Whatever to look for in a used rs19 hs

Hi guys 

I'm looking at a 1st gen (I think) rs19 hs (no display, right facing speakers, don't know about the board) with about 700kms.

What should I look for mainly and/or ask? 

Thks 

Edited by ninogui

"Can I unscrew both of the side panels to inspect interior condition?"

I'd mainly want to check which 900wh packs it has (you'd want the packs to have 50E or M50 LT cells or even P42A/40T and not M50 T) as well as check for signs for submersion or other abuse.

It's like 9 or 11 screws per side so it shouldn't be a big deal to either do this yourself if buying in-person or have the seller send pictures with panels removed.

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 2

I see. Besides display, board cover (seen elsewhere) and speaker facing are there any board or bearing improvements worth mentioning or it doesn't really matter? If well taken care for I guess 700kms is not much? 

There were several controller board iterations, the specifics of which I don't remember, but I got mine when they switched to the black version. For the details on the differences, you'll probably want to search as they're likely covered in older threads.

I want to say the first gen (and some later batches up to mid-late 2021) had the larger diameter bearings, and there was originally an issue with motor plate design trapping water against the bearing seals causing the bearings to prematurely fail. A video detailing this issue and what they did to solve it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ninogui said:

What should I look for mainly and/or ask? 

I think the standard check for any EUC is still the most important one: Does it charge to (near) the expected maximum voltage? If it remains 1V or more short of 100.8V, you might be facing an expensive battery replacement down the line.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a RS19 v1 with the first original green motherboard. 

Beyond what was already mentioned you might want to:

Ask to do a free spin to see if the piezoelectric speaker works.

Connect to Bluetooth to test if speakers are busted. 

Make sure the little internal fans works (maybe free spinning can start it depending on ambient temps) 

This might not be a problem in newer wheels such as the RS19, but my old msuper v3 had its motor wire tips melt themselves onto the motherboard, I'd check that they're removable.

Honestly the bearing is just fine in my 3 1/2 year old RS19 which has regularly ridden in the rain. 

Extend the trolley handle fully 

Check that both charge ports and USB actually works.

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 2:07 PM, ninogui said:

I'm looking at a 1st gen rs19 hs (no display, right facing speakers)

Avoid it.

Those first-gen bearings are practically un-serviceable, and you cannot change to the new motor design because it requires different pedal hangers and different chassis shells. 

You want the 2nd-gen, smaller bearings.
More here: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/21171-hollow-bore-motors-friend-or-foe/?do=findComment&comment=378542

• Like 1