modifying a begode controller for throttle input? (for ebike. custom firmware?)

Murdomeek

Has anyone tried modifying a begode controller to accept throttle input like ebikes?

I have a beat up 100v euc that I want to make an ebike out of.  the euc pretty much has everything.  (Motor, battery, controller)

100v ebike controllers are very rare and expensive ($900+ for 15kw electric motorcycles).  I know the stock controller is fully capable of handling 100v at 100a. I was wondering if anyone has tried modifying the firmware to accept throttle input rather than the internal balancing as input?  

Thanks

• Upvote 1

@Freestyler is probably your best bet to see what he can do through the firmware. Last time I chatted with him he did not know how to adjust the board orientation in the firmware so I think that would be the first hurdle as you need to find a way to disable the gyro entirely as a first step.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Murdomeek said:

. I was wondering if anyone has tried modifying the firmware to accept throttle input rather than the internal balancing as input?  

Did not hear of any such mod.

EUC acceleration is indirectly controlled by the tilt angle of the mainboard measured by some imu. With some PID control loop the EUC tries to keep the IMU on the mainboard straight.

Acceleration should be controllable (more or less) by the tilt angle of the controller. Should be tried before going further, if this really gives acceptable control for an ebike.

Afaik the IMU communicates with the CPU via an I²C bus. Imo not a suitable protocol to connect some control device at the handlebar with the controller (sitting somewhere between batteries and motor - to keep the high current wires short).

I'd think one would need some protocoll converter for a safe communication between the "acceleration control lever" and the controller. Which has to emulate the IMU for the controller. Or the IMU is placed somehow clever on the lever?

Otherwise, using some some standard throttle would not be a simple modification of the firmware but a more or less whole new firmware.

9 hours ago, thendless said:

@Freestyler is probably your best bet to see what he can do through the firmware. Last time I chatted with him he did not know how to adjust the board orientation in the firmware so I think that would be the first hurdle as you need to find a way to disable the gyro entirely as a first step.

Afair @Freestylerread out the pid parameters of the controller? If he can change them to just a P(roportional) value (I and D "disabled" ?0?) the motor current/pwm %/torque/acceleration (or whatever is controlled by the pid loop) should be proportional to the tilt angle?

If such a change is necessary at all - acceleration could follow already "good enough" the tilt angle?

Do you know if the IMU is internally part of the ic chip?  Or a separate component?  
If it is a separate component, I can desolder and highjack the output signal of the imu that goes into the main IC.  

And use an arduino (or similar) to translate the throttle pwm to whatever value ranges for the original imu ouput.