Sherman S cutout on jump landing: an early pattern emerging (Patton as well)

supercurio

Let me get this straight, two cutouts is all the evidence of all this conjecture?  Seems a bit alarmist by nature.  Even with footage of people whom know how to do big sends, doing big sends without issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Sam said:

Let me get this straight, two cutouts is all the evidence of all this conjecture?  Seems a bit alarmist by nature.  Even with footage of people whom know how to do big sends, doing big sends without issues.

I don't understand your complaint, LeaperKim is looking into it, if this is an actual technical issue that will get fixed we're all winners here.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chanman said:

I know the S22 has 5x680uF,

21 hours ago, chanman said:

the V13 is almost 3 times with 18x220uF.

By me adding 4 additional capacitors to Abrams, I now have 6x560uF. The motor does run a lot smoother, more responsive, and quieter.

S22: 5x680uF = 3400 uF

V13: 18x220uF = 3960puF

Abrams: 6x560 = 3360 uF.

I guess for fun someone could modify their sherman-s controller with additional capacitors and see if that helps the issue. Given the big begode wheels are still in the 1-1.5mF range it would appear they aren't strictly necessary, but it's possible it could help if the problem is related to current demand spikes.

• Like 1

Im dead tired so I haven't reviewed all the replies in this thread yet, but from the video it seems the wheel simply was over torqued, even if just for a split second. That current spike is more than enough to overwhelm the electronics. I don't see an issue.

Unofficial update.

LeaperKim continues its investigation and does not have a clear path on how to fix or improve this yet.
Several options are considered starting with firmware tuning. If it doesn't produce the results desired adding more hall sensors in the motor in future production could be considered.

There was even some discussion between manufacturers on that topic.

Therefore the focus at the moment is on hall sensor signal input and processing when the motor instantly changes rotation direction, more than on power delivery.

It was suggested to get expert jumpers in the loop in order to understand how much resistance to cutout is expected in order to match this level of performance and safety.
So I'll use my connection with reviewers to try to get this started.

In the meantime @inMotional, some questions and requests:

• Is your Sherman S untouched out of the box, or was the wheel opened for any reason - like tire change?
    The reason I asked is that I talked to a Sherman S owner who's wheel would cutout if he pressed on the top cover firmly after changing the tire, and that was solved by better cable management.
  • Would you be able to record in video either another cutout or where/how it tends to happen?

I'll try to get that to LeaperKim so they can try to reproduce. If it's for the same cause as the the landing cutout then it's a breakthrough. We should figure out if it's only your unit or all of then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, supercurio said:

Is your Sherman S untouched out of the box, or was the wheel opened for any reason - like tire change?
The reason I asked is that I talked to a Sherman S owner who's wheel would cutout if he pressed on the top cover firmly after changing the tire, and that was solved by better cable management.

Definitely untouched and not opened. The first incident happened on my first real world ride. Like after 5-10 km. The only change is the soft mode setting.

2 hours ago, supercurio said:

Would you be able to record in video either another cutout or where/how it tends to happen?

I'll try to find a pattern that reproduces the behavior. My first effort today was unsuccessful. Will play around with the high speed setting and try again

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, inMotional said:

I'll try to find a pattern that reproduces the behavior. My first effort today was unsuccessful. Will play around with the high speed setting and try again

There could be a risk involved in this. Is it possible to contact the shop where you purchased it and make warranty action for the investigation? Just to be on safe side.

• Like 2

According to sources on telegram this is a firmware bug and LeaperKim will put out a firmware update to fix it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...