Mystery parts came out of S18

ursi

I was taking apart my S18 to change the rim, and while doing so (I think while removing the wheel or shortly before) these 4 pieces fell out of somewhere and I have no idea where they go. They seem to be stacks of washers stuck together + a washer. One stack is one washer shorter than the others so presumably that single washer goes with that stack. If anyone knows where these go, please let me know.

IMG_20230528_121445.jpg

I think washers are sometimes used to align the motor axle in its bracket, but people have used only one or a few washers for that. I definitely wouldn’t expect them to use a stack of washers at the factory.

There seems to be only three stacks. I’d look for a fourth one somewhere in the wheel.

• Like 1

They are "glued" together? 

If they simply fell out themselves - they weren't really holding anything. Maybe simply placed/glued to wheel shell? 

Check the wheel shell inside for glue marks. If they are glued together - maybe they where glued to shell somewhere..

Aside of side shell panels, somewhere for more robustness against drops/falls. I don't know where they could have been used otherwise.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I don't recognise the parts but as a pure guess it might be a weird solution to this issue where this indent highlighted below can dent the battery pack and have come from somewhere around this area of the plastic cover..

image.thumb.jpeg.4f4febae43690ec25ec76e603f9a12e6.jpeg

hm nope, looks like I'm just getting battery pack damage 😂😭

4 minutes ago, ursi said:

hm nope, looks like I'm just getting battery pack damage 😂😭

Most people shave that part off.. Or put something "soft" over it. Like Yoga mat or something.

No joke, if your wheel drops sideways - you may damage batteries.

2 minutes ago, ursi said:

hm nope, looks like I'm just getting battery pack damage

Its not a major problem, the dents don't seem to cause any issues as fairly light and the battery packs have protection inside. If it does worry you just grind down the offending item above with a file takes 5 seconds and you can always put something in its place. I used silicon rubber but again thats not really an issue either.

• Upvote 1

Update: I decided to just go ahead and put it back together, ignoring those things. The off road tire that was on it no longer seems to fit, so now I'm thinking the previous owner somehow used these stacks of washers to make the tire fit. Also, I found a 4th stack that I guess had rolled away.

Edited by ursi
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

Can you contact the prior owner and ask? 

Yep, and I have, and that is indeed what they are for. No idea how that works yet, but presumably the previous owner can help with that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ursi said:

They seem to be stacks of washers stuck together + a washer.

looks like they were stuck together with JBWeld? I do think it's a user mod, I certainly haven't seen anything like that in my S18.

They were placed between the axel and the frame, to drop the wheel/raise the body, in order to make the off road tire fit. (I still can't get it to fit, but that's beside the point)