit for at least 20 minutes before recharging. 

Another thing is not to unplug the charger right away, at the wheel's end after you have unplugged the AC plug. Wait until the wheel has turned itself off and gives out a beep.

Best of luck.

• Like 2

Ahh bless. While waiting for your reply I basically just left it entirely until I could try charge it to full. Leaving it now for a couple hours but the error code has already disappeared.

Thanks for the insight. I wonder if anyone else is having the same issues.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zer0dayexploit said:

Leaving it now for a couple hours but the error code has already disappeared.

That's great to hear.

If the error disappears so easily, I suspect the issue must have been minor. The battery related errors that I got never went away this easily, even after standard recharging. 

The V12 self-diagnostics for battery seems quite sensitive. It makes me think that if battery related conditions are off just a little bit, the error message will pop up.

I stopped getting battery error messages after I did the recharging cycle procedure for a few times.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

The V12 self-diagnostics for battery seems quite sensitive. It makes me think that if battery related conditions are off just a little bit, the error message will pop up.

Quite easily, yes. When the new battery safety oriented firmwares were introduced, the low level warning that could be disregarded had a threshold of 2V. Over 5V difference though and the wheel would lock up until checked by Inmotion remotely.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if the limits and behavior have changed since.

Were these pictures taken after a full charge?

One pack is at 96.9v and the other at 97.5v. I guess the error is about that 0.6v deviation between packs.

One warning sign of pack damage is that it can't reach max voltage. For the V12 it's 100.8v. Leave it on the charger for a while to see if improves.

If on the other hand you have a dead cell group in one pack, and can't go higher than 96.9v then it's a problem. Then you should not continue to ride the wheel.

However I assume that in the case there's pack damage it's more than one group and that they're over 3.0v. Otherwise the wheel shouldn't turn on. In any case, leave it on the charger for like 24h and then check that screen again where it said 96.9 - 97.5v

• Like 1

I've never had a wheel where packs have seperate readout but if I were you I'd keep an eye on the difference between the packs.

Packs develop increased internal resistance as they age, and self discharge. Maybe when you ride hard or in hot temperatures, or some other condition, the pack voltages deviate. If you figure out when that is, you could write that here. It might give us a clue to why it's happening. (It's likely the cause of the error)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same issue yesterday after only about 1100km. Ambient temperature was 24 degrees celsius.

After a demanding ride I connected the charger directly. Wasn't aware that the batteries need some time. Not exactly sure why but the error disappeared after some power cycles and charger reconnects. I will keep an eye on the pack voltage and report if I see something odd.

• Like 1

The pack voltage difference is never more than 0.2V. I did notice that even though the state of charge is 100%, the charger keeps consuming about 300W of energy for quite some time. Assuming this is for balancing but not quite sure. Is this normal behavior?

30 minutes ago, Unicyclone said:

I did notice that even though the state of charge is 100%, the charger keeps consuming about 300W of energy for quite some time. Assuming this is for balancing but not quite sure. Is this normal behavior?

It’s not balancing, but it is normal. It’s the CV (Constant Voltage) phase of the charging process. The charger LED should still be red at this point, indicating that charging is not finished.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 2:28 PM, mrelwood said:

It’s not balancing, but it is normal. It’s the CV (Constant Voltage) phase of the charging process. The charger LED should still be red at this point, indicating that charging is not finished.

So is it safe to say that you have to charge your InMotion wheel to 100% everytime you charge to avoid this error?

8 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

So is it safe to say that you have to charge your InMotion wheel to 100% everytime you charge to avoid this error?

I’m not sure if they are linked. Charging to full (not just 100%, but to the green led and beyond) is definitely recommended though, ref the above video. But in the video I talk about balancing the battery cell groups. Balancing the battery packs is a very different thing, and to my knowledge depends on completely different circumstances.

But definitely keep monitoring the pack voltages, and maybe even write them both down before and after each charge. 

• Upvote 1