Begode MSP RS Motor swap

Hey fellow riders!

Does anyone know whether Begode's Motors and pedal hangers are interchangeable between hollow bore and axle motor models?  I am still looking for a solution to the problem with my axle nut always getting loose. I thought of maybe putting an RS - motor inside my MSP (only if I can get a cheap one).

On 4/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, Boris Lämpel said:

Does anyone know whether Begode's Motors and pedal hangers are interchangeable between hollow bore and axle motor models?

They are absolutely not.

And the EUC chassis shell plastics are also hugely different.
And to make it even more complicated, RS went through two completely different generations of motor, hanger, and shell- so "which motor-type RS?" is an important part of any DIY project involving it. 

Conversion between MSP and RS is not possible. The battery packs are the only shared component.

11 hours ago, alcatraz said:

the old style motors are kind of superior IMO. No bearing problems and weighs less.

You must have never suffered the aggravation of axle nut loosening! Retightening properly required custom tools. Good riddance, stub axles... 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

You must have never suffered the aggravation of axle nut loosening! Retightening properly required custom tools. Good riddance, stub axles... 

I did. It was annoying to make that tool. Luckily I had a dremel and some patience. 

The lack of loctite is pretty serious though. Sure axle fatigue is not a nice thing to think about when the wheel is 5 or 10 years old but the nut itself should be an easy fix. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2023 at 9:29 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

They are absolutely not.

It may be a bit late, but I have the same problem again.

Can You please tell me why not? I am thinking of the second generation hollow bore motor. the pedal hanger width (which is the most important) is the same, only the thickness of the motor with attached pedal hangers could vary. 

When I started tightening the axle nuts on my MSX I only got one 24mm socket and cut a slot in it. 

I'm not able to torque it properly (hard to anchor the wheel) so over time it could loosen a bit. Not a huge problem. They're easily accessible with just the outer side covers off.

The easiest way to torque it is to have a second socket and put a wrench on either side. You can try using high strength threadlocker compound too. I used loctite 222 and when I retightened the other day I couldn't see any left on the threads. For such large threads you need something stronger for it to hold.

This combination will ensure that it doesn't loosen again.

Edited by alcatraz

The simplest conversion to consider hypothetically is: putting an RS small-bearing motor and hangers (my 2nd image above) into an MSP shell. 

But I'm sure it will not fit, because the RS motor&hanger assembly is substantially wider than the MSP shell. The MSP is too narrow to accept the RS motor and hangers. 

You could experiment with machining the hangers to reduce width... but you cannot remove very much, because there is not much clearance between all these components.

On 4/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, Boris Lämpel said:

problem with my axle nut always getting loose

This is exactly why many of us MSP owners upgraded to RS...

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

I would suggest that you look for a RS without batteries (Begode used to sell 0wh models) and transfer the batteries from your MSP... So long as they are not the 50T packs. If they are 50Ts I would part out the MSP and purchase a RS with the updated axle and cells. 

• Like 1