Pedal creaks when adjusting weight on it

2disbetter

I just got another new V12 HT. The left pedal is creaking when I am turning or adjusting my weight on it. The pedal feels real secure, but it is creaking none the less. I can feel the pedal creak. 

Is it just that the pedal isn't tightened enough? I looked, but I don't see how I can tighten things? Any thoughts on what it is? Kind of worried the wheel is once again new, and I have this issue. 

[There are large grub screws at the ends of the pedal axle. Tighten them first.]

Edit: No there aren’t! Wasn’t thinking.

There’s a smaller grub screw under the axle at the very center that now adjusts the stiffness of the pedal open/close. I’d try it slightly tighter and looser.

If that doesn’t help, then remove the screws at the pedal axle ends, loosen the middle one, and remove the rod to be greased.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 1

Wow, did you get a new V12 HT under warranty?  It you did, that's fantastic. 

I have a V12 HS. I would presume the V12 HT works the same way.

I have removed the pedals before on my V12.

At the outset, let me say I really like how Inmotion designed the pedal to pedal-hanger folding hinge interface. 

Unlike Begode and other makes of wheels, the pedal hinge system works a little differently. It is designed to be durable. 

Believe it or not, there are no hex grub screws at the ends of the pedals.

The pedal bores are lined with a durable grippy rubber coating. The pedal rods fits tightly in this lined bore. It is an interference fit, and therefore, there is no play between the pedal rod and the pedal. And also no grub screws are required at the ends. This design is very durable. Both the rod and bore are protected from corrosion because of this design.

Now comes the pedal rod, and pedal-hanger design. It is a little different. The pedal rod is a round rod with one difference. There is a flat side machined along the length of the rod. And the pedal hanger has a matching bore. That is to say the hanger would have cost more to make than one with a standard round bore. But the benefit is huge. The steel rod doesn't rotate inside the aluminum alloy bore. So, much more durable. 

Moreover, there is a hex grub screw at the bottom of the pedal hanger. This screw is adjusted to remove play, and restrict the pedal rod from sliding back and forth.

Perhaps by tightening this screw, you may be able to eliminate the noise you were referring to.

Oh, I almost forgot, there is a weakness with the Inmotion V12 stock pedals. I have one pedal in which itself is making noise when I move my weight on the pedal. This didn't happened to me until after my warranty period was over. And I never took it apart the pedal to find out why.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 2

Aren't the V12 pedals height adjustable? I saw a guy say that he lost some of those bolts and ripped a threads. Not good for such a crucial area.

Might want to check you have all bolts and that they're tight and with loctite.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 2disbetter said:

I tightened the bolt under both pedals. It was allen key type of bolt. Making both super tight got rid of the creaking. 

That's great. That was an easy fix.

But, it shouldn't need to be that tight. Perhaps there is corrosion. 

That hex grub screw is at the bottom of the pedal hanger to keep the pedal from sliding forwards and backwards, and take out some play. The D-profiled pedal rod already doesn't doesn't rotate inside the matching bore in the pedal adjustment block, which is fastened to the pedal hanger.

The grub screw has a sharp point at the end that digs onto the pedal rod.

Perhaps remove the grub screw and spray WD-40, or PB Blaster in the hole and let it spread inside the bore. Use a flashlight to shine inside the scew hole and center the hole in the pedal rod that was made by the pointy grub screw. By doing this, you can avoid making a fresh hole in the pedal rod when you screw in the grub screw. Not a big deal though.

The smaller bore at the top right is where the pedal rod goes through, in the top image below. Notice the cross-sectional profile is like the uppercase D, not circular. 

Note also the pedal rod has the corresponding cross-sectional profile, as shown on the bottom image. Also shown at the bottom of the pedal adjustment block is the hex grub screw.

Monokoleso-Inmotion-V12-72.jpg

Monokoleso-Inmotion-V12-33.jpg

Edited by techyiam